Are you having troubles???

reefnjunkie

It would be more like;

Would you like to know "how to get away with murder" (plotting), how about keep a thriving SPS tank (drooler) (they go hand and hand you know)

Please follow the link...(devil)

And leave your rainbows and unicorns at the door you *****

Glad you and Randy worked things out. (drinking)(peace)

I stand corrected when I see your thread post up on the site (and it keeps getting bumped to the top, as all these drama threads do(whistle)) Your thread title sounds like hope for the cure for that

"not so fresh feeling". ( I had a funny pic to go along with this but internet explorer doesn't work well and can't get chrome on this particular desktop)

As I said in my PM to you Brad, i was doing this at work, I'm still expected to do the job I'm actually paid for, not like the volunteer work i was doing here, and I had something come up that I had to take care of before I could Pm you. As a long time moderator I figured you would understand that sort of thing but I guess I misjudged you.

Your post was still a jab, inappropriate, and completely unnecessary.

I'm sorry I tested your patience. Maybe that's something you could work on. Is that clear enough?

Fixed my first post so it reflects what was meant, and my apologies for what was perceived as an unnecessary inappropriate jab-:(

FWIW, you never tested my patience (clap) so no apology needed-(flower)

Am I missing something? Was a new site needed? If so' date=' for what purpose?[/quote']

A new reef discussion/keeping site has recently opened. Micah built the site and is the Admin. The site is NWReef.com. Several people from this forum have joined that forum.

Personally I do not see it as a rival site.

The objective for that site and this site are very much the same. If two entities have the same goal/purpose, they are not rivals IMO. This is a very large community. There are several sites/clubs in the region. We even work with some of those clubs to promote our events and their events. Northwest Reefkeeping, and Portland Area Reefkeeping both helped advertise our October meeting. We are traveling up to the PSAS frag fest in Febuary, and will have a table there. We have welcomed them posting on our site and our facebook to get the word out what they are doing.

It's all one community in my eyes.

I wish nothing but the best for any site or club that has the same purposes as us. It's not like we're going to save the reefs and educate the masses by ourselves. The purpose here is to share information, and that includes links to other sites. People on our site routinely link to other sites/club forums and it has always been allowed. We had a board member just last week ask people to go to Reef 2 Reef and cast votes. I regularly link to articles hosted on ReefCentral or even to the article hosted on other sites that I authored.

We are here to share information. Share away :D

JMO. I am speaking for myself and not on behalf of the PNWMAS :D

• Like 1

Kevin, I think the majority of the people have joined the other site (including myself and Brad as he states on ths thread) because the PNWMAS is so difficult to access and use now. I am not pointing the finger at Micah or anyone for this. From what I understand Vbulletin was bought out and the new upgrade sucks and nobody saw it coming. Most of the other forums that use vbulletin have stuck with the older version.

I know fixing this place may be expensive but I am willing to bet that the majority of the members would agree with using the bulk of the pnwmas budget to get this place up and running smoothly. I have thought this for a long time when I was on the board and served as President that we have always needed more IT help. I also have felt that we could even make this place bigger and better if we had this. We have had members join from all parts of the region largely because of Goldenbasket's live sales that are only here. The site is what the majority of us use. If it means we will not have a budget for a guest speaker or a budget to provide food at a meeting I think most people would support this as many of the members due to family, work and other commitments can't make it to most of the meetings.

So if the purpose of the new site is the same as this one, then why was it created in the first place? If this site is working fine, why would there be a need to create an identical site? Seems like a waste of time and resources to have 2 sites for Portand metro area.....it also seems like a waste of time for users to travel back and forth between the 2 for the same information. Its not like PNWMAS is overcrowded and needed more space.....doesn't make any sense to me. (scratch)

A new reef discussion/keeping site has recently opened. Micah built the site and is the Admin. The site is NWReef.com. Several people from this forum have joined that forum.

Personally I do not see it as a rival site.

The objective for that site and this site are very much the same. If two entities have the same goal/purpose, they are not rivals IMO. This is a very large community. There are several sites/clubs in the region. We even work with some of those clubs to promote our events and their events. Northwest Reefkeeping, and Portland Area Reefkeeping both helped advertise our October meeting. We are traveling up to the PSAS frag fest in Febuary, and will have a table there. We have welcomed them posting on our site and our facebook to get the word out what they are doing.

It's all one community in my eyes.

I wish nothing but the best for any site or club that has the same purposes as us. It's not like we're going to save the reefs and educate the masses by ourselves. The purpose here is to share information, and that includes links to other sites. People on our site routinely link to other sites/club forums and it has always been allowed. We had a board member just last week ask people to go to Reef 2 Reef and cast votes. I regularly link to articles hosted on ReefCentral or even to the article hosted on other sites that I authored.

