Deep sand bed?

Jeramy

I have a Nuvo 38 that I am still in the planning stages of setting up. One of the things I was planning to do is a 4-6 inch sand bed. The first 3 inches would be sugar fine sand cover with some egg crate and screen material to keep it undisturbed. Then adding an additional 1-3 inches of the figi pink sand that is already live and cycled from my existing tank. I plan to have very minimal live rock and want to keep this system contained as an all in one no sumps or hang on the back E.Q. still debating if I want to use the skimmer I have for this or just keep it all natural for filtration (with the exception of some carbon to keep the water clear) This will not be a SPS tank and I tend to keep my bio load very light Lots of softies and lps.

1) What are your thoughts of a deep sand bed in a nano?

2) Has any one here had experience with DSB in a Nano?

That's old school man! Just get a bigger skimmer. :)

Honestly though, I tend to have more problems with DSB's than not. Unless you have the space for a gigantic undisturbed DSB, I say ditch it and save yourself the complexity. A skimmer will give you more benefits in a smaller space, IMO.

IMO it's not enough room for a sandbed to be worth it. Shimek used to recommend 8" on 4'x2' as the minimum. There is some pretty good filter media options out there if you wanna look that way, and/or just stock it lightly.

What your describing with the screen layer sounds more like a Plenum. I just threw away Goemans books on Plenum. I looked into them as well (why I bought the book) but following up with other reefers, none of them kept it for long.

JME

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk