One of many great ideas

180Brandy

How about setting up a PNWMAS Kids Club. Have a forum space just for them. Not a chat room. A place where they can go to to ask questions and learn. Teachers could also use this to their advantage.

Example give them the address of this website have them click on the site find their teachers name, click on it answer some questions for maybe extra credit?

There is a lot we can do with this idea.. Skies the limit....

Anyone have anything to add?

That's actually a really good idea' date=' Brandy. I know we will all be very careful with what we say for the kid's sakes. I really do want to do more for kids education wise. Jay and I had a great time when we went to a school last year and he gave a presentation. We need to give back as much as we can![/quote']

I promise I will be extra good, if I help out...but I might just stay away in order to keep it very kid friendly... (laugh)

I promise I will be extra good' date=' if I help out...but I might just stay away in order to keep it very kid friendly... (laugh)[/quote']

Hey maybe you should be a moderator on such a site, it might just teach you to balance your natural impulse ...around kids (laugh)

Seriously, I think the idea of a kid club is great Brandy. I have a vision of colorful click buttons on the menu, with trivias, photos, movies from club members, contest etc...Even kids /POTM or drawing of the month..voted by the kids

not sure how much web support we have for all that though?

Sounds like the kids could have a lot of fun in the club/forum!

Of course all of us would need to use some tact in our communicating in the forums. It might be a good opportunity for all of us to learn how to play nice. :D (daz) (fishhit) (party) (peace) (yahoo)

Well we would have to make sure it is not too CHEEEZZZZY...DOH! You know kids... (laugh)

Could have the top 10 list by kids, you know, top 10 things I like/dislike to help with the tank, the top 10 coolest fish/invert/corals......etc...in the tank

Even a top 10 list of safe things your kid can help you around the tank and top 10 dangers when you kid is around....

Yeah, good idea Brandy, bring it up to the next meeting!

What we really need is a clown..not the tomato type though (clap) Jay? is that in your job description (laugh)

Well we would have to make sure it is not too CHEEEZZZZY...DOH!

I thought you were for ALL things cheesey!

Are you calling our chief a clown? That is almost as bad as calling stacy a damsal! Although she seems to have the same temperment.... Just don't put me in the same tank. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

living la vida loca

I missed the last meeting unfortunately, sometimes work comes first, this is one of those stretches, but a breather is in site. (threaten)

Did you get a chance to present your idea Brandy? Can we hear about it? I am very supportive of this and will help (probably having some king of work group or committe on this would help). I think you are 100% right: simple is absolutely where this needs to start, while keeping the vision very much in site. Has anyone seen any existing site that would already exist with similar features as the one expressed here? Even if it is in a completely unrelated topic?

Anxious to hear your thoughts!

• 2 weeks later...

Well.....

I think school connections are good. Very good. I'll be building curriculum for a 9 week course for middle schoolers this Summer and Fall. Maybe I can get some kids to build the website!!! I need to check in with parents, administrators, and cover the legal bases. On the site I could make an "ask the expert" section. The kids could email questions in to the club "expert" to answer. Then, someone or someones behind the scenes could answer the questions, forward them to me and I'd post it.

I do see some issues with a kids forum from the public education perspective.

Privacy, online exposure to adult strangers, how to direct kids to the site, how to build interest.

I think convincing educators to try saltwater in their classroom is much more powerful and far reaching. Perhaps we could come up with a plan for a bare bones project that could be given out as a kit to five or six teachers. (29 gallon tank, premade diy rock, salt, donated snails and other detrivores from somebodies fuge,etc.). We could write a grant or try to get some sponsors/ underwiters to help out. Members could volunteer to "mentor" the teacher on the forum or even come and help set up the system. Then, kids could write questions down that the teacher could bring to the forum. Kids could still create a website or digital project as long as it is not interacting with the forum.

I think this forum is "safe" but still, there are many features we use as adults that could keep parents from letting their kids join. i.e. PMs and the email feature. Let's not forget the spammers who try and invade the site now and again. Jay does a great job of cleaning those up, but they are still up and around for a few minutes when we least expect them to be there. (Not good for kids.)

It is a workable idea within a safe framework. I am willing to help with grant writing if we can formulate a strong idea together.

Tidal, I do like the grant idea a lot. Who are you thinking as far as a source for funding? I'd be more than happy to help work on that idea and with the grant development and writing.

The only thing I would worry about kids getting into an adult environement would be if they do get access to the chat forum. But I do see the potential issues with some content of some threads. Something that would need to be adressed either by increasing moderation or just restricting access.

I do like the idea of bringing the project to the teachers too. We could actually get different schools interact together and create a network comparing notes , parameters, success stories and not so successful stories, all that linked to awareness about our oceans and our reefs and the fragility of teh ecosystem and the meaning of preservation. Each project could communicate to each other locally and then enlarge the circle as the idea gets picked up. The projects could even become research units that would find out and post basic facts and statistics about what's goind on in the world reef and ocean. What species are threathened, how many disappeared last year, which type of coral is theratened of extinction and should be tried to be aquacultured etc... unlimited options once you get the ball rolling.

If teh project moves and evolves we could even think about not just creating a kid section but a PNWMAS Junior new site...(laugh)