Cuttlefish Acan Growout Contest

Contestants this is the official thread to post your entries! If you post your entry in another thread it will not count.

Contest begins July 1st!You have a week before and a week after to post up your picture.

This competition will run 6 months!

Ground Rules:

The goal of this competition is to be both educational and fun. I am hopeful the winners will be able to share their "secrets" and truly see how different lighting, supplements, dosing, and tank parameters can make a difference in growth.

Rules and Guidelines for SPS GOC

1. Your first post must include a quick writeup of your system in the competition thread. Including tank size, flow, lighting, placement of the frag, frag measurement, equipment (ie calcium reactor, dosing, etc), feeding regiment, etc.

2. You will be required to post photo updates. The contest will start July 1st. You will be required to post a photo update once a month. I will remind you of this when the time is soon to post. I know life gets busy and people go out of town so you have a 2 week window to post.You will have 7 days before and after the first of the month to post your update. If you do not post within the allotted time frame you will be disqualified.

3. Please no cheating. This competition is meant to be fun and for bragging rights. Cheaters will be disqualified and banned from any future competitions(PEDS were not used for Frankenfrag).

4. The frags must remain on the original plug. You may modify the plug if needed example cutting off the stem for placement. You may place the frag anywhere you want in your tank and you may move it to a different spot during the competition but you cannot move it to a new tank as the point is to see how the frag does over time in different systems.

5. Initial photos of frags need to have a top down as well as side shot so we can all see the frag and what you are starting with. No hiding acan heads in your photos.

Not following the rules will cause you to be disqualified, I know that sounds harsh but it is out of fairness to the rest of the group. Remember a lot can happen in 6 months. During the last growout many were DQ'd due to not posting. It's really simple. JUST DO IT.

Length of competition:

The competition will run for 6 months. This will give us enough time for the frag to grow. A lot can happen in 6 months and a lot of people could drop out, so if you are persistent, you have a chance to win the grand prize. This will give EVERYONE the same advantage\disadvantage with acclimation and so on. Pictures will be required frequently for updates. Final post will be January 1st 2015 for the winner.

Judging a winner:

Should be pretty straight forward this growout. The most polyps at the end wins. This will be based off a percentage of growth from the beginning due to not all frags being exactly the same.

Grand Prize is a nice Acan package from Jeff at Cuttlefish and Corals

Updates will be posted in the first thread so check back frequently

1. Noobtosalt 1 1/2 polyps (7/6)

2. New2Saltwater 1 1/2 polyps (6/24)

3. matty 1 3/4 polyp (7/2)

4. jadams7 2 1/2 polyps (7/2)

5. BlueZReef 2 3/4 polyps (6/24)

6. jack-the-reefer 1 1/2 polyps (6/24)

7. LC Scott 2 1/2 polyps (6/28)

8. earthbound 2 polyps (7/2)

9. Dtech07 dq'd July

10. Claythesavage dq'd July

11. theclark 3 1/2 polyps (6/28) (updated from PM)

12. RickT 2 1/4 polyps (7/1)

13. Hozer21 dq'd july

14. badxgillen 2 1/2 polyps (7/5)

15. Toby Flenderson 2 1/2 polyps (6/24)

16. Dragon 2 1/2 polyps (7/5)

17. Blackiceclown 3 1/2 polyps (7/6)

18. Caolewis dq'd july

19. Smann 2 polyps (7/5)

20. Mcahill 2 1/4 polyps (7/5)

21. Claussen dq'd July

22. No ma'am 3 polyps (7/6)

23. Cor4eyh 2 polyps (7/1)

24. Reef bandit 2 polyps (6/29)

25. kev311 2 1/2 polyps (7/2)

August Updates:

1. Noobtosalt 1 3/4 polyps (7/28)

2. New2Saltwater 2 polyps (7/27)

3. matty dq'd shut down tank

4. jadams7 2 1/2 polyps (8/6)

5. BlueZReef 4 3/4 polyps (7/30)

6. jack-the-reefer 2 3/4 polyps (7/31)

7. LC Scott 2 1/2 polyps (8/3)

8. earthbound 2 polyps (8/6)

9. Dtech07 dq'd July

11. theclark 4 1/2 polyps (7/31)

12. RickT 3 1/4 polyps (8/8)

13. Hozer21 dq'd july

14. badxgillen 3 polyps (8/4)

15. Toby Flenderson 2 1/2 polyps (7/31)

16. Dragon 2 1/2 polyps (unknown date)

17. Blackiceclown 6 polyps (8/3)

18. Caolewis dq'd july

19. Smann 2 polyps (8/4)

20. Mcahill 3 polyps (8/5)

21. Claussen dq'd July

22. No ma'am 3 polyps dq'd august

23. Cor4eyh 2 polyps (8/6)

24. Reef bandit 2 polyps (8/5)

25. kev311 3 1/2 polyps (7/31)

Due to the site being crashed the posts for September will be waived. Unfortunately also due to the site being down we will use these posts for the dq'd list. I know someone questioned me about it but since I don't have way of proving it I'm going to stand behind this post. No hard feelings I hope. Posts will be required at the end of sept.

