Any Harley riders? Or riders in general.

matt

I have been pondering getting a harley for a while. my neighbor took my wife for a ride on his on Saturday and now she wants one. I have ridden dirt bikes and one street bike (for about 15min). I don't know where to start on getting one. I have looked around on the net. I just need to go sit on one and look. But i know if I do I will winde up buying one. Lol does any one have any suggestions on were to start? I just think it's great that she wants me to get one.

Matt,

I ride a Honda VTX1300. Everywhere I go people think its a Harley because its a big cruiser. A place to start would be to take the Team Oregon Beginners riding class. They are offered at many of the community colleges. When you pass it also gives you a pass on taking the skills test at your local DMV. I would start with something of moderate size, say a 750 or so and a used one at that. That way, when you drop it in a parking lot, your driveway or God forbid on the street, you wont be dropping a 20K motorcycle. If you talk to anybody who has ridden for a while they will tell you that if you ride, and haven't gone down on your bike, its a matter of when not if. Not trying to scare any one off, just telling it like it is. Its better to get comfortable on a smaller, more maneuverable bike than a big heavy one. Riding on the street is a completely different world that dirt riding. I grew up on dirt bikes and never felt like everyone was trying to kill be till I rode on the street for a while.

Personally I love to ride. If its for you you will know it within the first few months, if not you will figure it out just as fast. Another reason to start with something less expensive than a Harley. On the other hand, like reefkeeping, people jumping into motorcycles and figuring out its just not for them is a great way for the rest of us to get some great deals on almost new bikes.

I ride motorcycle all year long and don't even drive a car anymore. No Harley, but I have a Ducati Monster and a Suzuki GSX-R750. If you aren't dead set on a Harley, look into sports bikes too.

Check out Team Oregon. They have classes that allow you to practice on their bikes, so you don't have to risk your own. It's also required by the state that you take the Basic Rider Training class from them before you can get your endorsement.

Feel free to ask questions. I'm sure we have a few Harley riders on here too.

Here are my bikes:

f55b8a0e045abba583c9f9e0d199d1d4.jpg

6beb7a460e9fc84fbff2db8ae69fffde.jpg

I plan on taking the class. I have only ridden a few dirt bikes and one street bike a 2001 triumph 600tt for about 20 min and Loved it. Don't get me wrong I love the ducati monster and would love to have one. I am looking for more of a cruiser, and man did my my neighbors 98ci with pipes feel and sound good while sitting on it in his driveway.

I plan on taking the class. I have only ridden a few dirt bikes and one street bike a 2001 triumph 600tt for about 20 min and Loved it. Don't get me wrong I love the ducati monster and would love to have one. I am looking for more of a cruiser' date=' and man did my my neighbors 98ci with pipes feel and sound good while sitting on it in his driveway.[/quote']

I'd highly recommend the class, really helps the new rider. Plus if you do ok, your endorsement is all taken care of. I miss my FZR600 but I sold it to buy my house lol, so slightly better long term investment. I keep telling my fiancé that as long as I have a fast car I can keep the bike itch at bay :D