Hello

rworegon

Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby. I come upon a 55gal for a sweet deal and have it set up with about 50 lbs of rock and about 4 in of crushed coral as a substrate.

The cycle went fine and have added CUC a few fish and just a couple of corals. I have experienced the algae bloom and still have some hair on some of the rocks.

I do have a question. I vacuumed the substrate last night and this morning when I turned on the moonlight led my Flamehawk looked like he had been salted. I'm afraid it might be ich, but not sure. The same thing happened last time I disturbed the substrate but by the afternoon no "spots" were visible. The only other fish that shows this is my Coral Beauty, maybe because of the dark coloration on these two fish. Am I just being paranoid or is this something to be worried about?

I'm looking forward to getting to know some people around town that I can learn from and exchange information with. So far this is becoming a bit of an obsession. I just hope the stress level of being a beginner begins to subside.

Welcome to the Forum!

I've had some fish that dig around or hide under things have sand partciles get on them for a while and never turned to ick or anything. If they are disapearing the same day it's definately not ick. If they have ick they will probably start rubbing on rocks and the spots will usually just get worse and won't dissapear. Being a new system and new fish (depending on where they came from) I would definately keep a watch out for it though.

Starting tanks is always stressful, they definately start to level out as the months pass and things become much more relaxed and enjoyable :D

(welcome)(To)(P)(N)(W)(M)(A)(S)

Sounds like you are off to a good start :)

We have a great group of people on this site that have been very helpful to me. I can say with sertanty that I would not have nearly the tank I do now if it was not for this forum. Feel free to ask any questions you come up with, they have yet to laugh at me (that I know of :o) for all the newbie questions I have asked over the last year.

We also have a pretty large group of reefers right in and aroun Eugene, you should not have a problem finding folks to help and trade with :)

Went home at lunch time and the star polyps were open and looking good.

Now I guess i have to take my Coral Beauty back to the LFS. Being a jerk to the other fish. My Flame Hawk is looking stressed and hiding, also chasing my Banggai Cardinal and Talbots.

Honestly, your probably better off not having an angel if you want to have a reef. Some people skate by with no issues, but they tend to be mean and also pick on corals occasionally. In my opinion it's easier to get them out and leave them out then try to get them out of an established reef tank (without messing up your corals and being generally pissed lol)

Strange that your flame hawk is being mean like that. Mine was always docile, but was chased and tormented by my clowns. They each have their own personality so sometimes it's hit and miss with some fish.

Honestly, your probably better off not having an angel if you want to have a reef. Some people skate by with no issues, but they tend to be mean and also pick on corals occasionally. In my opinion it's easier to get them out and leave them out then try to get them out of an established reef tank (without messing up your corals and being generally pissed lol)

Strange that your flame hawk is being mean like that. Mine was always docile, but was chased and tormented by my clowns. They each have their own personality so sometimes it's hit and miss with some fish.

The Flame Hawk was not the one being mean. It was the Coral Beauty that was the bully. The Hawk has always been the model citizen. Very personable and fun. The Angel would chase him around and tail slap him. I got the angel out last night and returned to LFS for credit. Going to wait a little while before putting any more fish in the tank. Hoping everyone will settle down and recover from the stress.

The Angel was really hard to catch. Took about an hour. Patience really is the key in all aspects of this hobby.