My Single Rant - Moving Forward

TheClark

My single complaint is that there was no current site backup located offsite. No matter what the reason.

There are so many great and cheap options today for this, allot of people lost allot of time and effort and information when all this was lost. Besides the lost data, it rattles people's confidence in the site.

There is no way for me to sugar coat that statement, it's a fact.

That said, I am moving forward once there is some convincing that the backup strategy is sound, perhaps it is posted already.

Data was lost, the good people of PNWMAS are still around.

Given a good IT foundation I think the community can rebuild.

After all, this is supposed to be about the reef tanks, not so much IT stuff.

And whatever feelings were hurt, just move past it. Life is too short. Seriously

How about them backups right?

Offsite backups are already in place. Was the first order of business after getting the site back up.

Tests were also done to restore from that back up, because what is the use of a back up if you can't restore from it.

Can't fix the past, but that will not happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Offsite backups are already in place. Was the first order of business after getting the site back up.

Tests were also done to restore from that back up, because what is the use of a back up if you can't restore from it.

Can't fix the past, but that will not happen again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think we all needed to hear that.(clap)

I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the lost threads? This is a forum, just start new topics and get back to where you left off. No data was lost just a bunch of threads which were already talked about and moved on. We didn't loose any valuable information. Not a while lot has changed since 2012 but the equipment we use. Who care what your post count was, that's not what this is about. Let's just puck up and go.

One of the first things I implemented was remote daily automated backups. Currently, they are being pushed to two other geographically separated VPS accounts I manage as well as my home server. 2 Daily, 2 Weekly and 1 montly copy are stored at the moment, but I hope to increase those numbers slightly. I would also like some incremental backups done every 6 hours - but I'm having to weigh the performance degradation during backups and bandwidth costs against our need to have a current backup. But, I think we're relatively well set for now.

I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the lost threads? This is a forum' date=' just start new topics and get back to where you left off. No data was lost just a bunch of threads which were already talked about and moved on. We didn't loose any valuable information. Not a while lot has changed since 2012 but the equipment we use. Who care what your post count was, that's not what this is about. Let's just puck up and go.[/quote']

For quite a few people, that is their entire existence on this forum. Tank threads, pictures, timelines, etc. That's a lot of time and info lost for some.

One of the first things I implemented was remote daily automated backups. Currently' date=' they are being pushed to two other geographically separated VPS accounts I manage as well as my home server. 2 Daily, 2 Weekly and 1 montly copy are stored at the moment, but I hope to increase those numbers slightly. I would also like some incremental backups done every 6 hours - but I'm having to weigh the performance degradation during backups and bandwidth costs against our need to have a current backup. But, I think we're relatively well set for now.[/quote']

Excellent, Hear that people? Post with confidence! (clap)

I hope you rebuild your epic tank build thread. I feel for those with lots of information vested for the past 2 years. Me' date=' I was pretty much gone these past two years....I probably only lost 5 worthless posts.[/quote']

Appreciate it Vanz, I sure hope to using the Google caches. At least I get a chance to improve / organize it better, all good.

For quite a few people' date=' that is their entire existence on this forum. Tank threads, pictures, timelines, etc. That's a lot of time and info lost for some.[/quote']

I completely 100% agree.

time to rebuild the Clarkatoa story posts. Im rebuilding my tutorial pages and ID database..

You should also make one with pictures. "other" Zoa King of the North

Thanks Squatch, thank goodness the Clarkatoas have a thread on R2R too. Thanks for the reminder.

• Like 1

For many, our hobby started with a Google search. "Tang has white spots all over" returned links to forums with information like we lost. The only difference between goofing off and science is writing it down. The last 2 years, we've just been goofing off.

• Like 1

I don't understand why everyone is so upset about the lost threads? This is a forum' date=' just start new topics and get back to where you left off. No data was lost just a bunch of threads which were already talked about and moved on. We didn't loose any valuable information. Not a while lot has changed since 2012 but the equipment we use. Who care what your post count was, that's not what this is about. Let's just puck up and go.[/quote']

The ability to search the site via topics has taken a big hit. Equipment isn't the only thing that has changed in the last two years. Disease treatment and prevention, coral dips, equipment reviews, and sometimes just good memories that can be relived by paging through old threads.

How many questions will be asked again that were asked and answered, those answers lost. There was a wealth of information and knowledge lost, Yea, most of us have all the old pics stored on our local hard drives and could rebuild the tank threads, the show off threads, etc. but the time invested is immense when you think about. Most of us are busy with daily life and don't have time to devote countless hours of time to rebuild these things.

Those that did spend many hours recovering what was recoverable should be thanked. I know what its like to try to recover from huge data loss. Been there done that back when I worked in aerospace in the '80's and '90's. Back then it entailed a lot of manual threading of magnetic tape drives.

So yea, its kind of a big deal.

• Like 2

Im glad google still remembers my links even though the pages don't exist.. Typing in "Orion star zoas" still comes up with my images. 4 outta the 5 top results are still the squatch images.. even though only 2 of them are actual Orion stars and the other are Mohawks

The ability to search the site via topics has taken a big hit. Equipment isn't the only thing that has changed in the last two years. Disease treatment and prevention, coral dips, equipment reviews, and sometimes just good memories that can be relived by paging through old threads.

How many questions will be asked again that were asked and answered, those answers lost. There was a wealth of information and knowledge lost, Yea, most of us have all the old pics stored on our local hard drives and could rebuild the tank threads, the show off threads, etc. but the time invested is immense when you think about. Most of us are busy with daily life and don't have time to devote countless hours of time to rebuild these things.

Those that did spend many hours recovering what was recoverable should be thanked. I know what its like to try to recover from huge data loss. Been there done that back when I worked in aerospace in the '80's and '90's. Back then it entailed a lot of manual threading of magnetic tape drives.

So yea, its kind of a big deal.

OK yeah that's why I asked, just didn't know how you all felt. I guess I just look at things differently.

For many' date=' our hobby started with a Google search. "Tang has white spots all over" returned links to forums with information like we lost. The only difference between goofing off and science is writing it down. The last 2 years, we've just been goofing off.[/quote'] Well said!
  • Like 1

One of the first things I implemented was remote daily automated backups. Currently' date=' they are being pushed to two other geographically separated VPS accounts I manage as well as my home server. 2 Daily, 2 Weekly and 1 montly copy are stored at the moment, but I hope to increase those numbers slightly. I would also like some incremental backups done every 6 hours - but I'm having to weigh the performance degradation during backups and bandwidth costs against our need to have a current backup. But, I think we're relatively well set for now.[/quote']

Sounds like the broken backup problem is fixed. :) Nice work.