Hi everyone just starting up

HawaiianPride

(welcome)(To)(P)(N)(W)(M)(A)(S)

Good to hear you are doing your reserch. Fresh water will give you a leg up but saltwater is a whole different world (nutty). Feel free to ask any questions you come up with. We have a friendly group on here that have been more then helpful. I could not have been as successful in my reef without them :)

It's awesome finding a place with like minded people' date=' it's funny trying to explain to my girlfriend about all the different aspects there are to keeping fish and she is appalled at the money I put in to it, but it's really addicting.[/quote']

Welcome it sounds like you will fit right in. Reading some beginner books is helpful. I also found visiting fellow reefer's on this forum and looking at their set ups gave me a lot of ideas. There are lots of very experienced knowledgeable people many from the Corvallis area. We also have monthly meetings and the next one is coming up at the end of October.

It's awesome finding a place with like minded people' date=' it's funny trying to explain to my girlfriend about all the different aspects there are to keeping fish and she is appalled at the money I put in to it, but it's really addicting.[/quote']

I've found the best thing, or one of the best things a person can have when starting out is a separate bank account (whistle)this is after all an addiction right? When people have addictions isn't it common to hide things (whistle), like the crazy amount of money a person will spend on a 1/2" "frag" of something(nutty)

I'ld be willing to bet ever 95% of the people in this hobby have told their significant other a lesser amount than they actually paid for "something" reef related(laugh)

just remember go slow, theres been plenty of mistakes we have all experienced that new people can learn-like you wont need to run your lights while your tank cycles, it will just help the diatom bloom you will have.

Welcome

Welcome to the forum, the people here are really cool, most are very knowledgable also! I agree with going slow, the best advice I could give some one in the transition stage is to buy everything you need well before you plan to start your build. Take time in thinking out the plumbing, lighting, water flow, rock work, etc or it will sneak up and bite you in the butt later!

I appreciate all the advise, I wish I new about the leaving the lights off during cycling before I started my FW tank, would of saved me a lot of frustration. Yea I realized a little while ago how expensive salt tanks are so I'm trying to slowly piece together my build. Oh I might just take you up on your offer badxgillen lol.

• 3 weeks later...