Chinese LED group buy

OceanRevive

Hello

My name is Bo and don't spend much time on this forum posting but i have been reading for awhile now. I was over at my friend Mike (madmikes) house this weekend and he mentioned he was thinking of getting LEDs for his frag system. I have been reading the 100+ page ReefCentral thread about chinese LEDs for months. The chinese LED have come a long way and are now a great fixture. I know there are many manufacturers of similar fixtures, but evergrow LED has become the most popular and best quality product that people are purchasing.

I have negotiated a group buy price for 2 different of these fixtures if anyone is interested in purchasing some with me.

1. D120 (55 3 watt LEDs custom colors available (think full spectrum radion), dimmable, hanging kit, heat sinks, fans)

This is a similar unit that has the custom full spectrum coloring but does not have a heatsink. I was able to get them to add fin heatsinks for good measure.

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free-shipping-Best-price-1W-version-Super-Bright-120W-LED-aquarium-light-with-63B-56W/587062331.html

Reefbreeders sells these units built by evergrow also. the dimmable unit like these with optics sells for $219

http://reefbreeders.com/bridgelux_value.html

D120 These will be bought for $140 dollars shipped to us!

[ATTACH]13533[/ATTACH]

2. IT2040 (55 3 watt LEDs cutom colors available, full optics, heat sink, fans, wireless controller, sunset sunrise step simulation feature, hanging kit)

Reefbreeders sells these units built by evergrow also. They sell for $319

http://reefbreeders.com/controllable_led_fixtures.html

IT2040: These will be $240 shipped to us!

[ATTACH]13532[/ATTACH]

This is a link to the Chinese LED thread on RC. It is VERY long but I linked to page 161 where Bhazard who has used and tested many of these reviews the IT2040 unit.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...10092&page=161

The review seems to be that the D120 and the IT2040 are the most bang for the buck in the LEDs today. you can customize each unit to the color you want and they then build and ship them to you. These units will easily cover 2'x2' but can be hung much higher and cover a larger area. They come with 90 degree optics and you can see some par numbers on the RC thread.

We can pay thru paypal but I believe that they will charge 5% extra for paypal fees, I still have to iron that our once we get our totals.

Let me know what you think.

Bo

[ATTACH]13534[/ATTACH]

Groupbuy list:

D120:

CuttleFishandCoral (Jeff) 2 units

CoralCrazy(Heather) 1 unit

Danik(Dan) 2 units

badxgillen (Robert) 1 unit

JimmyK (Jim) 2 units

IT2040:

faithkjy (Bo) - 1 unit

Madmike (Mike) - 2 units

Kev311 () - 1 unit

TRENT (Trent) - 1 unit

Bicyclebill (Bill)- 2 units

***need to clarify which model you want and PM me your email address, so I can send the appropriate DIY layout sheet to you:

11-08-2012:

You will need to make decision:

1. Bulb layout (color and amount)

2. fixture paint (flat black or gloss black)

3. optics angle (none, 120, 90, 60)

Please start to do your research now, or lazy like me, just follow the layout review on RC...it seems we will have enough people tomorrow or the day after, we dont' want to wait to Christmas to make the final order.

i am still seeking a better way to pay this batch to lower down few bucks more for each light. I will keep you updated on email list.

11/8/2012

As we have the plenty of units to get these decent prices, i want to maintain a smaller size of order to avoid a mistake on our orders. This groupbuy is full as I typed this message except who were on the fence and sent me messages before.

11-08-2012 Here are DIY layout sheets, if I forgot to send them to you, you can download from here.

D120:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnLRSQQ82pnFdEt5UnZFNTdTY3hSd0Y3VlAwVlFQRVE&output=html

IT2040

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnLRSQQ82pnFdDl2WDYxWXdWRnUzalNLck5BZkZzU0E&output=html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnLRSQQ82pnFdDhyaWZiOG5wTnp0dWFGOS1ZaWRXV2c&output=html

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnLRSQQ82pnFdDE4eXVhbHlkSnFLN0pwMllXUWI2VkE&output=html

2040 sunset sunrise example

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AnLRSQQ82pnFdEZwTFVfbUxkTUVhalB6c0pZR1J2b3c&output=html

2012-11-06_20-52-39.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

post-5949-141867791124_thumb.jpg

post-5949-141867791127_thumb.jpg

post-5949-14186779113_thumb.jpg

I had two Taotronics 120W led chinese fixtures a year ago. The triple fans on each were incredibly loud inside my hood and that was a big reason I got rid of them. Any idea how the fans in these compare? I'm guessing everyone is using different fans in their designs, but no way to tell until you fire it up.

Are these the same LED's that OIAB carries I ask cause I have heard these have had some problems and I you buy one and have a problem how do you return or get service if you have a problem. I was looking at how you can chose your LED's but see they have a large swing you can get 10k to 14k or 14k to 20k. Don't see how they can have this swing and know what Kalvin your fixture is.

Are these the same LED's that OIAB carries I ask cause I have heard these have had some problems and I you buy one and have a problem how do you return or get service if you have a problem. I was looking at how you can chose your LED's but see they have a large swing you can get 10k to 14k or 14k to 20k. Don't see how they can have this swing and know what Kalvin your fixture is.

Frank, I don't know which lighting OIAB carries. Please check out RC thread about this lighting. I just start the group buy to lower down everybody's shipping cost and has a much better price than buying individually. if there is a problem, you will still need to contact after-sale person. I don't work for them.

From RC, they have a very good customer service and good reputation.

I was looking at how you can chose your LED's but see they have a large swing you can get 10k to 14k or 14k to 20k. Don't see how they can have this swing and know what Kalvin your fixture is.

