New build thread

Re_Run

Experience

Have kept various tanks over the years as small as 2g up to about 480

After having had Salt Water tanks since 1988 and leaving them in 2007 due to life changes. Came back to the hobby about a year ago with 5 years off. I just bought my new house and will now have 2 fish rooms one in the house for viewing and, a a custom built room in the garage. The tanks being plumbed through the wall to the garage, the Garage section will be framed in as a tempture controlled filter / frag / Breading area.

Set UP

Tanks

100g Star Fire Miracles tank on one end

120g Star Fire Miracles tank on the other end

220 Acrylic (James) envision 3/4" in the middle

1 FOWLR aggressive fish

1 (center) mixed reef with a very wide selection of corals and fish

1 ending in a SPS LPS no fish at all only cuc

Instead of the normal black stand going with a medium chestnut finish

All plumbed through the wall in to a 14 x 18 room.

The stands will be a bookcase look all of the same color. Dedicated to my mother (my she rest in peace) We have several pieces of solid chestnut furniture in the living room that (my mothers) will be the color base for the cabinets and stands.

Ideally To have a sitting relaxation area where you can sit in theater chairs listen to music or read a book and enjoy the different tanks after a long day at work and decompress.

The goal is to have 3 different styles of tanks

Inspiration

Why not one big one a few friends have asked me. Going to try to have a setting that most reflects my life till now. From a young tank fresh with vitality and ambition (aggressive tank) a mixed tank (symbolizing the marriage to my wife with our wonderful children) and SPS and LPS the years of quite with growth and less distractions.

Wants and needs

I want it to be a fairly low maintenance setup in viewing area. With large over stuffed chairs were you can just sit be alone with your thoughts and enjoy the peace that comes.

I need it be fail safe do to my long work hours that my wife and children can help with, without having to have a large and extensive knowledge of care and feeding. To be a family based hobby that every one Can enjoy and participate in.

Equipment

100g Star Fire

120g Star Fire

220g Envision

3 sumps that will be all interlocking with disconnects that will allow them to be run as individual tank tanks in case of sickness

each sump will have a refugium, skimmer setup

A main calcium reactor with backups in case the need to separate them. A kalk water dossing pump/reactor to martain the pH. and a reefkeepoer to rule them all. 2 500 watt titanium heaters, and a 1/2 horse chiller.

The 2 end tanks will have 4 banks each of 3w LEDs total of 360 watts ea. and one each t5 supplemental 460 blue. With the center having 3 250watt MH and 4 t5 supplemental lighting for dusk and dawn effects

The 2 end tanks will have 1ea 3/4" sea swirls and 1 mp40 with the main having 4 1" sea swirls driven by a barracuda pump

The main return pump will be a hammer head. Having installed a dedicated sub-planel with both 220 and 110 volts. The 220v for the pumps and chiller.

So this is the start of my build will be posting pic's of all the materials this week as we get started.

Time frame to every thing up and running 6 months. Trying as far as the basics, tanks, plumbing done in 2 months. then the rest of time to cycle it and fine tune it..

Any suggestions or comments will be welcomed.

Tank shots and equipment shots will come this week.

Thanks for looking.

Kim (btw way thanks for the great frags) has asked (when she was over the other night) When I will have a meeting at my new house.

I figure that I could do that in feburay.. depending on how this build goes.

Specail note to my wonderful wife.

Thank you for supporting me in this, an allowing me my dream to come true.

The build starts next week, the stand builder has the stand for 220 almost finished then will start on the other 2.

Have on hand

the 3 tanks

both the HammerHead and barracuda pumps

lights for the 120 and 220 the 3rd light is being refurbished at the moment

all 6 sea swirls

2 of the 3 stands are built but having them refinished and modified for this build

1 of 2 mp 40's

2 mp10's for use in the refugium and another in frag tank

all 3 sumps skimmers and calcium reactors

reefkeeper

chiller is out for maintance no rush on this part going in to winter

some of plumping parts

mics parts odds and ends

Still Need

the Kalk reactor

1 mp40

most of the plumbing parts

This a pic of the 3rd tank that is currently up and running and will be moved to the new house but the stand once the others are in place will be pulled and redone to match

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13519[/ATTACH]

time frame is 8 weeks to install the new fish room and have the 3 DT tanks and sumps in place(if it done in 12 I'll be happy). the frag tanks LR and breading tanks will come next planning on having a bank or 6 10g breeding tanks for clowns and 2 36x24x16 frag tanks that will come on months 3-4, 1 40g QT and a 10g hosp tank will be set up at the same time as the DT tanks

and just cause a pic of my big mommie

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13520[/ATTACH]

post-8875-141867764053_thumb.jpg

I live in oc (grew up in west linn) if you want help let me know, I'm always willing to mess with fish stuff as long as time permits! I have a bunch of lock line, some egg crate, random odds and ends your more than welcome to just have. Lmk if you need anything! The chestnut color will add a lot of class and style compared to the normal black.

new pics of the stand for the 220 being refinished

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13529[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13530[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13531[/ATTACH]

should be done and delivered by Thursday 11/08

Replacing the back and bottom pannels, inside will be sealed with silicon and then painted marine white.

The out side get a lite stain of honey chestnut then a satin polyurethane finish that will be scratch resistant and water proof.

post-8875-141867764062_thumb.jpg

post-8875-141867764064_thumb.jpg

post-8875-141867764067_thumb.jpg

Okay things are moving along nicely more stand pics, the one side did not come out as well as hope for but it will have another stand/piece along that panel and wontbe seen still bothers me if I was not on such a short time frame for the move would have it removed and replaced. even though it won't be visable I will still know that it is there.. ehh what going to do.. right but the rest it coming out nice and is being delivered today the door pannels will be coming next week mid week. so here is the new look

here is the new color

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13536[/ATTACH]

front view

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13537[/ATTACH]

hood

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13538[/ATTACH]

the side that I'm not super happy with

[ATTACH=CONFIG]13539[/ATTACH]

will update with more pics later to with this one in It's new home

post-8875-141867764071_thumb.jpg

post-8875-141867764074_thumb.jpg

post-8875-141867764076_thumb.jpg

post-8875-141867764079_thumb.jpg

new pics of the stand for the 220 being refinished

attachment.php?attachmentid=13529

attachment.php?attachmentid=13530

attachment.php?attachmentid=13531

should be done and delivered by Thursday 11/08

Replacing the back and bottom pannels, inside will be sealed with silicon and then painted marine white.

The out side get a lite stain of honey chestnut then a satin polyurethane finish that will be scratch resistant and water proof.

That looks amazing!

oaky got most of the tanks moved over..still pending is the 60, 110 (the 60 and 110 go tomorrow), 1.8 and the 6g .. It took a 14' flat bed trailer to move every thing else. the 220 is in place with the 120 sitting on its old stand to messure out the stand for that one.

1st big snag happen today when I mesured the length of the room I didn't take into account the jetty coming out of one corner so if I went 3 sdie by side with the ank I have on hand it will tke a major remodel as it a load bearing collum behind the sheet rock so going to have to do it in and L. I'm oaky with that so now will have to have a custom tank built to wrap the corner so will have 3 instead of 4 tanks.. wife is not pleased but is going to go along with it. but will add more to an already heavy budget.. going to have to wait an extra 2 mons to install the breeder tanks .. crap.. arg.. and what ever else you add to this $^%&!@#%$^&

took a bunch of pic with my cell look like blaaa.. with take some good ones in the morning and post them.

any comments or question thanks..would love a little interaction on this thread if anyone has any Idea or sujestion they would be helpful.. LMK this is going to be a one time thing if you think you can help make it better or if I'm going in the wrong direction let me know.

thanks