Islandoftiki's Hawaiian Adventure!

Islandoftiki

Ladies and Germs,

As I'm making plans to transfer my last remaining tank (the Nuvo 30 gallon peacock mantis tank) to it's new owner this weekend, I thought it was time to start a new thread to stay connected to all of my PNWMAS friends as Pamela and I embark upon the next chapter in our lives. The big island of Hawaii!

Our house is currently pending sale and we have our plane tickets in hand. My last day in Oregon will be November 6th. After that, we'll be calling the Kailua-Kona area our home for the foreseeable future.

We're getting rid of all of our furniture except for the sentimental stuff in hopes of cramming everything into a 20 foot container.

I'm bringing with me my 2 gallon pest tank, my 10 gallon Micro-Reefs tank, my 25 gallon Micro-Reefs tank and a brand new Nuvo Fusion 30L that I hope will house a O. brevirostris mantis shrimp if I can find one. Initially we'll be renting until we can find a place to buy, so the first tank to get set up will likely be the 2 gallon pico tank with some unusual and interesting endemic tidepool creatures and Hawaiian zoas.

I'll keep everybody posted on our progress on this thread and start new tank threads as they come online when we get settled in Hawaii.

Wish us luck and stay tuned...

In the meantime, here's a picture of one of the local beaches from our last trip:

Hawaii1_zps77cdf456.jpg

• Like 1

One of the exciting things is being able to collect your own livestock for free. How many different varieties of zoas and palys will I be able to find?

Do I hear a challenge? All these Hawaiian people eater morphs look amazing. I just found out that the Big Island of Hawaii has the highest percentage of live coral of the main Hawaiian islands.

You need to pump straight from the ocean and let your overflow dump right back into the ocean. Eliminate the need for all the other equipment.

Wouldn't that be amazing. No water changes, no temperature or other parameter swings. Sadly, we're not getting enough from the sale of our house to buy oceanfront. Not sure I would want to be either after the last tsunami. We're just aiming for an ocean view. :)

No need' date=' just dig some hose under ground through everyone's property. When they complain explain the importance of your mantis research[/quote']

Oh, that would be interesting to try to dig out. LOL. Especially considering municipal water pipes are above ground in many places because it's too difficult to bury them in solid lava rock.

One of the exciting things is being able to collect your own livestock for free. How many different varieties of zoas and palys will I be able to find?

Last I heard collecting any corals in the islands (stony and soft) was a huge no-no that comes with jail time if you're caught. I'm also pretty sure importing (from the mainland) is very regulated and may even be prohibited under the invasive species act.

Fish however are another story. You can collect and keep any fish that you can catch with a standard fishing license

Last I heard collecting any corals in the islands (stony and soft) was a huge no-no that comes with jail time if you're caught. I'm also pretty sure importing (from the mainland) is very regulated and may even be prohibited under the invasive species act.

Fish however are another story. You can collect and keep any fish that you can catch with a standard fishing license

Importing any non-endemic species of coral, fish or invert is pretty much a no-go. All stony corals are off limits, but apparently soft corals are fine as long as it's not in a protected wildlife area. They have all of the regulations online. Everything I've read is that they don't have fishing licenses and/or none is needed for collection of livestock for a personal aquarium. It's when you start selling stuff that you need special permits and licenses. I'll be confirming everything with the local authorities first, but from my discussion with the one fish store in Kona, most people collect their own soft corals, fish and inverts for aquarium use.

Last night, our beautiful and enchanting mantis shrimp, Betty, went to her new home. She waited patiently in her bucket of water while we emptied the tank to movie it. She sat is Pamela's hand for a very long time while we were loading all of the gear into the cars. It was a very sweet and touching goodbye. The tank move went well and we had Betty and Barney set back up in their tank by the end of the evening. We're going to miss her very much.

20140914_164048_zps12314534.jpg

20140914_164056_zps727ebfdf.jpg

So freaking lucky!! I'm trying desperately to get the wife to want to move over to big island!!! Isn't going that well, we went in June and she loved it, and gave me 2 years there, but need to convenience her kids and well if that takes to long I may just need to make the trip alone.

So, we've signed the final paperwork for the house sale and scheduled the movers and the shipping container drop-off. It's all going to plan so far!

I've given notice at work and October 13th will be my last day! I will be unemployed for the first time since I was 17! (I'm 43 now).

I keep thinking I want to put a personalized vanity plate on my car in Hawaii, but haven't been able to figure out what to go with. Today it dawned on me. The Hawaiian word for mantis shrimp is 'alo'alo, and that's what it's going to be. How cool is that? I dunno, I think it's cool.

Anyhow, many many things to do in the next 30 days, so I'm going to be a busy guy!

Here are a couple pictures of Pamela interacting with Betty the day before we moved the tank to it's new home...

85A735C4-orig_zpse73aa388.jpg

5DC313A3-orig_zpsf6d235a2.jpg