Frank...I've been reading the Chinese led thread on reefcentral for several hours, lol. That thread had a guy that has tested many of these units from the different factories in china as well as building his own DIY units. The evergrow units seem to have the best build quality as they have broken them down into their components. To answer your question of the kelvin output, having the ability to mix/match my own color combo will allow you to choose whatever combo you like. I would like a "full"'spectrum like the radions that have other colors than white/blue.

I was looking at how you can chose your LED's but see they have a large swing you can get 10k to 14k or 14k to 20k. Don't see how they can have this swing and know what Kalvin your fixture is.

Frank...I've been reading the Chinese led thread on reefcentral for several hours' date=' lol. That thread had a guy that has tested many of these units from the different factories in china as well as building his own DIY units. The evergrow units seem to have the best build quality as they have broken them down into their components. To answer your question of the kelvin output, having the ability to mix/match my own color combo will allow you to choose whatever combo you like. I would like a "full"'spectrum like the radions that have other colors than white/blue.[/quote']

Mike, most unit would add in green and red and call it full spectrum. It also really depends on the white you use, because the white is made of different color. Different white will give you better spectrum. Look at the the spectrum graph from Sanjay on the Radium 400w 20k; it is one of the most popular mh bulb, full spectrum?

I had two Taotronics 120W led chinese fixtures a year ago. The triple fans on each were incredibly loud inside my hood and that was a big reason I got rid of them. Any idea how the fans in these compare? I'm guessing everyone is using different fans in their designs' date=' but no way to tell until you fire it up.[/quote']

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2110092&highlight=chinese&page=162

Here is what I found on RC:

I didn't even notice the fans being on. They are the same as the Nova fans, but they might be running at a slower rpm to reduce noise. Still no heat around the fixture.

Ill check dimensions tomorrow, but it looks a little bigger than a d120.

I also noticed you can set the brightness every half hour which is nice. Unfortunately, it doesn't ramp up or down though, it just switches to the brightness set.

wow those are some great prices and they sound like good fixtures i have been really wanting to dive into leds but have been waiting for prices like these ive always figured i would wait and buy some reefstar leds but these are tempting if i can come up with the money so when is the group buy final when is the money due and is there going to be another chance for this if i cant make it on this group buy thanks

Blackhand, thanks for your interest! I believe both Reefstar and Evergrow are good lighting fixtures. I decided to buy this because it can be customized and TONs of RC advanced reefers approve it. Dont' get me wrong, I heard our local reefers made the success with reefstar as well. At this time, I have a 150w white and blue 50/50 LED, I couldn't keep the purple color. That is why I want to try the full spectrum lighting.

The group buy price will require at least 12 units to make it happen, maybe I can negotiate to 10 units. I spent two nights, totally, more than 10 hours to work on that sale girl! the price she gave me is not the "group-buy" price, it is their wholesale price. She even showed me how much her commission,how much "real" shipping cost and company profit to me. And she said because it is the first groupbuy in this area, she want to establish the reputation, but it is builtup, it will be hard to justify this really low price. After I have 12 units, i will close it up. If you guys want more, i can help the next groupbuy as she is fully believe I am the big guy of this area ( I know, I am sorry, I bluffed her up, that was the only way she believe i have the influence for this group buy event). but I can not guarantee the same price. she may want a little bit more commission from it.

One question that I have but probably already know the answer to is, Are they UL listed?? My guess is probably not but I would warn anybody purchasing anything electrical about questioning the listing of the light. This is a piece of electrical equipment that you are putting over a body of water that may not be built to the standards required for a listing. If it is UL listed then I would say that it is a great price.

I have a 150w white and blue 50/50 LED, I couldn't keep the purple color. That is why I want to try the full spectrum lighting.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news, but its not the lack of "full spectrum" that was keeping you from keeping the color. I run nothing but Royal Blue and Cool White at a 2:1 ratio and every single acro I own has held its color, except my tenius which morphed, but it morphed to something I like more so to me that was a bonus.

My purples, reds, blues, greens, etc etc all hold color, and quite nicely I will add.

My purpose in posting this is ONLY becuase of what I read and that was you were buying these to get a full spectrum becuase you cant keep purple- Depends on your white LEDs are they Cool, Warm, Nuetral, and it also depends on the Blue, I hope you meant Royal Blue, if not, I am sure that was 80% the problem

Thats my experiance

Brad, thanks for sharing your experience. I might lose that purple coral by tuning the doser. I just curious why i only lost that zoa even SPS were okay. I am sure my blue are RB, not sure my white, i guess it is Nuetral color.

anyway, with that price, i want to upgrade to a customized layout, color I want, also much better dimmer to simulate sunrise sunset. still worth the money.

Not trying to be the bearer of bad news' date=' but its not the lack of "full spectrum" that was keeping you from keeping the color. I run nothing but Royal Blue and Cool White at a 2:1 ratio and [b']every single [/b]acro I own has held its color, except my tenius which morphed, but it morphed to something I like more so to me that was a bonus.

My purples, reds, blues, greens, etc etc all hold color, and quite nicely I will add.

My purpose in posting this is ONLY becuase of what I read and that was you were buying these to get a full spectrum becuase you cant keep purple- Depends on your white LEDs are they Cool, Warm, Nuetral, and it also depends on the Blue, I hope you meant Royal Blue, if not, I am sure that was 80% the problem

Thats my experiance

Well said!

One question that I have but probably already know the answer to is' date=' Are they UL listed?? My guess is probably not but I would warn anybody purchasing anything electrical about questioning the listing of the light. This is a piece of electrical equipment that you are putting over a body of water that may not be built to the standards required for a listing. If it is UL listed then I would say that it is a great price.[/quote']

Most of the fixtures are not UL listed including ATI. They go by a European standard CE.