Calling clam experts

Higher Thinking

So I've been running my Radion lights pretty high and unfortunately I think I've had some negative fading on my corals because it's too bright. Anyway, I decided to reduce me lighting and the post couple weeks the corals have actually colored up more.

However, I've noticed some problems with a couple clams. They seem to have little nips taken out of them. I have no idea if this could be related to sudden reduction in lighting or maybe some other issue. I do have a green canary blenny which I've never seen nipping, but they are a possibility. The clams are always open and photo receptive.

75 gal with custom sump

Kh: 8.9

Cal: 440

PO4: .04

Lighting is Gen 3 pro. Hanging about 8 inches off the water. Maxima is on top of rock work (about 18"away from light) and squamosa is on the substrate.

Lighting used to be 80% overall with whites and blues at 100. After reading a bunch of other lighting graphs from people, I've reduced it to 70% overall with blues at 100 and whites at only 40. So whites went from 80% to 28% (.7x40).

I can't get a shot of the maxima, but here's one of the squamosa. You can see how the front edge of the mantle is chipped at two places.

6da5dd9c4650568154a9a24f53740b76.jpg

Thoughts?

That looks like a definite fish nibble to me. Blenny's are always active. I suggest building a little eggshell crate around the clam so it can repair itself. That way if it starts to heal you know it is definitely your fish (it most likely is) and you have the time to catch the little guy. 

I think your wife is really attached to that fish and it would break her heart if you were to get rid of it. Utter despair I am thinking. . . So to save your wife's feelings, I will gladly take both of your clams, and home them in my system for you, free of charge.  :love_heart: You will be welcome to come visit anytime you like, and when you come I will give you the joy of performing a water change for them so they will know you still love them. Of course you would have to bring your own salt... I'm thinking every Tuesday at 7:30 am. Please make coffee when you arrive so it will be ready when I wake up. 

It's a fair deal, do you know what they charge for dog boarding?

:laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh: 

That looks like a definite fish nibble to me. Blenny's are always active. I suggest building a little eggshell crate around the clam so it can repair itself. That way if it starts to heal you know it is definitely your fish (it most likely is) and you have the time to catch the little guy.

That's a really dope idea. I might have to give this a shot. It seemed more likely than any issue with lighting because I would imagine the clam would just expose more mantle if there was insufficient light, verse deteriorating the mantle. Thanks!

I think your wife is really attached to that fish and it would break her heart if you were to get rid of it. Utter despair I am thinking. . . So to save your wife's feelings, I will gladly take both of your clams, and home them in my system for you, free of charge. :love_heart:You will be welcome to come visit anytime you like, and when you come I will give you the joy of performing a water change for them so they will know you still love them. Of course you would have to bring your own salt... I'm thinking every Tuesday at 7:30 am. Please make coffee when you arrive so it will be ready when I wake up.

It's a fair deal, do you know what they charge for dog boarding?

[emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23] [emoji23]

You have always been very noble. Thanks for offering such a tremendous opportunity. Do you take sugar and cream?

Just black, I wouldn't want to put you out [emoji6]

I think if the blenny is larger than the eggcrate that sounds like an awesome idea. If it is smaller you might be able to wrap your cage with that extra light netting you have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the blenny. I'm no mathematician, but when a $20 fish starts gobbling on beautiful clams...well, let's get the fishing bait out!

Though im not convinced those are fish bite marks...have you ever seen the blenny looking longingly into the thousands of eyes of the clam?

Edited by Mandinga

Probably the blenny. I'm no mathematician, but when a $20 fish starts gobbling on beautiful clams...well, let's get the fishing bait out!

Though im not convinced those are fish bite marks...have you ever seen the blenny looking longingly into the thousands of eyes of the clam?

Yeah, after much observation I think the blenny might get vindicated. I have been watching the tank as much as possible and I saw my stupid pink spotted goby snap at one of the clams. I've increased feeding (vodka reduced phosphates to near undetectable levels so I have room to work with) and have kept up observations. If I see it again, I'm eating some goby sushi.

This is a great idea. I might try it if I get motivated. The weirdest part is that the tears are only on the little 2-3 inch clams. Nothing wrong with that massive clam I added from Douglas' setup. If something wanted clam mantle, I don't know why it wouldn't just eat that.

I recently had the same experience with a wrasse. It started wrecking a maxima I have but I too bought a clam from Doug and it has left that one alone. My theory is that it's too large for the fish to register it as food right away. Either way I did the same clam cage with zip ties and egg crate. I have a pretty small blenny that is actually obsessed with the maxima (he regularly looks like he's protecting it or laying in it) and he couldn't get through. I hope things go well with your clam(s). 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...