HELP

YUP

I bought a cool purple looking xenia from TPA with some green ricordea mushroom on it. The problem is, it also has some regular brown polyps on it and i think the polyp and the xenia is attacking each other... The xenia looks battered and the polyp is retracting and then extending like a war:( they do touch each other... My 3 yr old daughter decided she was a photographer and broke my camera, so cant show pics. Please help? how should i get rid of polyps and try to save xenia and ricordea?

Are you sure it's not the ric doing the stinging? I suppose if it is the brown polyps (i'm assuming palys or zoas of some kinda, which is odd for warfare), you can mix up some concentrated kalkwaser solution and spray it in their mouths. They will die off in a few days from this. You could also just pull the rock out and scrape the polyps off with a razor blade or knife.

Eventually you should probably isolate the ric or it will sting the xenia if it gets close enough.

Xenia can be weird stuff. It will be a weed in some peoples tanks and will melt away in others.

It grows well in my 10 gallon and my pest tank, but it shrinks up and looks awful in the 7.5 gallon tank. That may have to do with not enough light. The 7.5 has a 24 watt fluorescent 50/50 fixture, but the 10 gallon tank has 96 watts! And the pest tank has a crazy bright par 30 LED lamp.

What kind of light do you have?

The xenia in the pest tank is surrounded by and touching majanos, aiptasia and brow polyps with no ill effects.

well shoot, i cut off the polyps before i read any responses. The ricordia is also touching the xenia, should i just try and move the xenia to a different rock? How would i go about doing that?

my light is a 4x54w finnex with led lights... the xenia is at the bottom of the tank, the ricordia mushrooms are doing great at that lvl, not the xenia though:( I probably need to move the xenia up to middle or top of tank.

How long have you had it? Check your iodine levels. Iodine is a key component for Xenia health. Also I would move it to a mid to high flow area. When I was growing Xenia I had multiple frags that got away from me when I was pruning it. The AWOL frags that grew and flourished were the ones in the higher flow areas of the tank and the frags that didn't do so well were in the low flow areas.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Well, its too late:( i tried moving the xenia and it melted away, the xenia got the last laugh though, as it took the green rico that was touching it with it. All well, there is still two green rico mushrooms on that rock and a little polyp, so the ten bucks isnt a complete lose:)