We are here to share information. Share away :D

JMO. I am speaking for myself and not on behalf of the PNWMAS :D

For the record, I DID NOT link to Reef2Reef! Someone else did that.

I will state once again that the reason the post was moderated was because of the derogatory remarks made about the site, not the link. I have made this clear over and over again, but I guess people will hear what they want to hear to support their own agenda.

If you, Kevin, as President of PNWMAS would like to support another site, that openly bashes the club you represent, that is your business. I only hope that the good people of PNWMAS can see through your thinly veiled attempt at damage control.

When I was a board member, I agreed to support the club, which includes defending it from those who would see it destroyed. I am no longer in that position. Good luck with that now that you are doing it almost alone.

• Like 1

Kim that is where almost all of my effort is being spent right now.

I think the software for the site kinda sucks right now too. It is a crappy situation to be in. That is why I am working on fixing it. Sure it'd be nice to get help, but since I'm kinda doin it alone right now, and until a couple weeks ago, I had no idea what any of these buttons did, it's slow. Until it can get done, were gonna have to make due with what we got. I'm doin my best. It's not really a money thing for the site, it's a time thing.

Randy, Good afternoon to you too.

I am here volunteering so we can help people learn about fish and coral. I'm not one to think this is the only website or club people should go to. It is a hobby, it's supposed to be fun. If people are having fun in the hobby going elsewhere to learn about fish and corals great. I think everyone should be able to have fun on their hobby forum.

This is a club about fish and corals. Phrases like thinly veiled attempt at damage control, and defending it from those who would see it destroyed really have no place here. That is way to serious for a local fish club man. Whatta ya say we all get back to talking about fish and corals. That is what we're here for right?

the site slow? Micah created this fudging mess. then decides to go start his own site.

I really do feel bad about the condition I put the site in, but I've owned up to that. So you're little "Micah sucks" attempt is moot - and dumb.

To be fair though, I went with the recommendations from vBulletin. If the blame should go anywhere, it should go to the company who makes the crappy software they are pushing people to upgrade to. Chief almost made the same mistake as he has said. One of the selling points of the new software was "better performance", which as we can see isn't the case. Also, on the test server (with the same specs, on the same hosting provider) it performed well with one or two people on it. Once it was brought live, it struggled to keep 4+ people surfing succesfully. On top of that, the instant backups run, it buries the needle of the memory - causing the server to choke at midnight every day. I was on my way to upgrading the site. So, I posted my "here's the plan" post. I was approved to start the migration testing, etc.

During that time there was some disagreement on the direction of the club happening that I did not agree with. I've been clear about how I think the forum should be ran to the BOD/Officers from the very beginning - before the upgrade, at the moment of my being elected. This difference in opinion made me question the effort I've been putting into the site. Would you keep putting coins in a machine that kept poking you in the eyeball? A better idea was the cut ties, think about stuff, then put my money where my mouth is. Which is what I did. I can now put my blood sweat and tears into a site I can run the way I feel it should be run.

I will re-state though, that I feel bad about the condition this site is in. It really wasn't supposed to go down like this. I had a feeling people would start saying I did it on purpose... To sabotage.. Those people need to wake up, get real, and realize it's a hobby forum. :)

I was waiting for the first stone to be thrown by somebody... Had a feeling it would be you Kris. That said, you're still welcome on NWREEF. Just leave your attitude at the door. Cool? Do we need to discuss this further? Does anybody need to kick me in the nuts some more? Let's get this over with. :)

kicked-in-the-nuts-o.gif

I really do feel bad about the condition I put the site in, but I've owned up to that. So you're little "Micah sucks" attempt is moot - and dumb.

To be fair though, I went with the recommendations from vBulletin. If the blame should go anywhere, it should go to the company who makes the crappy software they are pushing people to upgrade to. Chief almost made the same mistake as he has said. One of the selling points of the new software was "better performance", which as we can see isn't the case. Also, on the test server (with the same specs, on the same hosting provider) it performed well with one or two people on it. Once it was brought live, it struggled to keep 4+ people surfing succesfully. On top of that, the instant backups run, it buries the needle of the memory - causing the server to choke at midnight every day. I was on my way to upgrading the site. So, I posted my "here's the plan" post. I was approved to start the migration testing, etc.