October Updates:

1. Noobtosalt 3 polyps (10/3)

2. New2Saltwater 8 polyps (9/28)

3. matty dq'd shut down tank

4. jadams7 8 polyps (10/6)

5. BlueZReef 8 polyps (10/4)

6. jack-the-reefer dq'd October

7. LC Scott 3 1/2 polyps (10/3)

8. earthbound dq'd October

9. Dtech07 dq'd July

11. theclark 9 polyps (10/8)

12. RickT dq'd October moved to a different tank

13. Hozer21 dq'd july

14. badxgillen dq'd October

15. Toby Flenderson dq'd October

16. Dragon 7 polyps (10/1)

17. Blackiceclown dq'd due to tank breaking. :(

18. Caolewis dq'd july

19. Smann dq'd October

20. Mcahill 11 polyps (10/7)

21. Claussen dq'd July

22. No ma'am dq'd October

23. Cor4eyh dq'd October

24. Reef bandit dq'd October

25. kev311 dq'd October

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was the one who questioned why I was DQ'ed in August because I posted within the timeframe (8/5) and posted a top down and side view. No hard feelings, but I don't see why I should be DQ'ed...

I believe that you must have missed my post because I attached my photos to my post instead of imbedding them. Here are screenshots of the photo info on my computer showing the date of when my two photos were taken. I took the photos and post them directly after.

[ATTACH]13566[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13567[/ATTACH]

post-9189-141867764132_thumb.jpg

post-9189-141867764134_thumb.jpg

Cuttlefish Acan Growout Contest

I was the one who questioned why I was DQ'ed in August because I posted within the timeframe (8/5) and posted a top down and side view. No hard feelings, but I don't see why I should be DQ'ed...

I believe that you must have missed my post because I attached my photos to my post instead of imbedding them. Here are screenshots of the photo info on my computer showing the date of when my two photos were taken. I took the photos and post them directly after.

[ATTACH]13566[/ATTACH][ATTACH]13567[/ATTACH]

I think it was due to posting pictures but no polyp count. Honestly it was a month ago I don't remember the whole thing. Either way I'm going to be a cyber bully and stick to my post. ;)

I think it was due to posting pictures but no polyp count. Honestly it was a month ago I don't remember the whole thing. Either way I'm going to be a cyber bully and stick to my post. ;)

Nope, wasn't that either as I posted the polyp count as well. I did exactly what everyone else did. Anyway, thanks for the fun first growout...(scratch) good luck everyone.

Nope' date=' wasn't that either as I posted the polyp count as well. I did exactly what everyone else did. Anyway, thanks for the fun first growout...(scratch) good luck everyone.[/quote']

Well then stick around for this. Since I can't verify it your still in.

• 2 weeks later...
What are peds? To be fair a lot of the polyps are very small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

It's what all the fighters and ball players are using these days (performance enhancing drugs) haha

If they are not full polyps they won't count so let me know what you feel is an appropriate count for this month. Either way awesome job on the growth. Mines slowly growing babies now too but nothing like yours. (clap)

Also thanks for posting. We have seven days for the rest of us to post. Let's get this going.

I figured I would let Jeff decide on the winning frag since it came from his shop. Looking back now since I've never done an acan growout it is a little harder to decide. Will work on this over the next few days and get back to everyone. Good thing is we still have three months to go. We're halfway there.

I figured I would let Jeff decide on the winning frag since it came from his shop. Looking back now since I've never done an acan growout it is a little harder to decide. Will work on this over the next few days and get back to everyone. Good thing is we still have three months to go. We're halfway there.

No pressure Jeff...........Ive never been one to hold back my opinion so allow me-DOH!

You should choose the winner, that way if someone is upset its you that they can be upset with and not him-Or maybe make whom ever decided to do the contest decide(whistle)

Regarding determining heads/polyps maybe consider;

If its "fraggable" its a head/polyp

If its fully developed meaning its got a mouth and can take food its a head/polyp

If you bought a frag of the "pictured mother colony" and you received it as your "head/polyp" would you be happy or disappointed

My frag has 15 polyps FWIW (laugh)

No pressure Jeff...........Ive never been one to hold back my opinion so allow me-DOH!

You should choose the winner, that way if someone is upset its you that they can be upset with and not him-Or maybe make whom ever decided to do the contest decide(whistle)

If its fully developed meaning its got a mouth and can take food its a head/polyp

If you bought a frag of the "pictured mother colony" and you received it as your "head/polyp" would you be happy or disappointed

Ok thank you for the clarification and I'm right there with you junkie, I will post up tomorrow.

I don't have an issue with being a cyber bully for the winner. At this point unless I get some crazy growth (which is still possible) I don't see me taking the prize.

I'm just glad your not in this contest...(whistle)

Acans can have a crazy growth spurt don't count yourself out-

I was totally kidding I'm probably closer to what I'd consider 3 fraggable heads with a total of maybe 7 total polyps.

unrelated to this I'm breaking out the Gryphon this weekend so stay tuned to "the other" thread (whistle) and this time I'm serious, like 5-8 different frags serious (backtotopic)

Acans can have a crazy growth spurt don't count yourself out-

I was totally kidding I'm probably closer to what I'd consider 3 fraggable heads with a total of maybe 7 total polyps.

unrelated to this I'm breaking out the Gryphon this weekend so stay tuned to "the other" thread (whistle) and this time I'm serious, like 5-8 different frags serious (backtotopic)

Wahoo!!!(clap)

Can't wait to get some of those in the tank.

Ive never fragged an acan before, thats why I was asking for a definitive answer as to what is a "full polyp". A fraggable polyp leaves it open to interpretation. Im ok with whatever decision is made but not sure if everybody's idea of a polyp you count and a polyp you dont count will be the same across the competition.