Sign in to follow this  
Chief

Welcome to the Suggestion Box

Here is a venue for all of our members to give us input.

What would you like to see at the next meeting?

Ideas for fundraisers?

Activities?

Educational opportunities?

You get the idea. This is a brainstorming thread.

Please post each new idea as a separate thread. That way no ideas get lost.

Jay

A group buy (for those who want to) on full length's of acylic cylinders for Protien Skimmer's, Ca Reactor's, Denitrate Reactors,Phos Reactor's. What does everyone think about doing a purchase for future DIY project's.

Glad to see the suggestion box up so quickly!

I think there were several good ideas floated at the meeting yesterday which it would be good to have input on. Some of my favorites in no particular order...

1. Sponsoring a tank locally (OMSI?) and/or at the Hatfield - this seems like a nice combination of educational opportunity and way to raise awareness of the group.

2. Tank of the month - feature a member tank/story on the site then follow up with informal presentation/discussion at the next meeting.

3. Frag exchange/sale - having a mechanism to donate frags for auction/sale to support the club as well as facilitate exchanges between members.

4. Some featured "reef basic" presentation/discussions at the meetings where some of our local expertice could be put to use to help inform members in areas they may not be well versed in - this could help expand our overall knowledge base and perhaps draw in some newcomers and suplement the more detailed talks by invited guests. Not sure if this actually came up at the meeting but I would love to have something like an SPS tutorial.

Thanks for the chance to throw some ideas out there!

The group buy idea is pretty good to as it would allow us to use some group buying power - the trick will be finding enough people who want the same thing!

what about a group buy on other things like live rock? I dont want to step on any of the sponsors toes but there are some great deals out there online for pallet quantities of rock.

I like the tank at OMSI idea, my only concern is that they are alway's changing exhibit's. Is this something that they would want for a long term exhibit. The other Idea is what about the Oregon

Zoo as a possible tank location.

The only negative thought i had about the zoo was how far away it is from alot of members, but i'm sure that can be figured out.

Thought this was interesting:

Thats what they have at the senaca zoo in ny.The URSNY maintain a reef tank there, and have been doing so since 2002. David Playfair (a former RC regular that had many followers) was one of the guys that got this project going.

As far as I recall it is a 540g reeftank made of glass. It is installed in a large room that has huge windows to view polar bears on the left and sea lions to the right.

Each Sunday, one or more members go to work on the tank.

They have specific rules, such as you can't kill anything in the tank. So aiptasia can't be nuked, and flatworms get to thrive. Kind of crazy, but the signed contract requires that they follow the guidelines. In front of the tank are two permanent binders that have heavily-laminated pages about each animal or coral in the tank.

read more here:

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1126060

I'd like to see an agenda published ahead of time for each meeting.

wegotjs,

If you want to do a group buy on cylinders, start a thread on it in GD and we'll see how many and of what size folks want. I'll look into pricing on it.

James

I'd like to see us put together a set of links and resources for beginners. I'd be happy to help, but it would be nice to have an experienced reefer editor to make sure we don't miss stuff.

usually 5' and 6' lengths for most sizes IME. Also gotsta think about cast vs extruded and if cast - what wall thickness. Try not to make it too complicated else it prolly won't happen. If everyone wants 2' of a different size or type, kinda hard to justify any sort of group buy. *Generally* speaking, anything 8" diameter and above will be cast, below that can be cast or extruded. Most common wall thickness for extruded is 1/8" and for cast is 1/8" and 1/4" wall thicknesses. For cast materials, the cost difference between 1/8" and 1/4" is relatively insignificant, kinda one of those things - if you're willing to spend $30/ft for 1/8" wall, why not $34/ft for 1/4" wall.

As a preliminary thought, howsabout:

6" diameter x 1/8" wall cast and/or extruded, see how response goes

8" diameter x 1/4" wall cast

10" diameter x 1/4" wall cast

James