Equipment list

SCA 103 Skimmed

Off brand return pump

BRS carbon and gfo reactor

Tunze 3152 auto top off

Evergrow IT2040 led light

Jebao RW-8

Jebao WP-10

I've been on the forum since October 2013 and have met many great people, gotten many great deals and have learned a ton about keeping this beautiful piece of ocean in my home!

I started with a 20 gallon tall and had slowly gathered everything required to keep it as low maintenance as possible. The. In August of 2014 my dad was so gracious as to get me an SC Aquariums 50 gallon rimless cube stand sump return pump and skimmer.

After setting up the stand and doing a water test I finally put the tank in its final resting place where it has been since.

[ATTACH]13769[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13770[/ATTACH]

Got it filled and water tested everything's working good! Now to add some rocks and sand.

Oh yea I'm pulling everything from the 20 gallon to this new 50 gallon. According to SCAquariums this tanks total water capacity is roughly 63 gallons. With sump.

[ATTACH]13771[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13772[/ATTACH]

Finally added sand and rocks from 20 gallon as well as a couple large new pieces of rock.

post-9170-141867791582_thumb.jpg

post-9170-141867791583_thumb.jpg

post-9170-141867791591_thumb.jpg

post-9170-141867791592_thumb.jpg

Looking nice and clean! What is that acrylic box in the tank for?

It was holding an anemone and my clowns before I got these clownfish tried to force a hosting. Worked for a while then one fish jumped ship so I traded and got s new pair of clowns at least 1 hosts all the time

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Hey guys been a great while haven't been to involved in the tank. Been working a ton. If any of you know the place Cinetopia at Progress Ridge I bartend. You'll have to come say hi.

But updates, lost 2 of my anthias. No idea where they went. Also have had my Zoas growing like crazy going to do some fragging here soon looking to get some more anthias and possibly a butterfly fish. I have a heck of a aiptasia problem. Been going on for about 5 months untreated just getting tire of it. I tried peppermint shrimp but they all died off in a month or two. Expensive temporary fix so I thought a butterfly might be better any advice or cautions I've heard they munch on corals but unsure what corals they eat?

Also had a nem split this morning so I have an anemone I can sell its green under light but when it's out its kinda brown. Willing to trade ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

As I have suffered a couple of fish deaths and water Params being poor I've become diligent in getting my reef to look like a reef again. As of now I have a cyano outbreak and am doing my best to keep water Params up.

Lost a copper banded butterfly, a wrasse and a diamond yellow goby, I've also not seen any snails moving about but I dug them all up and they react to me getting close to them but they're "dorment"

Also will be building a new aquarium stand as I am too nervous to drill into my current stand but would love to clean up the wires and add possibly a dosing kit or a calcium reactor.

Made a pretty big leap and purchased an apex, got it finished installing today it works really well. It's the apex Jr but was easier to convince the wife that price tag over the 800 for the gold kit. So it's all a start.

I went to Jeff a couple weeks ago and had my water tested and my alk was really low. I slowly ha e brought it up but everything seems a little stunned, I've started a 5 gallon to 10 gallon WC every other day, until I see some results.

Also began dosing a bit of alk and calcium 2 part mix. Manually for now hopefully get a doser but needed to start getting the Params in check.

Any advice on helping my system?

Today starts the revival of Corey's 50 gallon cube reef.

I have a ton of Zoas and LPS and 3 big anemones a couple of small birds nest but the rest of my sps is gone.

Will post pictures of all tonight

Thanks for the updates. You will love the apex people get obsessed with those things around here. How's the butterfly working out for you? I have a BRS 2 part dosing pump that I got from Garrett. It is missing the mounting bracket but you can use velcro to attach it. . I am not going to use it right now as I decided not to do dosing.

I paid 30 dollars and would sell it for that if you are interested.

Are you doing a calcium reactor? And I'm so new to dosing I only know how to mix it and add it all at once. Any advice or links?

The butterfly sure cleared out all my aiptasia it was amazing! But he died as well. Poopy! But I'm restoring life to the tank! Soon I hope it starts to clear everything up!

Cal and Alk look fine but your Mag is low, I'd address that and it will help the others stabilize. 50 gal is pretty small, I'd say dosing is going to be more cost effective for you than a Ca reactor. Good luck, sucks when this happens but we all pull through! Sounds like you are staying on top of it with water changes though.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Alk today 10.5

Cal 430

Ph 7.9

I'd say everything is holding stable. The corals and nem are happy as can be my rocks are purpliing up quite a bit. It's becoming beautiful again! Although I have some black stuff on the sand not sure what it is. 69d232b1422a83b78643b388af21dc93.jpg796bbcbf533248388d838e1ae296d4e4.jpg19c3193e8d2a9e6d21ef5badef54843f.jpg

Also did a little reaquascape I like the nem to be a little captive.

Considering again getting a kessil. Maybe for my birthday ;)

I can relate to having to let a tank go neglected. Life can do that. Good to see things are on the mend. There is a possibility that the black on the sand is cyanobacteria. "Red slime" comes in many colors, and can appear in the cleanest of tanks!!

• 1 month later...

Been in process of slowly overhauling my system. Got quite a few new items

Reef octopus skimmer classic 110

Apex Jr, almost a elite now aside from the actual brain part

Par 38 bulb and light mount for my fuge so my light no longer rests on the sump aquarium

A white cabinet to house all of the electronics and my auto top off tank now 11gallons previously 5 gallons.

Haven't finished the wire clean up yet but going to organize all the wires as well.

Going to be getting a kessil a360we for my birthday next month so a new light.

Went to cuttlefish a couple weeks ago and got a very healthy nice Kole tang, also last week had my missing clown fish, got him replaced Jeff is a great guy to work with. Got some frags cut and setup to grow and trade some. Things are really stabilizing and it's looking amazing!