Help

devynmurphy8

Is it a fish only system? Do you ever plan on converting it to a reef. If you answered yes to the first question and no to the second you are in luck. :) Most meds like copper or quick cure will harm inverts but if you have none you can use them. Keep in mind that the copper will forever linger in the sand and rock, this means that you will never be able to turn your tank into a reef or sell your rock/sand to a reefer. The quick cure will stain your silicone if you have a glass tank but IME will not linger like copper. Both are quick and effective, I have never used copper so I am speaking purely from what I have read. Another option is Hypo (this is how I am currently treating my system) The advantage of hypo is that you will be able to use the rock and sand in a future reef but like the other treatments ALL inverts will need to be removed from the system prior to treatment. Hypo is effective but by no means quick. Hope that helps. feel free to post up any questions, I will try to check back on this thread. Good Luck!!!

Dont use copper on puffers, it can be especially harsh on them, there is a very fine line between killing ich and killing the puffer. I would strongly recommend the hypo route with them

Quick cure is more for freshwater (the proportion on malachite green to formalin is based on freshwater circumstances). It can be really tricky to use on marine fish. The dosage is different, and again, puffers are extremely sensitive to both medications in it. Formalin itself would be a bettter choice (best used as a dip) than with malachite green but remember, MG gets more toxic at high pH and formalin removes oxygen. When taking all this into consideration, hypo is much easier to maintain and have success for the average aquarist.

Good save MVP, I have never kept puffers so I know next to nothing about them; except for their tendency to eat the critters I do keep. I have used quick cure (malachite green/formalin) in a marine tank with success, no puffers of course. The bottle instructs you to you half the freshwater dose. hypo is not fast but in reality it's best not to rush these things.