Titration test for KH

reefnjunkie

This was copied from a post Madmike put up......

The best alk testing is doing your own acid titration down to a ph of 4.2, super accurate and super cheap because you have to buy the acid by the gallon so you will have enough for years of use . Initial investment is a ph meter and the gallon of acid...good for years of testing!

here is a clip from rc chemistry guys

You can buy 0.1 N Sulfuric acid standard used as the titrant from:

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/4YNA6?cm_mmc=Google%20Base-_-Test%20Instruments-_-Laboratory%20Supplies-_-4YNA6[/url] also sells 0.1 N sulfuric acid standards.

It may be best to calibrate your pH meter using a 4 & 7 standard before you start the test.

Easy part; Testing

Now take a sample of your aquarium water, you can use any volume but I like to use 100ml because my pH meter sits nicely in the cup without me holding it at this level. Stick in your pH meter to your sample. You should get the same reading you do when you stick it directly in your tank. If not start over with a clean sample container. Now draw up some 0.1 N HCl solution in to your 5ml syringe. And start dropping into your sample 0.5 mls at a time and watch your pH meter. You are adding a strong acid so your pH should fall rapidly. Once your pH hits 5 start to slow down and add a drop at a time until your pH hits 4.2 . The reason we are shooting for 4.2 is because this is the point where all available carbonates have been converted to carbonic acid. You would think this would be pH 7 but it's not as carbonic acid is a weak acid and you have to really saturate it etc. Anyway, once you have reached pH 4.2 you are done and now can calculate your total alkalinity.

Alk mg of CaC03 /L = A x N x 50,000 / mL of sample

Where A = ml of acid added

N = normality of your HCL

So if you added 4ml of 0.1 HCL before you hit a pH of 4.2

4*0.1*50,000 / 100 = 200 ppm CaC03 equivalents or your total alkalinity is 4 meg/L (mg/L / 50 = meg/L).

The above information was taken and corrected from this thread:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...ion+alkalinity

Randy provides further details in this article:

What is Alkalinity

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2002/2/chemistry

Cliff Babcock

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I get about 1400 tests for 40.00 with no color guessing

basiclly you take 100mls of tank water, put the PH Probe in that water and add the acid until the PH gets to 4.2. You then multiply the mls used by 2.8 and thats your KH

I use 2.8mls of acid times 2.8 gives me a KH of 7.84

easy peezy

• 3 weeks later...

FWIW- I have the Red Sea Pro test kit (puke) for Mg, Ca and KH, I bought it to test water for a few tanks I take care of and its whats they use themselves. Well after cussing out that stupid KH test kit for the past 2 months I decide to bring a water sample home to test against the titration.

Titration test KH 8.24 maybe a little less

Red Sea HADNT EVEN BEGUN TO CHANGE COLOR UNTIL (sorry caps lock :() 9.4 and would have been what I called the correct color around 9.7ish

Go Red Sea (rock2) (in the trash that is) actually I'll just subtract 1.2 from each reading to know what the real level is

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

This technique is making the news over at R2R as Randy Holmes Farley did a writeup. Just think, we had it here first, thanks reefnjunkie!

My 0.1N acid came today. Like the kid in Christmas Story I rushed up to unwrap it and to the titration test.

7614f86a009fb170de887c187f9ce262.jpg

So I heard this rumor, a rumor that Hanna measures 18% low on alkalinity. So I have been subtracting 18% from it's ready to get to my target (7-8 dkh).

Results:

9.24 Hanna (with the 18% adjustment I was thinking, around 7.6, perfect!)

10.64 Titration

Uh oh.. Crud! Hanna is less than actual, not 18% more?? I have been higher than I thought the whole time?? Ugh.

Time to bust out the SF test and have yet a third number.

So 10.64, too high? Higher than I was shooting for...

Edited by theclark

I almost forgot one more thing

The reef to reef article says to stop adding acid at 4.5 instead of 4.2

I repeated the test and stopped at 4.5

It came out to 9.5, right inline with sf and hanna

I posted a question to Randy Holmes about using 4.2 and he said he almost mentioned using 4.2 vs 4.5 and that the difference between the two is nominal-either works-but you may have seen that Edited by reefnjunkie

Nice, thanks!  Love this hobby, so many aspects to it.  My probe was all over the place and very slow to respond so I will probably stick to the more run of the mill tests in the future that I can be successful at.  Completely enjoyed trying this out, good stuff!

Nice, thanks!  Love this hobby, so many aspects to it.  My probe was all over the place and very slow to respond so I will probably stick to the more run of the mill tests in the future that I can be successful at.  Completely enjoyed trying this out, good stuff!

The slow response of the probe may be a sign the probe needs to be replaced- a good test is seeing how long it takes to settle when you calibrate it.

I had the same results before replacing a year old probe- the new probe jumps from the tanks PH to the lower PH in about 10 seconds or less and doesn't bounce around. I'm sure you're mixing the water/solution well too-right LOL

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

I wonder if this is something that could be automated? If someone could help with the mechanical aspects, I would do the software...

I think it would be possible but you'd need 2 accurate dosing pumps and a controllable dump valve.

Pump one runs a set amount of time to fill container with tank water that has probe in it.

Pump two runs acid in intervals waiting for the probe to catch up. Once reaching set point, record number of intervals.

Run calculation

Display results

Dump container with valve into waste reservoir

Pump one turns on to submerge probe again. May need a rinse program.

The issue is going to be keeping everything calibrated properly for the acid dose.

...I'll keep waiting for the Mindstream to come out hehe ;)

I think it would be possible but you'd need 2 accurate dosing pumps and a controllable dump valve.

Pump one runs a set amount of time to fill container with tank water that has probe in it.

Pump two runs acid in intervals waiting for the probe to catch up. Once reaching set point, record number of intervals.

Run calculation

Display results

Dump container with valve into waste reservoir

Pump one turns on to submerge probe again. May need a rinse program.

The issue is going to be keeping everything calibrated properly for the acid dose.

...I'll keep waiting for the Mindstream to come out hehe ;)

Let's build it!

This guy is taking a different approach to the problem, but the titration test seems much easier.  He does address some of the items you bring up though Jeff in the thread.  It is an interesting read.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2508211&page=5

• 1 month later...