Upgrade Time!

Arsonmfg

Well today the tank showed up so I guess I'll put together some sort of a build thread... 

Some of you have seen my 30x30x18 cube, if not... well I have a SPS problem and now it's just gotten bigger. The new tank was built by OBD in Seattle. It measures 48x30x19.

IMG_3384_zps09f46dd5.jpg

• Like 2

Oh man, that is sweet!

Thanks! You,ll have to come by and check it out once it's all up and running.

Looks good dude! I like the stand too. Slick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks, the stand came out pretty slick. Taylor did a good job on the welding and the magnetic panels are covered in the same microdot Formica laminate that my previous stand was done it.

Tomorrow I'll try to get some pics of the new sump and my modified ATI Powermodule that now has 6 T5s and and two multichip LED clusters.

Nice! Look forward to it. 

Let me know if you need a hand getting it up at all. 

Will do! I'm hoping to start sawing corals off of the rocks to moving them to the QT tank tomorrow.

That's a beauty! Definitely tagging along. 

Thanks!

Beauty!

No brace at all? Your braveness surpasses that of William Wallace.

The height of the stand will make that tank a top down piece of art.

This is the biggest rimless tank I've owned, while cleaning can be a total PITA I love the clean look of a rimless tank. Structurally I'm not "too" worried but if I sit and think about it I'll drive myself nuts so out of sight out of mind right?

I started keeping shallow tanks about 6-7 years ago and until I can pay someone to clean my tank every day and place every coral exactly where I want them I'll never own another tall tank again, bruised arm pits suck! Plus I really do have a thing for shallow tanks. The awesome top downs don't suck either =)

So as for today... I got all the plumbing done tonight.

Here's a picture of the sump I built, it's quite the monster at 48x24 the large main chamber is a frag area that's 24x19, it'll be lit by an AI 26.

So tomorrow I'll be getting the coral QT tank setup, dipping all my corals and keeping them in QT for the next week. 

IMG_3302_zpse07a05d6.jpg

Dude that's a sick sump! Clean... Seriously though, your a light snob. AI 26 on an in sump frag tank. [emoji1] Can't wait to see it all full

Haha! Well if i could keep my 8x24 ATI Sunpower down there I'd be all over it but I'm afraid it'll produce too much heat and I'm not sure it'll fit.

Then again I might need to go out and grab the tape measure from the garage!

Thanks!

This is the biggest rimless tank I've owned, while cleaning can be a total PITA I love the clean look of a rimless tank. Structurally I'm not "too" worried but if I sit and think about it I'll drive myself nuts so out of sight out of mind right?

Haha yeah! The shallowness of the tank really helps the structural integrity.

"Honey what was that breaking glass", "well let's hope it was just a burglar:)"

Dude that's a sick sump! Clean... Seriously though, your a light snob. AI 26 on an in sump frag tank. [emoji1] Can't wait to see it all full

Don't forget I also chopped up another 26 to put in my ATI Powermodule lol

your acrylic skills are looking good!  sump looks great

Thanks, I had a good initial instructor =)

So the tank is wet with the new rock structures built and added sand earlier today, I'm pretty happy with how it's come along although I'm amazed my wife still loves me after completely destroying our house to do this project. 

On the down side I've lost a few corals in QT unfortunately... a couple pieces I really liked but nothing I can't hopefully replace at some point.

Anyways, here's how it sits at the moment... With everything doing so poorly in QT I think I'm going to go ahead and move everything into the new display tomorrow, time for LOTS of super glue on the fingers yay!

IMG_3413_zps299e3c5d.jpg

• Like 1

Well I hate the rockwork.... makes me all jealous and such :ohmy: Seriously though it looks dope. :encouragement:

If you lost any of the corals that I have frags of let me know and I'll get the frags back to ya. I know you have a pretty good bank around town, but just sayin.

Can't wait for tonights updates.

So I guess an update is due... It appears the the RTN has slowed and possibly stopped, there are a few pieces that I'm going to trash that I don't suspect will make it.

Most of the corals have been mounted and a few are showing a little color improvement today. So hopefully this is a sign of things to come!

There are a few corals still scattered amongst the sand bed that I need to mount and will get to this week.

DSC_8194_zpsb419856f.jpg

• Like 2

Couple months and you'll have all the color back!

Also love that left structure, bonzai!!!!!!!

I have a similar aquascape(though not nearly as awesome as yours) and coral placement has become tricky to say the least. 360 degree aquascaping is definitely the future, but man o man is it hard to put a nice coral on the backside of a rock!

What do you plan on doing with the underside of the ledges? Gorgonians?

Edited by Mandinga

Hope it's turned the corner for you! I have no doubt it will be awesome in time. Sucks you had so many problems.

Thanks, it's pretty odd to me that the Poly Pad and some Carbon could do so much good and so fast... Which leaves me to believe maybe it was some sort of a toxin or just pissed off corals that really didn't like the clean nutrient free salt water. Either way I'm just happy the worst seems to have passed.

That left structure is amazing. Great job! I really like the rimless. I have a rimless but have a screen on top. Id prefer it off, but also prefer my fish not on the carpet.

Thanks, I'm pretty happy with how it came out... It's not too often you have a picture in your head and it actually comes together like you envision it. At least not for me, I usually have to aqua scape a few times before I'm ever happy.

Looks really, really nice!  Love the Naso tang too, a favorite around here...

I have a soft spot for Naso's... I'm glad I'm back to a decently sized tank that I can keep one again.

Couple months and you'll have all the color back!

Also love that left structure, bonzai!!!!!!!

I have a similar aquascape(though not nearly as awesome as yours) and coral placement has become tricky to say the least. 360 degree aquascaping is definitely the future, but man o man is it hard to put a nice coral on the backside of a rock!

What do you plan on doing with the underside of the ledges? Gorgonians?

The left rock was the first one I built, I had some other really large pieces I was going to build from but things just kinda came together.

Coral placement can always be tricky, thankfully I've started all these from frags so I've got a pretty good idea of the growth structures of each piece so that helps but it's still tricky finding a good balance that helps the colors contrast one another.

As for the color, it can't come back soon enough... I was fairly happy with how my cube was looking with the exception of the lack of space left so it was hard doing the upgrade knowing there would always been some losses and things would be pissed off. This definitely wasn't my first rodeo, this whole upgrade and transfer just kept throwing me curve balls. I'm glad it's all done for the most part lol.

I haven't decided what to do under the shelves at this point, some gorgs would be cool... I haven't quite gotten there yet.

Edited by Arsonmfg