Mandinga's SPS tank

Mandinga

150ish gallon. 48" X 24" X 24", 40 Gallon Sump.

*Disclaimer, no I do not do water changes.

Lighting

Tank Lit by ATI T5 8 bulb Powermodule. ATI bulbs -

bulbs: 6 blue plus and one daylight and one purple

Fuge: Marineland LED

Apex Controller- mostly for timers, temp, pH.

Heat/Cool/Temp

2-Ebo Jaeger heaters

Extra fans controlled by Apex.

Water

JBJ ATO

RODI Spectrapure Maxcap 90gpd

I add 2 gallons freshwater per day.

I also take probably 15-25 gallons per year of tankwater out annually and replace with just freshwater to account for the rise in salinity due to dosing.

Water Changes: 0

Salt: Kent

Flow

Return Flow: Jebao DC12 return - 1st setting, 3-4x/hr tank turn.

Inner flow: RW-20, RW-8

Dose/feed

Hand Dose: Baked Baking soda, Leslie's Pool Supply Calcium Carbonate, Magnesium,  brightwell trace elements.

Feed: Fish once daily(mix of flake, frozen and nori)

Coral: very sparsely direct feed  reef chili, oyster feast, phytoplankton, frozen rotifers

Nitrate/Waste Control

Skimmer SRO 2000 with Bubble Blaster

20 gallon fuge with Chaeto, hair algae, culerpa, and other macros, lit by Marineland LED(Thanks PNWMAS Xmas raffle)

Carbon occasionally passive

Rowaphos GFO: As needed

Fish: Oscellaris Pair, Yellow Tang, Purple Tang, Tomini Tang, Hippo Tang, Yellow Coris Wrasse, red dragonette, Swallowtail Angel, Blue Jaw Trigger(male)

SPS: Acropora, Montipora, Pocilipora, cyphastrea, Porites, Turbinaria, Porites, Pocillipora

LPS: Chalice, Elegance, torch, Acan, Wellsophyllia, favia, frogspawn, bleeding apple scolymia.

Clams: Tahitian Maxima RIP, Tiger Stripe derasa

LPS: Acan's, and anything else I can find that my fish wont eat!

Palys:lots

Zoas:lots

Clean up crew:

Shrimp: 2-cleaners and one blood, and one beast of a harlequin(adopted out), small pack of peppermint shrimp..

Crabs: Blue and red hermits

Snails,Lots of snails. Turbos, Astrea, nerites, cerith, and the burrowing snails which escape my name memory at the moment.

Starfish: seastar starfish, 3 large black brittle stars, and thousands of tiny white brittles. 2-3 chocolate chip in the sump(organ donors)

Cucumber: Hawaiian black cuc

Water Tests:

Alk: Hanna and Salifert

Ca: Califert

Nitrate: API

Phosphate: Hanna/API

Target numbers:

Alk 8.5-9.5 dKh

pH 8.2ish

Temp 77.7

Salinity 1.024

Maintenance:

Daily: food, look for coral problems, or moved corals

Weekly:Look at everything possible, test Alk and Ca at least once a week, top off water in ATO bucket, clean acrylic,

Monthly: Clean pumps with vinegar bath,

Quarterly: fuge sludge suck. vacuum all known detritus.

Yearly: Bulbs, check hoses, barbs, seals, etc.

Current FTS 7-28-2015

H5sWvGRWWlbxgxWbFtFLUxw_6GtLnt2b-hxQetzN

February Start image%2B%2833%29.jpegimage%2B%2832%29.jpegDSC01461.JPGDSC01503.JPGDSC01528.JPGDSC01546.JPGDSC01539.JPGimage%281%29.jpeg

post-6050-141867791156_thumb.jpeg

Edited by Mandinga
  • Like 1

As you may or may not have noticed, roughly 1/3 of the tank is bare bottom. After adding the RW20 pump my sand slowly built up and up and up in the middle. I really like the wave action because the flow is incredibly high and random on the right side of the tank, and then low to mid flow on the left side of the tank. At first I was fighting the sand and then the 1/3 bare bottom look started to grow on me. I consider my tank now a hybrid barebottom/DSB, showing benefits of both setups:)

The right two rock pilings are reserved for high flow acropora and other SPS species, while the left side is all montipora and lower flow corals.

