Upgrade Time!

Arsonmfg

• 2 weeks later...

What? I thought we had you converted?

Nope, I tried it and honestly I think it was killing some of my color no matter how I tweaked things. The little bit of shimmer is nice but in the end I still like my tubes better.

Maybe if I tore down a 52 and used 4 multichip clusters I'd find it better but I can't see replacing two 54w tubes in the center and swapping for the 26 leds being a positive trade off. With the optics I'm sure the par would be comparable but it looks like crap with the optics so... out they go!

I'm also excited to get some of the new Pacific Sun bulbs, they've got two new bulbs coming out that look like they'll have A LOT of potential.

In the end I should probably give the leds a little more time but I'm just not feeling it, I think I'll have better and healthier looking corals under all T5.

The only other project I might take on is converting my powermodule to dimmable ballasts and controlling them via my Apex, that'll probably be where I eventually end up.

Edited by Arsonmfg

What is the t-5 combo you are running and what are you going to be running?

I'll be running the same combo I ran on my old tank till Pacific Sun get's around to releasing those new bulbs.

Front to back All ATI bulbs.

Blue +

Coral +

Actinic 

Purple +

Blue + 

Actinic

Coral + 

Blue +

This is pretty much the same combo Travis is running on the display tank at the shop now although he's running a couple Giesemann bulbs (I believe just the actinics) because for some reason the ballasts on the Red Sea tank's don't like to fire a full load of ATI bulbs.

Here's more info about the new Pacific Sun bulbs... the spectral charts for both bulbs look really promising.

Nope, I tried it and honestly I think it was killing some of my color no matter how I tweaked things. The little bit of shimmer is nice but in the end I still like my tubes better.

Maybe if I tore down a 52 and used 4 multichip clusters I'd find it better but I can't see replacing two 54w tubes in the center and swapping for the 26 leds being a positive trade off. With the optics I'm sure the par would be comparable but it looks like crap with the optics so... out they go!

I'm also excited to get some of the new Pacific Sun bulbs, they've got two new bulbs coming out that look like they'll have A LOT of potential.

In the end I should probably give the leds a little more time but I'm just not feeling it, I think I'll have better and healthier looking corals under all T5.

The only other project I might take on is converting my powermodule to dimmable ballasts and controlling them via my Apex, that'll probably be where I eventually end up.

Indeed, the new T5's coming out are awesome!  Been watching them for a couple months, not much talk about them though...  Their new UV bulb could turn out to be a game changer.

I'm suprised you are running a purple though, that's a lot of red!  Have you though about using 2 of their crystal UV bulbs?  If you are looking for added color, this is it.

Edited by Bombertech

Indeed, the new T5's coming out are awesome!  Been watching them for a couple months, not much talk about them though...  Their new UV bulb could turn out to be a game changer.

I'm suprised you are running a purple though, that's a lot of red!  Have you though about using 2 of their crystal UV bulbs?  If you are looking for added color, this is it.

Yeah they seemed to have quit talking about them now... I emailed Yorgos but have yet to hear back. I haven't tried their Crystal UV, from the specs it looks pretty much the same as the ATI Actinic bulb. Have you compared the two? If so what were the noticeable differences?

I'm a fan of the Purple + bulb although I might swap it out with another Coral + just to see how I like it.

I'm not really chasing color, I've been quite happy with my previous combo in the dimmable sunpower, I think most people will agree that have seen my tank that I've got pretty good color in most all of my corals.

The crystal UV has more rounded violet/hyper violet. The new ultra wide UV would be good for replacing the coral plus.

Hmm... I'll have to put some of those on my order as well to try out.

You have to be careful with ATI's spectrum charts, they are not spectral graphed, they are just hand sketched.

Interesting!

There is always room to increase color!

This true...

I might be able to scrape up a few frags for those crappy LEDs, I collect crap so they would fit right in :)

First time I've seen this thread-Sweet tank!

I'll re_purpose them for something I'm sure, there's really nothing there that's stock from the 26 anymore. Pretty much every part has been modified to work inside the Powermodule.

I actually changed out the purple+ for another actinic bulb, changed the pucks around and did some tweaking on the led's and I'm pretty happy with how the tank looks at the moment.

I really need to get my hands on a par meter. I'm just not sure If I'm producing the amount of light I want.

Rock work looks amazing! did you build it outside the tank?. I like the clean look of the rimless tank, very nice job

Thanks! I built everything outside of the tank on a table, the rock on the left is comprised of 6 different rocks. Essentially there's three main structures. The one on the left is one solid piece now.

I love the look of a rimless tank, it's a PITA to clean but it's worth it.

Edited by Arsonmfg

I was just kidding, I've enough extra LED fixtures to light up 4 more 4' frag tanks-more on that later......

Looking forward to more pics-nice work so far!

I've got a real nice 60x30x14 tank going up for sale soon with frag racks to hold a few hundred plugs...

On a side note I've started replacing corals that were lost in the transfer with some new pieces, excuse the pics, they were just banged out quickly. The photos don't even do these pieces justice but it'll have to do for now...

DSC_8206_zpsbdc5433d.jpg

DSC_8203_zps4efb87fd.jpg

DSC_8202_zpsc81c0a72.jpg

DSC_8204_zps62d6d2a4.jpg

Guess it's time for a little update, colors light slowly coming back... Went lights out for a few days and things lightened up pretty while I added new sand and pulled the leds out of my powermodule. Back to 8 T5's and things already look better!

New bulb combo is 

Blue+

Coral+

Actinic

Coral+

Purple+

Actinic

Coral+

Blue +

This week I'm going to try moving a few bulbs around and see how things look but overall I'm pretty happy with the current tank color.

DSC_8221_zps20519f5a.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 months later...