Lexinverts' Red Sea Max reef tanks

Lexinverts

Interesting. Thanks for the info and link.  Glad to hear that things have stabilized. I will have to keep the scrubber in mind as I get my tank up and running - that is a new development since I took the old one down - or at least I hand't been aware of them at that point. Also will check out the Triton dosing.

It's just the same concept as macro in a refugium, but hair algae has more surface area than macro so it works in one of these small scrubbers that fits in the back compartment of my All In One system.

Another *expensive* option that uses Chaeto rather than hair algae is available here:

http://uniquecorals.com/dry-goods/pax-bellum/pax-bellum-arid-n12-macroalgae-based-bio-absorption-filtration-system.html

If the cheaper type that I have didn't work so well, I might try something like that.

The cheapest solution is a refugium with chaeto and an inexpensive LED light, but I don't have a below tank sump in this system.

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 1

Indeed - it seems to have similar nutrient export capabilities as a refugium but in a nice compact package that would be great for the AIOs or other applications where a large sump isn't an option. I plan on a fairly good sized refugium as I should have the space and like having the extra bio capacity but this is a cool idea.  Glad to see it's working for you. Might also be a good way to add capacity easily in case of nutrient overloads.

• Like 1

oh I see it's the triton 4 part. I had mixed result although I was doing balanced but I got coral burn even with my alk at 8 :(

Thank you.

You'll get coral burn if your nutrients are low, even with your alkalinity at 8.0.

You need to have alkalinity closer to 7.3 if you are running low nutrients---I don't recommend it, since you will have less hassle with nutrients around .08 phosphate and 5-10 ppm nitrate.

Edited by Lexinverts

• 2 weeks later...

I actually have noticed the concept of algae scrubbers over the years when I just didn't worry about the hair algae in the overflow. I have a large amount of it in my Nuvo right now. I noticed that as it grew more back there I saw less in the tank and I figured it was because the massive algae in the overflow was sucking up the nutrients.  I have lots of hair algae going on in my new setup if anyone needs any "starter" algae. ;)

Love your tank Andy! Red Seas are awesome!

• Like 1

Here's my DIY scrubber. It's completely enclosed and sit on top of my sump.

81ddad9948e37f44a3ae50f38e45f5ed.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That's pretty cool, Daniel. What is the surface for the algae? Is that a screen of some kind? I see that Santa Monica 3-D prints screens for this kind of use.

http://www.santa-monica.cc/Green-Grabber-screen_p_82.html

Edited by Lexinverts

That's pretty cool, Daniel. What is the surface for the algae? Is that a screen of some kind? I see that Santa Monica 3-D prints screens for this kind of use.

http://www.santa-monica.cc/Green-Grabber-screen_p_82.html

I use a screen from Machel's art craft store. 3D screen seems interesting, I might have to try it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I try not to count the number, this helps me feel better about my MTS problems.

The tanks look great Andy, that green moon Favia in the center is awesome and the Acan field is most impressive as well. And I see why you traded out the torch, you will need the realestate once you start introducing things from the frag tank.

The algae scrubber you have is really doing what its suppose to do isn't it, very cool...Now I just need to make one.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

There are lots of new systems popping up in the forum these days! Here's my contribution. It's a Red Sea Max E-170, 43 gallon system that is going to house seahorses, zooanthids, and gorgonians. Thanks Jeff for ordering the tank for me! These are really smart looking tanks. I love the roomy cabinet and how the tanks can be modified to run a below-tank sump. I'm going to be running it at 74F to keep the seahorses happy, so I will be hiding a chiller in the stand. Stay tuned!

IMG_6272_zps6rgnxwij.jpg

• Like 2

I can't wait to see this one come together! I hope post tips on growing gorgonians. I've never had much success. What kind of seahorses are you getting?

Sent from my SM-G928P using Tapatalk

Thanks! I am going to start with two pairs of H. erectus and some Banded Pipefish. They've got some sweet ones at TPA right now.

I actually have not tried gorgs before, so I am excited for the challenge.

• Like 2