• 2 weeks later...

Mandinga's SPS tank

Have been wanting for quite a while to upgrade my skimmer. I started off with a euroreef skimmer, which IMO is one of the best skimmers of its time...but unfortunately the sicce pump is noisier than anything in my system. So I switched to a cheap bubble king skimmer 4 months ago... The skim mate it pulled was thick dark and nasty...but it took almost two weeks to fill a cup(I have a medium bio load).

Last week r3 hooked me up with a SRO XP2000 int. equipped with the bubble blaster pump. For years I've wanted one of these pumps, and now the time has come. I'm impressed with the bubble production so far.

I had to build a little stand to boost the skimmer up 2 1/2", my sump was a little deep. Grabbed some scrap acrylic and started chopping away...my work is not clean, I have mad crazy respect for people who work with acrylic...I just don't have the right tools, but I do have just enough to get the job done.

[ATTACH]13633[/ATTACH]

post-6050-141867764172_thumb.jpg

post-6050-141867764175_thumb.jpg

Mandinga's SPS tank

The only thing I need to address is the micro bubbles...I'm kind of a nut job when it comes to micro bubbles. My last skimmer I just routed the skimmer water from te output back to chamber no1 in my sump. Micro bubbles were nearly eliminated. I suppose I could so something similar with the sro

Mandinga's SPS tank

[ATTACH]13649[/ATTACH]

A couple of the dozen or so aggregating coldwater nems that were removed from my pico 3 gallon coldwater setup...all in the sump. In the 6 months they have Ben in te tank, none have died, but they have definitely all lost zooxanthellae...and become much lighter shades of green.

post-6050-1418677642_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...

Made this mounting board, coated it and painted it to match stand. Going to mount external against a side wall. It's amazing the amount of timers I just got rid of.

After a few days of reading and troubleshooting the apex was online, wirelessly connected to my network.

Still have to work in advanced networking to get the accessibility by through an iphone/tablet.

Fusion is pretty slick.

https://vimeo.com/113221415

Thanks Kim for fixing that. I think?

Yeah I see how it could be pretty addictive...Ill try to keep it as simple as possible:)

The natural evolution of a reefer: direct plug to wall---- power strip----gfci----controller----super deluxe controller.

Edit-I can not see over half if the images people now post. I get a little green GIF instead if image:) lovely tapatalk:)

Thanks Kim for fixing that. I think?

Yeah I see how it could be pretty addictive...Ill try to keep it as simple as possible:)

The natural evolution of a reefer: direct plug to wall---- power strip----gfci----controller----super deluxe controller.

I'm serious, we would be out to dinner and she would be all looking at her Apex. I was starting to feel like a third wheel!(laugh) I think the next evolution will be to cut all the technology and go back to water changes and hand dosing and hand topping off!:p

I was having a problem with temp swings. Had an undersized heater on purpose, but with cold nights the tank was dropping down to 76 and then during the day was nearing 80.5.

Solution: added a second undersized heater, and added a small fan. Of course the key to keeping these three working together and not against each other was adding the apex.

Now the Reno variance is very minor, less than 1 degree all day. Yay.

It was very frustrating for me to see these reno swings, because I know how crucial stable temps are to coral growth...

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

post-13656-142129197263_thumb.jpg

On the display things are growing pretty well. My calcium intake seems to constantly getting larger:)

In the refugium, the chaeto is not growing...well barely growing. Other algae a seem to be doing ok...mostly red and blue algae.

Edited by Mandinga