pics

reef165

maybe this is the place to ask.

I want to start a tank build thread but cant ever seem to add pics right. they come up way to small, you can hardly see them,

Ive herd photobucket, how do i get them to the thread? how do i put a pic on the thread im wrighting?

From photobucket you copy the picture. Then come back here and click on the 'yellow square that looks kinda like an envelope with a stamp and mountain on it', a line will pop-up[ on the top of the page and you add the picture to that line and hit enter.

It will show up on the type field as a bunch of letters and numbers surrounded by tags. When you submit the message it should show up as a picture.

HTH and makes sence.

I'm not trying to hijack this thread' date=' but I'm curious... Specifically, why do you recommend flikr and picasa over photobucket?[/quote']

I'm curious also. Most sites I have been to suggest photobucket.

Jay

well i used PM so as not to hijack the thread...makes sense...but now two inquiries. so...

Among other things, Flickr is a lightweight standards-based app with an API for integration with other apps like google maps. It is a web 2.0 application in every sense of the term.

In the photography and web developer/designer communities, Flickr is largely considered to be in a class above advertising bandwidth business models like photobucket and image shack. Pro shooters can still be found using pbase and other pro-suited archive apps though, in addition to Flickr. Other interesting options like Picasa's albums are surfacing only recently. I'm dying for a desktop picase client for OS X.

But I agree that:

"Flickr is a site for sharing _your_ photographs. Sites like ImageShack/photobucket are largely about having some other sucker host that cute image you found on some other forum, with a kitten aiming a sniper rifle. They're different markets: Flickr is a photo community. ImageShack is an adverts-for-bandwidth trade."

"Photobucket is set up to be a pageview generating factory. You get a pageview when you upload, another when you display your image another when you generate the HTML code to paste into MySpace and then their "recommended" code links you from a thumbnail back to their servers for another pageview every time someone request an image."

I develop the front ends of web applications and design user experiences and know image pros, so I tend to appreciate these apps on a different level than a casual user, and I tend to follow the lead of those whose work I admire and whose experience is greater than my own.

You could say it's also a personal matter of taste. I view photobucket as the proverbial 'myspace' of photo sharing apps. In fact myspace is buying photobucket.

good comparison here though i think. Author's conclusion:

"There’s a reason why Photobucket has been a bigger but less talked about site than Flickr; it’s much more useful for simple, quiet image hosting, while Flickr has the Web 2.0 flare, but you can’t just upload a bunch of images on it and hotlink them on your web site to save on bandwidth costs. This difference will still make the decision for many users, but when you compare these two sites head to head, Flickr currently offers more, especially when it comes to sharing and social networking. "

In short, I think from an average 'reefkeeping forum user' perspective, flickr can be thought of as an image sharing community, and photobucket/imageshack are remote image hosting solutions. apples and oranges really, despite the similar things that an be done with both apps.

actually, now that I think of it frags.org has a reefkeeping-specific image hosting solution now. Anyone tried it?

Thanks Piero for your perspective. I've often wondered the merits of other image sharing sites.

I use photobucket for its simplicity in posting images in this forum; upload, click on the tag, and paste. I don't look to use it as a community. I've had a bad experience with Yahoo and so Flickr's login process scared me away. I should get over it and see what it has to offer. On a side note: I absolutely hate Ringo and the advertisments they bombard you with (unfortunately, that is the photo community my niece uses).

can't knock photobucket for simplicity, that makes sense.

I didn't realize that you can also host video...again a hosting solution, whereas youtube like flickr seems to be a hosting option with heavy emphasis on community building. Definitely more of a 'different tool for different needs' situation than I originally thought.

• 3 weeks later...

I see a great FTS (is this the one with the nudi problem?), and a really nice waterfall. I should probably be able to identify it, but I have not been in the gorge for two years. :( Now I know where I am going to go for my next roadtrip (besides a fish store)

I see a great FTS (is this the one with the nudi problem?)' date=' and a really nice waterfall. I should probably be able to identify it, but I have not been in the gorge for two years. :( Now I know where I am going to go for my next roadtrip (besides a fish store)[/quote']

Yeah- that's the nudi tank. It hitting the puple plate (above the brain) the hardest.

The waterfall is Elowah Falls. It's a nice family hike.