75g Shallow Cube Build

Dragon

I'd like to start this build thread by thanking Jeff at Cuttle Fish and Corals. He has helped me out on so many occasions and without him, I probably would have never gotten into the hobby. Very rarely do I come across a business that I truly support, but that's certainly one of them! Thanks Jeff!

I'd also like to thank JR (Gaidin) for his help and guidance with my build.

Ok, now on to the build. This is my first build thread, so please bear with me. This tank build is one of three tanks I'm currently setting up, so I've been very busy and haven't done the best job documenting. The planning and initial gathering of equipment began back in the spring and it's been a long and exhausting process, but I'm hoping all will be worth it in the end. Doing multiple tanks at once is not easy and I've had to take things slow to make sure they all come out well.

Tank details:

- Custom 36" x 36" x 14" rimless starphire glass cube with built in overflow from Oceans By Design

- 29 gal. acrylic sump

- Singe herbie drain with dual return lines

- 2 Arctic-T247 LED's

- Reef Keeper Lite

- 2 WP-25's (Have plans to upgrade to maxspect riptides when they're available)

- Reef Octopus skimmer

- Jebao DP-4 Dosing pump

- Hydor ATO

- Still figuring out what return pump to use

- Custom stand by Paul at Natural Wood Crafters

- 75 lbs. of Life Rock and Real Reef Rock tonga branch

- 100 lbs. of fiji pink live sand

I decided last winter I wanted to do a large FOWLR tank build. The only problem was that I couldn't part with my reef tank livestock, so I knew I needed to keep a reef tank as well. I've always been into cube tanks and particularly love shallow cubes. There's something about the proportions and the look-down element that I really like. I ended up deciding on these tank dimensions to increase tank footprint from my 90g, decrease size by 15g and be large enough to house most reef livestock, particularly my wrasses. I also plan to stock this tank with some clams that I can enjoy looking down onto.

On to the photos (sorry for the poor quality cell phone images mixed in)

The start of my aquascape. I used driveway marker rods and hydraulic cement.

image-19_zpse22c4492.jpeg

image-18_zps9bdc938e.jpeg

The custom stand from Natural Wood Crafters took quite some time, but was well worth the wait. This stand will match the stand of the big FOWLR tank in the adjacent room. Both stands have a side compartment that will house electrical and controllers.

image-20_zps12a24543.jpeg

Gaidin helped me out with my plumbing and did an awesome job. We talked it over a lot and came up with this clean setup.

image-21_zpsa1d241ac.jpeg

image-22_zpsde4bc17b.jpeg

I originally made custom aluminum light mounts, but they flexed more than I wanted them to with these lights, so I decided to make new mounts with 80/20 aluminum. I was able to repurpose the brackets I made from the previous mounts to attach the lights to the 80/20. I wanted to make the lights easy to detach and keep the fans free of any blockage. You'll also notice the 1" thick foam I used under the tank. I taped the two pieces together and sealed all the edges, for a clean look when you open the stand doors and see the front edge.

image-23_zpsa86c7ea2.jpeg

Rocks and sand in.

image-24_zpscfcabb03.jpeg

The aquascape was intended to be minimal and leave a lot of swimming room. It was designed around a central channel that curves through the middle of the tank and features arches, flat overhangs for coral placement and cantilevered branches. The are lots of little details in the aquascape, despite it looking very minimal from afar. I plan on using a bio-block filter in the sump to help account for the minimal aquascape.

image-25_zps699d3613.jpeg

And finally after months and months, I have water in the tank and have begun the cycling process. Upon filling it and running the return pump I realized the water level was too high. I am working on figuring out if a smaller return pump will fix that, or if I need to make some adjustments to the overflow box. I also have a screen top on in these photos that will help keep my wrasses from jumping out. I will be replacing the current clips with Innovative Marine clips soon. Also note that all electrical and cords have yet to be addressed.

IMG_5588_zpsf494eff0.jpg

IMG_5582_zps24933e95.jpg

The side of the tank seen from the kitchen.

IMG_5584_zpsf24758f6.jpg

IMG_5586_zpse8562c6e.jpg

This angle looks down the channel a little bit. The water is still a bit murky without much filtration, at the moment.

IMG_5587_zpsff3ee5ad.jpg

More to come as the build progresses.

• Like 1

Awesome rock work!! What brand of hydraulic cement did you use?

I used Quikrete Water Stop Hydraulic Cement, but I'm pretty sure any portland cement will be reef safe. I think it's best to do when first cycling a tank, as there is a little curing time where the ph is slightly elevated. It's a little messy, but worked well and allowed me to do things epoxy wouldn't have.... and cost a lot less.

Wow Dragon that is a beautiful set up. I can tell you have done your homework and really planned it out. Clean set ups like that don't just happen accidentally! I also love rimless shallow tanks. My frag tank was actually one of my favorite tanks. I can't wait to see how it looks when you get coral in there.

Jeff is a great guy to deal with very great about customer service and Gaidin did a good job helping you with the plumbing.

Glad to see water in it. Better get that sucker cycling fast. We need to move your livestock into it and then setup your 300 and your 240. Lots of work still to do. (laugh) Aquascape looks great. I love how can see it from other rooms its gonna be great.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Here are a couple of new additions to the tank:

Male Bluestar Leopard Wrasse

IMG_6093_zps5vuhgpto.jpg

I've been talking with Jeff for a while about getting this wrasse and now I finally have one, I mean two  :D!! Big thanks to Jeff at C&C!! Both are females and the smaller one is in an acclimation box with a Mauritius Jeweled Leopard Wrasse, as they are a bit smaller and need some time for the other fish to get used to them, so they don't get bullied. I'll try to get some photos of those guys soon.

Female Blue Striped Tamarin Wrasse

IMG_6139_zpsarwynig4.jpg

Very nice , those wrasses are killer, Jeff always has the goods. I see you have a taste for the zoanthids and palys, I gathered you really went for the Acroporas and some chalices. Maybe I can throw you some nice polyps next time we cross paths, was good meeting you at the Portland Aquarium.