Dip into my picO trip

SteveHash-fish20

Alright so I saw this picO for sale on this forum and had to pick it up for the price. I have wanted one of these tanks since I started my last pico tank that was just your fluval you can pick up at a petco.

Unfortunately, I know from nano-reef.com that this company has gone out of business, kinda a shame considering all the cool products they made like the Glazer picO skimmer, and their other picO tanks.

Anyways here is the experiment.

4gal picO

yqyjudet.jpg

su9eqegu.jpge6y4utez.jpg

avahasu5.jpg

Equipment:

Hydor pico evo-mag 300gph

1 hydor heater

Plans:

Mangroves/

AC20 refuge

Gnome glass skimmer

Par 38 LED lamp then shortly after either a kessil a150w or a nano box led light

LS I already have and ready to swap:

27 maxi minis

Yumas

Zoas

CUC:

Hermit crabs

Skunk cleaner shrimp or Manty

Maintenance:

Weekly 20% water change (about 8cups)

Chemi-pur

Filter floss changed weekly- bi-monthly

I plan on keeping this guy up for awhile. As my other tank that I got from Jeramy (thanks Jeramy)

Is going to be stonies only (mainly just chalices and sps)

Wish me luck. :)

Good luck dude. Chemi Pure only needs to be changed out every 4-6 months. Dont want ya throwing away a still good product.

Thanks for the info, I thought it was weeks lol oops

I still won't be holding it that long though. Just cause I last used it and about 4 months the thing broke down kinda, and carbon got EVERYWHERE.

Nub mistake

Boyd also says that you will never have to do another water change and your fish will magically live four times longer.

I used Chemi-Pure Elite for years before I really got serious into reefing. I still had to do water changes and I noticed no increase in fish vitality.

Chemi-Pure is basically just a low grade carbon and GFO mixed together along with a bit of DI resin that gets exhausted extremely quickly in saltwater.

IME you would be much better off making your own "chemi-pure" by mixing a high grade carbon (rox) and GFO together in a bag. Even better keep them separate because the carbon gets exhausted more rapidly and should be replaced more often than the GFO.

Anyway, this should be a cool tank and I'm looking forward to the build.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Boyd also says that you will never have to do another water change and your fish will magically live four times longer.

I used Chemi-Pure Elite for years before I really got serious into reefing. I still had to do water changes and I noticed no increase in fish vitality.

Chemi-Pure is basically just a low grade carbon and GFO mixed together along with a bit of DI resin that gets exhausted extremely quickly in saltwater.

IME you would be much better off making your own "chemi-pure" by mixing a high grade carbon (rox) and GFO together in a bag. Even better keep them separate because the carbon gets exhausted more rapidly and should be replaced more often than the GFO.

Anyway, this should be a cool tank and I'm looking forward to the build.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Thanks man,

Yeah I do that now on the biocube I have two bags, one carbon, one GFO,

Was thinking about doing the same thing but the basket is smaller, I could just hang both bags under the rack.

So my cycle is complete it looks like. (clap)

I tested everything and

Ammonia - 0ppm

Nitrite - 0ppm

Nitrate - 10-20ppm

So i added a snail and one hermit to see if they are okay, if so I think I'm gonna do a water change and add Manty Ramirez to the mix :)

Also, need to go pick my light up from skills n sparrows. I'm excited to get this thing going, it's going to be almost full the first week I set it up, acclimating corals is kinda gonna be a pain in the ***......

So I'm gonna take It day to day. Then shortly after, DOWN GOES THE BIOCUBE! My friend who was going to buy it before backed out

So If anybody is interested in a biocube 29 shoot me a PM before I put it up in the classifieds. :)

Even with the par38,

Also he's about a 1/3 longer than a hermit think he will tear em up?

He might try. Remember, mantis shrimp are masters of energy conservation. If you're feeding him regularly, he will take the easier meal and not waste his time on the hermit. My little mantis killed one hermit, but it lived for about 5 months. I rescued another hermit after his shell was pretty beat up. I swapped him with another one in my 10 gallon tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

He might try. Remember, mantis shrimp are masters of energy conservation. If you're feeding him regularly, he will take the easier meal and not waste his time on the hermit. My little mantis killed one hermit, but it lived for about 5 months. I rescued another hermit after his shell was pretty beat up. I swapped him with another one in my 10 gallon tank.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, sounds good ill just feed him. I mean he loves rods food eats it like a champ,

Ill just get 2-3 hermits to clean up and a snail or two. He should be cool. Like you said if I feed him he should take the easier meal

Thank you, You did, thanks to jaadams got a lot, they are all smaller and not full grown, but there is 27 lol

2 micro babies to (I think) so might be 29. Measured the rock it would fit pretty good as well :)

Woo! good to see they are doing well. Should look awesome in that pico once grown out a bit!