Lexinverts' Red Sea Max reef tanks

Lexinverts

Sad news, but excellent info shared and I am excited that someone on our board is trying out triton.  

If it works well, might be a good solution for my son's AIO 60 cube.  Very interested to see how it goes.  Once I have coral growing again to share, will set you up for the recovery!

• 2 months later...

It's been a while since I updated this thread. I just got back from a month in the midwest, so I am re-stocking and re-booting my tanks. I have Triton dosing dialed in, and it is working quite well for me so far.

Here's a picture of my recently re-stocked office tank. Thanks to CuttlefishandCorals, Cerk, and Badxgillen for the frags/colonies for the reboot!

IMG_0340_zpsvgkxbdel.jpg

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 6

• 5 months later...

It has been ages since I updated this thread. Ever since I switched to LEDs in my home RSM250 system, I haven't been able to get a halfway decent shot.

I finally got some of those amber filters from Barrierreef, and here are the results. It makes the tank look a little too yellow, so maybe I need to go with a lighter amber.

As you can see, I really like Gonioporas! Bring on the LPS growout!

As for the SPS, it has been a slow climb back up from my tank crash this summer. Finally, everything is thriving, from Zoas to SPS.

IMG_2219_zps9gkmom8m.jpg

IMG_2220_zpstnkam3mu.jpg

IMG_2221_zps0rgaillk.jpg

IMG_2225_zpstxerfc2d.jpg

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 5

• 1 month later...

Here's some shots of my home Red Sea Max 250. Pardon the reflection---we have sun outside at long last. I've finally gotten my Triton dosing dialed in, and my sps are starting to really take off.

IMG_2441_zpsjxohcqtg.jpg

IMG_2446_zpshnkrteau.jpg

IMG_2450_zps7ciylaoj.jpg

IMG_2456_zpsehiykmwx.jpg

Below is a shot of the Scoly I got from Holly. Thanks again, Holly!

IMG_2467_zpsml0a8hnk.jpg

Below you can see the LPS growout purple goni frag in the corner. Thanks, Robert!

IMG_2472_zpsyqmn56u2.jpg

Here's what the color looks like without the amber gel filter that I got from Barrier Reef Aquariums. I'm still trying to find the right shade of amber, since I think the one I currently have on the lens is taking out too much blue.

IMG_2479_zpsa0jlkkb0.jpg

Here's a shot with a slightly lighter shade of amber filter. I think that is a little better.

IMG_2506_zpsuwj2trab.jpg

Here's the link again to these filters:

http://www.barrierreefaquariums.com/productcart/pc/Cell-Phone-Gel-Filters-10-Pack-546p12111.htm

Edited by Lexinverts
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Nice!  Some of those have really taken off - how long have you been doing the dosing?

Thank you!

I started the dosing about a year ago, but things haven't taken off until recently. I had problems with dinos because of phosphate and nitrate leaching from my rock, and was using Red Sea NOPOX (evil stuff) which caused a system crash that derailed everything for about 3 months. I struggled with controlling nutrients without pulling too much out of the water. GFO, Phosguard, Vodka, etc... all lowered my nutrients too much. Finally, I settled on an algae scrubber from Santa Monica Filtration about three months ago:

http://www.santa-monica.cc/DROP14-drop-in-upflow-algae-scrubber-with-Green-Grabber-surfaces--14-cubes-feeding-per-day_p_71.html

Expensive, but effective at keeping my nutrients at phosphate .05-.08 ppm and nitrate around 4 ppm. Now that I finally have nutrients under control, the corals have been flourishing with the Triton dosing. So, it is actually a combination of the Triton dosing and the scrubber that has led to the excellent growth that I have had over the last two months.

Interesting. Thanks for the info and link.  Glad to hear that things have stabilized. I will have to keep the scrubber in mind as I get my tank up and running - that is a new development since I took the old one down - or at least I hand't been aware of them at that point. Also will check out the Triton dosing.