BRS 2 part question

catfish2

I use brs 2 part and want to raise my alkalinity. When I use the brs calculator it says I need to add 4.6 grams, about 1 tsp, or 0.1 oz.

So on to my question. I assume when it says 0.1 oz it's talking about 0.1oz of the solution you mix up when you make a gallon of the solution. Am I right?

Yeah, so I calculated for the dry soda ash, which is what I have and it gives 0.1 oz as an option, which is why I'm a little confused. How do I dose 0.1 oz of the dry stuff? Obviously, I need to mix it in water, but I'm not sure what ratio of water to soda ash. I'm guessing it's in the same ratio as when you mix up a whole gallon of the stuff, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for the input!

You stated that you are using BRS 2-part. This tells me that you are using it in a solution. Redo your calculation using "2-Part Alkalinity (Soda Ash) Solution." It will give you how many ml you need to add.

Disclaimer: I am in no way responsible for the death of any livestock as a result of the above statement. Too many assumptions are being made on my part based on your statements.

^+1 on what Randy said above. Don't EVER add dry powder to your aquarium. 2-Part is supposed to be mixed into solution. Go by ml since that's likely the only method you've got for measuring anyway. If it were me, I'd simply make up a gallon and then follow the BRS calculator. Either keep the leftover in the closet (which I do since I have a calcium reactor) or keep it going in your 2 part dosing scheme.

Yeah' date=' so I calculated for the dry soda ash, which is what I have and it gives 0.1 oz as an option, which is why I'm a little confused. How do I dose 0.1 oz of the dry stuff? Obviously, I need to mix it in water, but I'm not sure what ratio of water to soda ash. I'm guessing it's in the same ratio as when you mix up a whole gallon of the stuff, but I just want to make sure. Thanks for the input![/quote']

Apart from the effects on salinity, I don't think it matters how diluted you make it. Just make sure it is totally dissolved and add to sump or high flow area.

Thanks for all the input. I'm on board now. It sounds like I should be selecting "2 part alkalinity (soda ash) SOLUTION" for my calculations since I'm making the dry stuff into a solution (according to their recommendation of 2 cups of soda ash per gallon of water) at home. Thanks again!