During that time there was some disagreement on the direction of the club happening that I did not agree with. I've been clear about how I think the forum should be ran to the BOD/Officers from the very beginning - before the upgrade, at the moment of my being elected. This difference in opinion made me question the effort I've been putting into the site. Would you keep putting coins in a machine that kept poking you in the eyeball? A better idea was the cut ties, think about stuff, then put my money where my mouth is. Which is what I did. I can now put my blood sweat and tears into a site I can run the way I feel it should be run.

I will re-state though, that I feel bad about the condition this site is in. It really wasn't supposed to go down like this. I had a feeling people would start saying I did it on purpose... To sabotage.. Those people need to wake up, get real, and realize it's a hobby forum. :)

I was waiting for the first stone to be thrown by somebody... Had a feeling it would be you Kris. That said, you're still welcome on NWREEF. Just leave your attitude at the door. Cool? Do we need to discuss this further? Does anybody need to kick me in the nuts some more? Let's get this over with. :)

kicked-in-the-nuts-o.gif

if you had good intentions that's great. if you or any of your friends want to down play the speed of a site you created that's not okay.

remember good intentions don't justify the out come.

I'm not holding any grudges. your free to do as you like but don't be critical of this site...for we put our whole trust and faith in your superior admin skills.

That's right Micah, it's just a hobby site. A hobby site that has been around for years and years. It has helped so many people, including myself start and keep marine animals in our homes. So after years of success, you destroyed it in a matter of months, insulted just about everyone you cane into contact with, bailed, started your own site, and somehow managed to take just about everyone you pissed off in the process with you.

You should be in politics.

Okay, want to go back to 2012 again? That's an option. Remember when that happened? Let's try and keep things in perspective there buddy.

For the record, backups from before the switch to the new forum still exist. Reverting to that IS an option. You'd lose everything from then to now, but it's an option. A familiar option to anybody who's been on this site for years and years... since it has happened more than once before I got my hands on anything.

That's right Micah you started your own site.

NWREEF.COM (highfive)

(laugh)

Fix the site, I'll be back and so will everyone else-like it or not

Text me if you'd like

(in the event you ask Randy, I popped in because someone texted me saying you've gone off the deep end again, I had to see for myself-that's it-now I'm out again (innocent) )

EDIT:love that gif rofl

Cut and run!

You're a smart guy Pontus.. so you know I didn't actually cut and run because you've read all of the previous posts and you know all of the facts before you said that, right? I didn't cut and run.. I quit. I broke the ties to the officers and board of this forum. I no longer wanted to be involved in the political nonsense - I made this plainly clear. I like participating in the hobby, not lording over it or trying to rule it and dealing with peoples "needs". When I left, I offered my full help in the migration of the site to the point where the site was stable and the problem has been resolved. This has nothing to do with the new site. I believe as Kevin does that we are not rival sites. It's actually good for a local community to have multiple venues to play from. Especially if the leaders of both forums are in agreement that we have each others backs. This is the case now.

My offer still stands to fix this site. I have never...... I'll repeat NEVER.. rescinded this offer. I have NO problem fixing this site, getting it migrated to IPB, etc. I even had a PNWMAS theme created... It's sitting right here in my dropbox folder. Give me the word.... (Somebody who can)

My offer still stands to fix this site. I have never...... I'll repeat NEVER.. rescinded this offer. I have NO problem fixing this site, getting it migrated to IPB, etc. I even had a PNWMAS theme created... It's sitting right here in my dropbox folder. Give me the word.... (Somebody who can)

There it is-solution solved, the offer is on the table-lets get this place fixed so it can be back to the glory days rworegon spoke of (clap)

Seriously why wouldn't this offer be accepted-Micah has no grudge, no tricks, no agenda just fix the shitty platform-Jeremy I believe offered to assist.

Is it time to start a thread in the members section or can an executive decision be made-Like Obamas amnesty plan-Just do it(rock2)

That's right Micah, it's just a hobby site. A hobby site that has been around for years and years. It has helped so many people, including myself start and keep marine animals in our homes. So after years of success, you destroyed it in a matter of months, insulted just about everyone you cane into contact with, bailed, started your own site, and somehow managed to take just about everyone you pissed off in the process with you.

You should be in politics.

Randy I get where you are coming from. I admire your loyalty to this club. It has been around for years and I am very loyal to this place as well. I would not have met the wonderful people I have and have still been in contact with if not for this site. People are on the other site simply because they can access it and it's like a fresh start.

I am letting things go from the past because holding on to them isn't going to get this place up and running again.

