Thanksgiving Weekend Tank Build-a-thon

Bombertech

Alright, this is the first time since last year that I've had 4 days off in a row. I was going to bring another buckhorn on-line as I ran out of grow space but that can wait till Christmas break so, I thought it'd be fun to build a nano start to finish this weekend with my kids. So, here are the ground rules:

-Must use stuff in my inventory. That means tank, pumps, etc will be from spare stock. Lights will be built from scratch using components/diodes/resistors on hand. Should be interesting...

-Will be piped to main system.

Alright, to the garage to look through what I've got!

Okay, I have a standard 3g vase, a 2ft tall cylinder, and a 20 tall standard tank.

Will post progress shortly once I figure out which will work with what I have...

d5bac183c5a6cd0b5a5c6fd8fc01831b.jpg

fb959708ae15350f775d0ad0f439c967.jpg

Here's what I have... 20 tall is drilled already, taller vase has a flat bottom that could be drilled in the center (only problem with that is I'd have to put all rockwork around the drain pipe in center), standard vase would have to be drilled through the back. A challenge but not impossible...

Its about 12", glass is 3/8. I have a drilling guide I made a while back so fingers crossed. Just have to get past the Thanksgiving festivities to get back to it tonight.

Aquascaping is a good question... a rock skewer is a good idea. I'll have to see if I still have some nylon all thread.

Alright, drilling complete! So here's the plan:

Overflow on top bulkhead. Bottom bulkhead reduces to 1/2" which shoots down a pipe to force water at the bottom of the vase. Rockwork will be attached to the 90 fitting and downpipe so I can take it all out in one piece for easy frag maintenence, glueing, etc. I'm not going to glue the pipe so its easy to pull. Pressure will be minimal as it has an open shot out the 1/2 on the bottom. 1/8 hole for suction break on 90 as well for anti-siphon.

7333d160a3befe2f0d3a84a98cb39ab7.jpg

d04b56b7d1b6144a81e0313d86598ac9.jpg

81cd36a2b27d5f579620003d39e049c3.jpg

• Like 1

The update I posted on Saturday isn't there...

Anyway, I have just been waiting on silicone to cure. I fabbed up a light with 45 degree optics but wasn't happy with the spread so i have some 15's on their way. While in holding pattern I started work on setting up the big tank.

• Like 1