Mandinga's SPS tank

Mandinga

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago I was able to catch the anemones in my tank. They had been slowly wreaking havok on my sticks. The aquascaping structure proved a success, the reef was easily dismantled, and I only ended up with a couple frags. I did have to reaquascape slightly, but wow it was so much easier. I was also able to turn the rocks to different angles, maximizing my coral space...cuz things were getting semi tight.

I then dumbly fashioned something ridiculously unstable to hold the anemones...and yeah...a night ago the anemone escaped ...directly into a powerhead.

I can actually still hear the sound in my head of blended anemone. Vwooooo veiiiii vwooooooo

The rw20 surprisingly only chopped half the anemone:-/

Tank was completely cloudy for a couple hours...changed carbon and filter socks...and two hours later the water is clear.

Funny thing is that I had added a big maxima clam(Tahitian?) a couple weeks ago and it really never looked supremely happy.

2 hours after the anemone had been blended, the maxima looked amazing, better than it ever had. A little ammonia maybe? Ammonia tested at 0, but I suspect there was some present.

A week ago I was able to catch the anemones in my tank. They had been slowly wreaking havok on my sticks. The aquascaping structure proved a success, the reef was easily dismantled, and I only ended up with a couple frags. I did have to reaquascape slightly, but wow it was so much easier. I was also able to turn the rocks to different angles, maximizing my coral space...cuz things were getting semi tight.

I then dumbly fashioned something ridiculously unstable to hold the anemones...and yeah...a night ago the anemone escaped ...directly into a powerhead.

I can actually still hear the sound in my head of blended anemone. Vwooooo veiiiii vwooooooo

The rw20 surprisingly only chopped half the anemone:-/

Tank was completely cloudy for a couple hours...changed carbon and filter socks...and two hours later the water is clear.

Funny thing is that I had added a big maxima clam(Tahitian?) a couple weeks ago and it really never looked supremely happy.

2 hours after the anemone had been blended, the maxima looked amazing, better than it ever had. A little ammonia maybe? Ammonia tested at 0, but I suspect there was some present.

huh Ya he probably got some nutrients out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That Forest Fire is amazing!! 

Thanks Chris. It took about 3-4 months to settle in...almost lost it about 6 times, but it finally figured things out.

Just what i was thinking Chris!

The whole thread is awesome, tons of pics and info.  A great sharing of information.  

Thanks Clark!

huh Ya he probably got some nutrients out of it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm pretty sure the clam slurped up most of the anemone juice. I never ended up doing a water change.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Figure it's about time for some more halfway decent photos.

984ec2d5e2061b1f0179a1c2f77a96ab.jpg

0902d1f1b7fdb188dd066fd256b2e2c0.jpg

67e237251f7c90d0f375343a5a755c3e.jpg

f4f04265ddb80eb9965019cd95b49518.jpg

073890901eeefb6ed75f4d80c104a322.jpg

I sing to this clam every morning. That's the secret

50fc626dec9c5f7d212f59d4b4cc4f78.jpg

Red dragon.

51530a42c48b3a80eeef9d36c522678f.jpg

2e039304720beb8c8bd5f34f59767523.jpg

85f2ed8141ae99749802fde765643e8b.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/06/9d443990cba499ef1400a33d1b6efdae.jpg

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/05/06/a2123f82da8a3e6369efcdf0d4c8c7d7.jpg

Edited by Mandinga

Last night...like most nights, I was up searching for something to do on my reef. Then it hits me! Convert your refugium into another frag rack. Currently the display has...well...an embarrasing amount of frag racks...so I thought why not add one more, I need a place for zoos! But if it actually works out, I'll have a 24 hour reef because I run the fuge lights all through the night...that means geek out sessions never need to end! bwaht! sold!

So I did it. pics to come.

The first thought I had was that the plugs would be hard to keep free from macro...but, then I thought back to the last few months where I tried to get macro to grow onto plugs(ornamental macros), and for whatever reason I never got one macro to grab hold of a plug.

So here is the frag rack in the fuge. Basically I cut four 7" long 1.5" schedule 80 pieces and drilled hundreds of holes for circulation in the legs, and then zip tied a 14" x 12" egg crate frag rack. Hopefully the 7" of elevation will still allow the macros to grow underneath.

It's not the prettiest setup, but should

Allow for enough light for some of the more delicate macros.

Side view

6913ea445ed0e3f4116ff89e080a7c17.jpg

Top down - I should be able to fit 40-60 frags down here...super low flow, so I'm thinking Zoas, rics, etc.

d5e4ed88738c9d0db3915b82c8598680.jpg

Edited by Mandinga

Thanks !! It's my MattV forest fire. started as a 1"er

If you look close in the FTS, the forest fire is the very top left coral...highest coral in the tank. Funny how little justice a bad picture can do for a coral!

#justsayNOtoiPhonecameras

• 3 weeks later...

Noticed the color in some SPS started to fade a little...and then had a couple SPS(aussie delicates) start to go base up RTN.

Wow, it happens so fast...Gives me a reason to stare at my tank for a minimum of 20 minutes a day. geeeeeek out.

I checked all my params and the calcium had dropped very low...like 330. Alk remained at 10, so that's good. Over two days I brought the calcium back up, and wow...immediate difference.

Im still trying to figure out why Ca dropped so low. I did switch to Leslie's pool calcium about 2 months ago, so I need to re-figure my dosing schedule...if I get the Ca right, the corals are very happy, so Im not concerned about the supplement....just the amount dosed! It would make sense that my needs are increasing...I have colonies now that started as frags:)