Two leopard, will one become male?

rworegon

I add my second leopard wrasse too the reef yesterday afternoon. They swam together with no signs of aggression. The new one was a little late getting up this morning by they are now swimming together again. I'm hoping they will pair up with one changing to male.

The following is a Flickr link to the video.

https://flic.kr/p/prdDEB

I'm working on the same thing in my tank. I know the transition doesn't usually happen right away, but I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen in the first year. Sometimes I think it can take a bit longer. I've heard that adding multiple females can speed up the process, but I don't know if that's the case. I've also read that introducing a new male with a female can potentially cause aggression issues (unless if they're introduced together), so I think the way you're going about it is probably best.

Good luck and keep us updated on how it goes.

• 3 weeks later...

This experiment officially failed. They got along fine for the first two days, then the established leopard started chasing the newly introduced leopard. She hid for about a week and came out to get something to eat s couple of times. Two days ago I came home from work to find the new one nearly dead and the established one beating on it. I was able to fetch the injured fish and place it in the quarantine tank but it ess too late. She didn't make it through the night. I won't be doing that again. RIP little waste.