Cal and Mg very high on new tank

Jnesbitt

My 80 gallon has been set up and cycling for the last month. I have been watching pH, Ammonia, and Nitrates and it seems to be on the end of the cycle now. I did a 20% water change, and I tested for the first time yesterday Alkalinity, Calcium, and Magnesium and things seem off. The calcium and magnesium are very high. All other test came out ok. All test kits are new Salifert brand test kits.

Salinity=1.24

pH= 8.2

Temp= 80

Nitrate= 15 ppm (pre water change)

Ammonia= 0 ppm

Alkalinity= 8 dKH

Calcium=490 ppm

Magnesium=1300 ppm

I was wondering if this something I should be concerned about or if it is just because there is not much in the tank using the calcium and magnesium right now. Currently there is only a small mushroom rock, 3 small colt corals, and some green star polyps (have not opened) in the tank. They were all added Friday. All advice greatly appreciated.

Depending on the salt you use those numbers will vary. Try and stick with one brand of salt (not implying you wouldn't, just saying one is best)

I know for instance the Kent salt I use mixes up with a KH @ 8 and the Ca is 550 when I target SG of 1.025. I may be off a little on those numbers since its memory (which I lack) but my tank is consistent at;

KH- 8.25

Ca- 550

Mg- 1400

SG- 1.025

as mentioned those numbers are pretty good, low in Mg if you like SPS (whistle) IMO

• 5 months later...