I know people are going to say that Micah intentionally [language filter] up the site so he could start a new one but I don't believe that. I also know that it appears like he [language filter] up this site and then cut and run and started his own and yes I agree that looks bad. However I do have the utmost respect for Chief and he feels like the upgrade wasn't Micah's fault and that it was because the company switched hands. The reason we lost 2 years of data was the same reason. The server we used, automatically used to back things up and it didn't.

I don't think he should have stepped down when things were in such disarray but now he is offering is help. Perhaps we should take. I am hopeful if we begged Softy, Dtech, Chief, and maybe I could even get Grassi to crawl out from under the rock he has been under and helped out.

Okay, want to go back to 2012 again? That's an option. Remember when that happened? Let's try and keep things in perspective there buddy.

For the record, backups from before the switch to the new forum still exist. Reverting to that IS an option. You'd lose everything from then to now, but it's an option. A familiar option to anybody who's been on this site for years and years... since it has happened more than once before I got my hands on anything.

I would actually love to go back to 2012. Life was good then.. I was President... :) Seriously (and I am being serious) perhaps we should put up a poll. So my understanding is we would lose everything from when the upgrade occurred but then would be back to the more functional version of Vbulletin? I could live with this because at least we would have a site that people could access and use again.

I think Kevin was saying that the least cost and better option is to go to IPB. Some IT expert need to explain to the mass why so.

Backward option to vb4 require additional time and money and also we have an issue with share server that need to be addressed also sooner the better.

What we need is not just keep talking about what has been or what if but concrete plan to bring this plan into motion so the site get fixed for good.

What and where is the hold up that is what we need to hammer. Hammering each other bring us to square one and never ending story.

If the club need to form special committee do it immediately don't procrastinate.

I think Kevin was saying that the least cost and better option is to go to IPB. Some IT expert need to explain to the mass why so.

Backward option to vb4 require additional time and money and also we have an issue with share server that need to be addressed also sooner the better.

What we need is not just keep talking about what has been or what if but concrete plan to bring this plan into motion so the site get fixed for good.

What and where is the hold up that is what we need to hammer. Hammering each other bring us to square one and never ending story.

If the club need to form special committee do it immediately don't procrastinate.

Okay Chief, Jeremy, Grassi, Softy you out there? Hello...? You IT guys want to chime in here?

Rudy you seem to know a bit about what you are talking about. If IPB is the way to go. Then let's do it

The shared server is a problem too has always been a problem and is why the site goes down so much. There were no reasonable options when I was President that would not be cost prohibitive but it seems times have changed.

Any IT people want to chime in?

I don't think he should have stepped down when things were in such disarray but now he is offering is help.

Actually, I told the board (or at least a good subset of them - and I'm paraphrasing here) "I'm about to resign in a few moments, but I will still help you with this site migration< not going to leave you high and dry". I'm sure somebody can dig up that chat transcript, but I did say something to that effect. So, prior to my "cut and run", I did offer to finish what I started and make right what I have admitted I borked. I'm sure Darryl and Softy are laughing their collective asses off right now. :)

Let's revert to 2012.. seriously, Kevin.. give me the word and the passwords.. I could have it done in an hour.

(in the event you ask Randy, I popped in because someone texted me saying you've gone off the deep end again, I had to see for myself-that's it-now I'm out again (innocent) )

EDIT:love that gif rofl

Nice of you to drop by Brad. It warms my heart to know hat there are people out there who care enough about my mental health to keep an eye on me and report it to you. But fear not! I have checked with my therapist and he assures me that as long as I stay on my meds I have a long way to go before I reach the "deep end."

And Micah, I meant no harm in what I said. I was just trying to give you some career advise.

This if for you too Micah. (Rim)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n564806[/ATTACH]

post-9156-141867792113_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Okay Chief, Jeremy, Grassi, Softy you out there? Hello...? You IT guys want to chime in here?

Rudy you seem to know a bit about what you are talking about. If IPB is the way to go. Then let's do it

The shared server is a problem too has always been a problem and is why the site goes down so much. There were no reasonable options when I was President that would not be cost prohibitive but it seems times have changed.

Any IT people want to chime in?

I've already contacted Jay on this. Waiting to hear back from two others one is softy. After what happened here with any of them we should be grateful if they comeback at all. I have no idea why it's taken two months to get this figured out but we will see. I will not go into the vp roll if given the chance unless there are admins that have some background other then Kevin are in place. There will likely be some demands from these admins that would come back as well as me stepping into the vp role and would hope that the bod will accept those demands. Once I get it all figured out I will post it in the members only area. I plan to be transparent with all information not just the basics that the board feels is the right thing to say. If the bod chooses not to put me in place that's fine too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk