Is there anything in the pipeline

reefnjunkie

Just curious if the present forum platform is what we will be keeping going forward. Just before Micah resigned he mentioned a new platform that was going to implemented since he no longer handles IT I was curious if the BOD has any plans for "change" on the radar

This is not a rant thread about how slow the present platform loads for me and if you are experiencing the same problems lets not turn this into a [language filter] fest

So please if you want to rant, grab your phone and call a 900 number, at least there someone might care about what you have to say.

Key word being "might" :)

Anyway I was just curious

IMO, the new software should be implemented in a separate new site parallel to this one, after the new one functional only then we can move to the new software.

Archiving old data should be implemented into the new site.

I think this is what Micah was talking about then. He said it is difficult to debugging ongoing site because too many uncontrolled variables.

We have plenty of IT people here, I hope many can voice your solution to this issue.

This way all criticism in the discussion will be built in the new site before this going into motion.

I'm excited to see what Kevin is working on. :)

That said, archiving old data is always supported... backing up those archives is a responsibility of the host or the administrators of the server. Right now, the server is being automatically backed up to a dropbox account owned by PNWMAS. So, there is plenty of fault tolerance built into the current site.

The current site sucks so much because vBulletin sold me a ferrari, but delivered a unimog with a half-blown engine and 6 flat tires and unfortunately, the server PNWMAS is paying for is a single car garage. I put a new paint job on the crippled unimog, but it doesn't make it any faster. When you add it all up, a hosted invision power migration is a clear choice. For the record, during my resignation process, I offered to stay around in an unofficial admin status. I have received no such interest. I have no problem with this.

I'm excited to see what Kevin is working on. :)

That said, archiving old data is always supported... backing up those archives is a responsibility of the host or the administrators of the server. Right now, the server is being automatically backed up to a dropbox account owned by PNWMAS. So, there is plenty of fault tolerance built into the current site.

The current site sucks so much because vBulletin sold me a ferrari, but delivered a unimog with a half-blown engine and 6 flat tires and unfortunately, the server PNWMAS is paying for is a single car garage. I put a new paint job on the crippled unimog, but it doesn't make it any faster. When you add it all up, a hosted invision power migration is a clear choice. For the record, during my resignation process, I offered to stay around in an unofficial admin status. I have received no such interest. I have no problem with this.

[language filter] the OP for saying this cant turn into a rant thread- I'll stay true to my request but seriously?????

For the sake of discussion, "I hope"

That's all I will type for now

Micah I wouldn't count yourself as off the hook yet if your offer is still good. I know you love my IT skillz!

My IT skillz (they require a z for proper description) are one of the many reasons I have been working out a plan that includes migration from a professional with experience migrating our software to what we intend to switch too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hmmm...should we address the current server capability first before deciding on new software.

That is one option. But it's a costly one. they're currently paying peanuts for our server.

New software require better server for it to function properly.

That is incorrect actually. New software under my original plan involved a hosted solution... server capabilities don't matter.. Only the SLA.

This current platform if moved to better server it will function much faster. Need ample room to play so do speak.

This is true, but server performance is only a drop in the bucket of improvements that have to happen. Push notifications on tapatalk, for instance, will still not work.

Micah, from my understanding new forum software comes with many optimization capabilities.

Utilizing / tweaking this optimization options will affect bandwidth, data space, memory, code execution time, etc

All these parameters are server capability dependent.

Is IP.Board still offering their own hosting in one package with the software.

Are current server up for the tweaking? Looking at what it has poorly done for the vbulletin when you tweaked it, I doubted the current server up to task.

Micah' date=' from my understanding new forum software comes with many optimization capabilities.[/quote']

Yes, the new software is quite great actually. Offers a lot of options that can greatly vary the amount of memory used... which they would care about if they were to use it on the existing server.

Utilizing / tweaking this optimization options will affect bandwidth, data space, memory, code execution time, etc

All these parameters are server capability dependent.

Yes, but those are pretty vague terms... and they apply to pretty much anything in computing. I could make vBulletin 5 scream on the right server, but that would cost money and this forum would still be lacking features we need.

Is IP.Board still offering their own hosting in one package with the software.

Are current server up for the tweaking? Looking at what it has poorly done for the vbulletin when you tweaked it, I doubted the current server up to task.

Yes. IP.Board offers their own hosted solution. You don't even buy a license for the software. You simply pay a monthly cost to host the forum, upload the data, import it/convert it, upload your theme (that you would have created in advance) and you're good to go.

Tuning the existing server is problematic. The existing server is a VPS - so memory and CPU aren't really guaranteed. The current server has 2GB of memory. 1GB of that is guaranteed. At rest, the server uses 1GB of memory. It peaks past 1GB often... almost constantly. If other servers on the same host are also doing this, the host server becomes overcommitted and hard memory locks occur - which is what is happening when you see a "500 internal server error". The current host DOES allow upgrading the VPS but it's about 20/mo more than we're currently paying and it would not resolve the missing/broken features problem. Moving to IP.Board solves all problems. It's possible it introduces some others, but all of those problems are usability issues that configuration changes or theming/plugins can resolve. If the server is slow, submit a ticket. They are on the hook to make it usable. Pretty sure they have an SLA. Our forum is dinky compared to some large forums in use on their hosts, so performance shouldn't be an issue. If our site crashes (highly unlikely in a largely virtualized world - where they manage HA/FT), they are managing backups and restores and are on the hook to do that as well.

The hosted solution also gives the forum to function without a sysadmin, but instead just a forum admin.

It was Micah's plan that got us here. Would you follow Custer in the second battle of the Little Big Horn?

I will back any good plan to move ahead and I personally 100% agree with this one. This isn't personal against anyone, just a good plan brought to the club to move forward with,

I would think following Custer into a second battle would be a pretty wise plan, He'd know what not to do :)

I'd feel more comfortable with Micah leading this battle than some "new gun for hire" Professionals are good at their profession and Micah knows his profession.

Kevin eluded to something "in the works" do any of the BODs reading this know of this plan. I'm sure you must so whats a timeline or whats the plan-No need to be keep it secret it would be nice to give some glimmer of hope that this wounded animal we call or platform will soon be put down

• Like 1

I would think following Custer into a second battle would be a pretty wise plan, He'd know what not to do :)

I'd feel more comfortable with Micah leading this battle than some "new gun for hire" Professionals are good at their profession and Micah knows his profession.

Kevin eluded to something "in the works" do any of the BODs reading this know of this plan. I'm sure you must so whats a timeline or whats the plan-No need to be keep it secret it would be nice to give some glimmer of hope that this wounded animal we call or platform will soon be put down

All of the BoD is up to date on the plan if they have logged in this week. There has been an ongoing discussion both on the forum and in Hangouts.

Not much response or input since were waiting on the company now, but MicAh helped us with the layout immensely before he stepped down.

The plan going forward is very very similar to what Micah has stated here. Only difference in what is being proposed is that IPB the company would migrate the site for us.

I agree with Brad about professionals being good at their job. Micah is a great Admin. Best of the best. IPB has professionals that do nothing but migrate our software to IPB. So we are essentially moving towards having a member of IPB do the migration for us, and then doing the minor adjustments from there.

I'm sure we'll be taking Micah up on his offer to help as long as it's on the table. I haven't known Micah that long, but I'd go with him "into battle" anywhere.

Micah's research into this plan is something that should be responded to with gratitude for his work IMO. When a volunteer does so much for a club the proper response is thank you.

Getting the forum up and running after the hack was a lot of work. Building a new site and implementing the protocols we have now was a ton of work. This next step will be a ton of work. We're not talking about a hundred hours here, we're talking about an emense amount of work that had taken place with only the best and purest of intentions.

It sucks the new software doesn't work, but it's no ones fault. If you want the work to be done to fix it, let's have some appreciation for all the people who have done and are doing the work now.

If someone has a better idea for software and hosting options that can do what IPB has offered to do for us I would welcome that input, but just tearing down a sound plan without offering any alternative is not helpful.

• Like 1

All of the BoD is up to date on the plan if they have logged in this week. There has been an ongoing discussion both on the forum and in Hangouts.

Not much response or input since were waiting on the company now, but MicAh helped us with the layout immensely before he stepped down.

The plan going forward is very very similar to what Micah has stated here. Only difference in what is being proposed is that IPB the company would migrate the site for us.

I agree with Brad about professionals being good at their job. Micah is a great Admin. Best of the best. IPB has professionals that do nothing but migrate our software to IPB. So we are essentially moving towards having a member of IPB do the migration for us, and then doing the minor adjustments from there.

I'm sure we'll be taking Micah up on his offer to help as long as it's on the table. I haven't known Micah that long, but I'd go with him "into battle" anywhere.

Micah's research into this plan is something that should be responded to with gratitude for his work IMO. When a volunteer does so much for a club the proper response is thank you.

Getting the forum up and running after the hack was a lot of work. Building a new site and implementing the protocols we have now was a ton of work. This next step will be a ton of work. We're not talking about a hundred hours here, we're talking about an emense amount of work that had taken place with only the best and purest of intentions.

It sucks the new software doesn't work, but it's no ones fault. If you want the work to be done to fix it, let's have some appreciation for all the people who have done and are doing the work now.

If someone has a better idea for software and hosting options that can do what IPB has offered to do for us I would welcome that input, but just tearing down a sound plan without offering any alternative is not helpful.

Aww, shucks man. Thanks.

I support the plan to have IP.Board do the migration. I would have had them do this to some extent. It's actually easier for IPB to support their SLA's if they have a known good import that THEY performed and it's easier for Pnwmas to hold them accountable.

I have no problem helping with this process either. Once the site is up on the new format/hosting, there will be little need for an admin to the extent that I was.

It was Micah's plan that got us here. Would you follow Custer in the second battle of the Little Big Horn?

This is awesome and funny!(laugh) Excellent point Pontus but my experience with the IT department from work is software is a temperamental thing. This upgrade had more bugs than a flea circus but I trust in what Jeremy and Chief have had to say. Micah also had some good points thought I admit I was lost in some of what Jeremy and Micah were saying.

Like I said before, the upgrade didn't work, there is a new plan there are others that support it. Let's try to get this place more user friendly again!(rock2)

Oh Brad you and the English language!(nono) So you are saying that Kevin is being evasive.

Here's an English lesson for ya buddy!(clap)(laugh)

http://www.gingersoftware.com/english-online/spelling-book/confusing-words/allude-elude

Thanks man, I needed a laugh. I nominate Pontus for president.

I second Pontus!(clap)

I also would like to propose that Jeremy be added to the admin team. He not only is this enduring beacon of positivity but also clearly knows a great deal about IT work!

I also would like to propose that Jeremy be added to the admin team. He not only is this enduring beacon of positivity but also clearly knows a great deal about IT work!

I completely agree - I already approached him actually as I needed a fellow admin. He respectfully declined. :) Perhaps he'd like to be head-honcho?