Fishmanmike's 210gal build!

fishmanmike01

Tank is almost full at this point, one more trip of water and its go time. I filled up the sump last night to test fire the pump and watch what happens through the return bar. I'm super pleased, very even flow through all 4 outlets. Drained 40 gal out of the sump in 1 minute flat.

In another note, I was able to get my ro/di hooked up this weekend and it says the incoming water has a TDS of 228.

So the tank has been filled to the brim! I fired up the pump once again, this time under full operation only to discover a dumb a$$ design flaw. I'm actually somewhat embarrassed I not only missed this but had not even put a thought to it.

The refugium operates at a height of 16". The rest of the sump operates at about 10". So what does that give us??........ A freakin waterfall! I swear I could slap myself upside the head.

So.... How do I fix it? The only thing I can come up with us another baffle with a filter medium in between to kill the noise. Any other ideas?

Here's my mistake.

0E52EFC5-E0B9-418B-8ED6-CE7216D17D76_zps

Too late. I wish I had. Was talked into this route. I'm now down to 4. I'm feeling pretty bad about it. Not to mention the wasted $.

Yikes! Yeah, I would've definitely gone a different route. Oh well, nothing you can do now for those that didn't survive. What I would do though, is get a nice piece of live rock from a member and seed the tank in hopes of halting any further problems. Bacteria can double about every 24 hours, so a nice piece of established rock should do wonders for you.

Yikes! Yeah, I would've definitely gone a different route. Oh well, nothing you can do now for those that didn't survive. What I would do though, is get a nice piece of live rock from a member and seed the tank in hopes of halting any further problems. Bacteria can double about every 24 hours, so a nice piece of established rock should do wonders for you.

I started with not only a bottle of bacteria but a few large pieces of live rock from my brothers system. I let both stew in the tank for nearly two days before adding fish.

Ammonia has never been over .50 thus far and no detectable nitrates yet. Three of the little guys succumbed to the power head unfortunately. Gotta figure out a guard of some sort for that.

Good news! Laying in bed this morning typing my last post, it dawned on me. The overflow boxes I have are originally designed to have the returns plumbed inside of them, so there is that little half moon spot it the top to nestle them. With this setup I've done an over the back so I have a nice little hole exposed now.

When I introduced the fish they swam right at the left overflow (which feeds the fuge) and it took several hours to realize I was already missing a fish. Needless to say I found it in the fuge.

So this morning the realization.... The filter sock! The right overflow feeds that and I've never thought to look there. So I jumped up and checked it out and bingo! 3 of them just chillin. Back to 7!!

The 3 that I have lost were sucked to the side of a power head.

Good news! Laying in bed this morning typing my last post, it dawned on me. The overflow boxes I have are originally designed to have the returns plumbed inside of them, so there is that little half moon spot it the top to nestle them. With this setup I've done an over the back so I have a nice little hole exposed now.

When I introduced the fish they swam right at the left overflow (which feeds the fuge) and it took several hours to realize I was already missing a fish. Needless to say I found it in the fuge.

So this morning the realization.... The filter sock! The right overflow feeds that and I've never thought to look there. So I jumped up and checked it out and bingo! 3 of them just chillin. Back to 7!!

The 3 that I have lost were sucked to the side of a power head.

Haha! That's crazy man! Good to hear though. Better get those areas blocked.