Lexinverts' Red Sea Max reef tanks

Lexinverts

Same here. I have never seen a goni produce sweeper tentacles. 

The tank is coming along. Maybe one of these days I'll have something to trade. :)

It's a ReefGen Goniopora stutchburyi. They are very pretty, but just as mean.

https://www.reefgen.us/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=120

Daniel Lu is going to try it out in his tank. He has a bit more real estate than me. :D

Someone here recently mentioned no ill effects from cutting sweepers short on aggressive corals. I forget who it was, but they got the idea after watching their clownfish mow them down. Might be useful, although I wonder how quickly they regenerate?

Interesting. Goniopora "sweeper tentacles" are just some of the normal polyps that stretch out for battle. As far as I can tell, any of the polyps can transform into a sweeper if the coral wants to be a jerk.

Cutting sweepers might be more likely to work on a chalice or a favia, where the sweepers are only part of the polyps.

• Like 1

Interesting. Goniopora "sweeper tentacles" are just some of the normal polyps that stretch out for battle. As far as I can tell, any of the polyps can transform into a sweeper if the coral wants to be a jerk.

Cutting sweepers might be more likely to work on a chalice or a favia, where the sweepers are only part of the polyps.

Funny timing, my goni did this yesterday. The sweepers were not more than 1/8" and seemed to be after nothing in particular, but I saw exactly what you mean about the difference between those and a favia sweeper. Definitely wouldn't cut the goni!

• Like 1

I just set up this chaeto reactor for my 40 breeder frag system. It cost me about $130 to put together.

It's an Aquamaxx XL fluidized media reactor and 2 cheap LED light strips. So far, it has been growing chaeto like crazy. I might need to dial it back a little bit before I strip too much out of the water.

IimW8vK.jpg

• Like 4

I just set up this chaeto reactor for my 40 breeder frag system. It cost me about $130 to put together.

It's an Aquamaxx XL fluidized media reactor and 2 cheap LED light strips. So far, it has been growing chaeto like crazy. I might need to dial it back a little bit before I strip too much out of the water.

IimW8vK.jpg

Nice so it's essentially an algae scrubber? I like it looks nice!

IimW8vK.jpg

I wonder how often the reactor walls need to be clean from algae buildup? Maybe you can install an auto cleaning rubber blade similar to auto skimmer cleaner.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

I wonder how often the reactor walls need to be clean from algae buildup? Maybe you can install an auto cleaning rubber blade similar to auto skimmer cleaner.

I'm not sure how that would work. Wouldn't the top have to be open for that? I think I'll have to take a cloth to the inside once a month or so to clean the acrylic.

In 5 days this thing has increased the volume of chaeto by 1/3. Looks I will be giving away lots of chaeto soon.

I didn't know you could install flux capacitors on an aquarium!  Are you planning on going back in time?   :laugh:  :applause:

Pretty awesome idea and execution.  Well done!

All I need is the DeLorean and I am all set.

Not my idea. Stylaster posted a similar apparatus on Facebook and I copied him. :D He probably copied MarineDepot, since they put out a how-to video here:

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_7239_zpsn9yghrry.jpg

I had to remove this extremely aggressive Goniopora that was putting out sweeper tentacles and stinging all of the neighboring corals. It was a real looker, so I put up with it until it recently killed my Jason Fox "burning banana" stylo. That was the last straw!

Wow this goni looks amazing under sunrise ramping mode (mostly royal blues).

92e233a924529ddeffe6377f7d2277be.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I had another batch of fry in the seahorse tank, and this time I was ready for them!

I set up a number of copepod cultures about a month ago, which are now teeming with nauplii.

First I added some phyto starter and Miracle Gro and then waited for an algae bloom. Once I had a bloom, I added some adult Tiger pods.

Once they were holding lots of nauplii, I put about 10 seahorse fry into each copepod culture. The little seahorses are cruising around and gobbling up copepods left and right. Colby thinks I can keep them going on copepods for about 2 weeks before I need to switch them to baby brine. We'll see if I can keep them alive!K7uZbqa.jpg

NzZ9Vyr.jpg

DTAqNrD.jpg

• Like 5