Upgrade Time!

Arsonmfg

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow! Your tank is amazing! Great colors on your spa and great growth?

What are your secrets oh spa master?

Haha, thank you!

Stable chemistry and a good feeding regimen... No GFO in this tank, all phosphate removal is done by the skimmer or consumed by the corals. I do run carbon for a day or two every month or so just to polish up the water.

• Like 1

So the only thing I feed my fish is Hikari Ocean Plankton, it's a mix of mostly mysis shrimp and a few other things but it's SUPER clean food and everything gets eaten within a few min of feeding. You can feed this and it won't even knock the head of your skimmer it's so clean.

As for coral food I feed 2 x per week a slurry that consists of 10ml each of Aquavitro Fuel, Red Sea Reef Energy A&B and 12ml of Oyster Feast.

I also add Acropower every other week and only at night. Strangely enough I've found that dosing the Acropower at night keeps the fuzzy brown algae off the rocks and sand. 

I just dump the mix in front of one of the Vortech's and turn the skimmer off for an hour.

Edited by Arsonmfg
  • Like 2

Thanks for sharing!! Amazing colors! Love the aquascape! Is that an juvi emperial angel in the pic???

Looks like the emperor is in full changing mode and almost in its adult stage.

Your tank is looking amazing! Beautiful colors and growth!

Thanks for sharing!! Amazing colors! Love the aquascape! Is that an juvi emperial angel in the pic???

Son, I didn't even know that this was your screen name until a few weeks ago lol. We should get together and do some trading!

He's about 70% changed to his adult colors. He's a beast and definitely runs the tank now!

So the only thing I feed my fish is Hikari Ocean Plankton, it's a mix of mostly mysis shrimp and a few other things but it's SUPER clean food and everything gets eaten within a few min of feeding. You can feed this and it won't even knock the head of your skimmer it's so clean.

As for coral food I feed 2 x per week a slurry that consists of 10ml each of Aquavitro Fuel, Red Sea Reef Energy A&B and 12ml of Oyster Feast.

I also add Acropower every other week and only at night. Strangely enough I've found that dosing the Acropower at night keeps the fuzzy brown algae off the rocks and sand. 

I just dump the mix in front of one of the Vortech's and turn the skimmer off for an hour.

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

Good information and great pictures. This is another of those threads that makes me want to asses my regiment seeing as your colors or so vibrant. Super clean system with some sleek components, I am sure this tank puts a smile on your ace everyday.

A question, could we get a shot of the sump in action, I was interested in your means of nutrient export via macro, carbon dosing, or de nitrate media? One day I would love to swing by, pick up some frags, and see your tanks. As said before, good job man.

• Like 1

Good information and great pictures. This is another of those threads that makes me want to asses my regiment seeing as your colors or so vibrant. Super clean system with some sleek components, I am sure this tank puts a smile on your ace everyday.

A question, could we get a shot of the sump in action, I was interested in your means of nutrient export via macro, carbon dosing, or de nitrate media? One day I would love to swing by, pick up some frags, and see your tanks. As said before, good job man.

Thank you,

Sump is about as basic as it gets, filter socks are changed once per week, and all other nutrient export is done via the skimmer. No GFO, I will run carbon a couple days every month or so but not all the time. I snapped off a few crummy iPhone pictures so you can get the gist of the setup. 

Anytime you want to come up and check out the tank or pick up some corals just let me know.

IMG_4082_zpswssfogeg.jpg

IMG_4083_zpsb4g3ejtl.jpg

IMG_4084_zps9dv2l2iq.jpg

• Like 2

Son, I didn't even know that this was your screen name until a few weeks ago lol. We should get together and do some trading!

He's about 70% changed to his adult colors. He's a beast and definitely runs the tank now!

That fish is nice Chris! I can cut you a big piece of shades of fall. I wanted to stop by and check out your tank one day. Minh said your tank is awesome!!!

That fish is nice Chris! I can cut you a big piece of shades of fall. I wanted to stop by and check out your tank one day. Minh said your tank is awesome!!!

He's cool for sure, he's also caused a total ich outbreak from kicking everything's a$$ in the tank letting everybody know he's the boss now, the big blue hippo used to run the show... All the fish are eating well so I think it'll pass and things will be fine. I already told my wife no more expensive fish so if all these end up dying I'll have a tank full of damsels and chromis lol.

You're welcome anytime, I'm sure we can find a couple pieces for you to take home.

• 3 weeks later...

So what T-5 combo did you go with?

Got this in your text this morning but in case any others are wondering, the new combo is 3 Blue+, 2 Actinic, 1 Aquablue Special & 2 Purple+ obviously all ATI bulbs.

The tank and stand will actually be going up for sale, not sure exactly how soon since were just now starting the planning / permit phase of building a new house.

The new house will include a larger tank, how big I haven't quite decided on yet =)

Dang Chris, that is looking sweet! My tank is struggling to get by right now for no apparent reason and I'm super jealous! 

That sucks, these little ecosystems can run on autopilot for so long yet the strangest unknown things can piss them off.