Returning, not new.

JManrow

Hey everyone. I'm getting my tanks up and running again after finding it necessary to put the hobby on the back burner for awhile. Some of you know me from previous years. My name is John Manrow. I have kept marine and freshwater tanks most of my life, and reef tanks since 1986 or so. My wife, Constance, had been becoming increasingly disabled, and passed away in May 2013. I'm ready to move on with my life, and happy to be back among friends and making new ones! It's good to see the club is doing well! Hey, when's the next meeting?

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It's good to be back! I'm getting started by replacing my T5 tubes and doing a system overhaul on my 46G Bow-front reef. I've got all the supplies I need, I just need to get busy! There are still a few corals that will be happy about it! What has really thrived on neglect is my little cube tank of Hawaiian red Opae ula shrimp (Halocaridina rubra)! They have continued to be a happy breeding population with getting fed whenever I remember to and water added when the tank water level drops close to 50%.... no aeration need with these guys. It's the perfect slacker setup!

Thanks everyone for the welcome. It's good to be back! I'm getting started by replacing my T5 tubes and doing a system overhaul on my 46G Bow-front reef. I've got all the supplies I need' date=' I just need to get busy! There are still a few corals that will be happy about it! What has really thrived on neglect is my little cube tank of Hawaiian red Opae ula shrimp (Halocaridina rubra)! They have continued to be a happy breeding population with getting fed whenever I remember to and water added when the tank water level drops close to 50%.... no aeration need with these guys. It's the perfect slacker setup![/quote']

Welcome back John! Please show use your shrimp setup. It sounds very interesting.

• 2 months later...
We're all dying with anticipation John.

(worthless)

Seriously though so members are talking about doing a shrimp setup so pics of yours would be helpful to them.

Here is my setup for keeping Hawaiian Red Opae ula Shrimp (Halocaridina rubra). It is currently in a 1.5 gallon Topfin cube. They were originally in a 1 gallon cube and did great! it's just a better looking display with the LED lighting. SG has been between 1.005 and 1.020. I started with 9 shrimp about 4 years ago, and the tank population is now over 30 shrimp. There is no aeration or filtration. You may want to add an air stone or small sponge filter. They are fed only a small amount of dry food occasionally. No substrate, only a couple pounds of coral rubble. I have kept the tank near a window in the kitchen to encourage algae growth on the rocks.The temperature has been between 65 and 80F (room temperature). When I originally set it up, I kept the SG low, as recommended... about 25% seawater, but they really did not begin to reproduce until some of the water had evaporated! I have added only top off R.O. water for evaporation and do rarely add some pH buffer. These shrimp come from anchialine pools and tolerate a wide range of salinity and are known to live 20 years. http://www.petshrimp.com/hawaiianredshrimp.php