Clams

NoobtoSalt

I have a couple clams currently and am thinking of getting a couple more. Since i only have a biocube any suggestions on how many what types etc. i don't wasn't to breed them so i would prefer to not have the same types in the tank but will they still try and reproduce with different species? I know when Alex had the clam hotel, Roberts big clam was always happy. Just don't want to get into a ton of water changes down the road.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I would stick with ones that stay smaller, crocea and maxima. They are going to use A LOT of calcium, alk, mag to build their shells. Also you will need some kind of nutrient input for them too (ie couple fish) Other then that have good light over them and they should do fine.

Clam stocking density doesnt really matter as long as you can keep up with what they require. You will need to be very vigilant on checking for pests (pyramid snails, any corals anemones that might sting their mantle)

I really doubt the clams will spawn on you unless you water quality goes bad, then its a last ditch effort by the clam to keep its species alive. Clams are hermaphrodites and start out life as males, and then turn to females. On average a female doesnt develop until after 5-6 years.

I kept 55 clams in a 60 gallon tank so it can be done ;) Also i have bred clams several years ago and got them to spawn out. I thinking about starting that little venture back up again

I would stick with ones that stay smaller, crocea and maxima. They are going to use A LOT of calcium, alk, mag to build their shells. Also you will need some kind of nutrient input for them too (ie couple fish) Other then that have good light over them and they should do fine.

Clam stocking density doesnt really matter as long as you can keep up with what they require. You will need to be very vigilant on checking for pests (pyramid snails, any corals anemones that might sting their mantle)

Yeah so far so good. I've had these two clams for about 6 months or so. I was considering another crocea or maybe a couple more maximas. As far as livestock I don't plan on stocking it too heavy with fish. Was thinking maybe another clown and calling it good. Lighting isn't an issue with my LED's either. (clap) I was more worried about them spawning like the clam hotel was..(laugh)

Yes there are hybrids in the wild, but getting a clam to grow to full size in a home aquarium is very very difficult. You wont have it happen in a normal aquarium, the spats will be eaten or die long before they become clams. You will need a system just dedicated to the clams with nothing else in there. Most spawns in home aquariums are just sperm, rarely do you get the sperm and eggs. Then there is the issue of polyspermy if you dont control the amount of sperm to eggs ratio. Anyway lol i could write a book about it. If your interested further let me know

Yes there are hybrids in the wild' date=' but getting a clam to grow to full size in a home aquarium is very very difficult. You wont have it happen in a normal aquarium, the spats will be eaten or die long before they become clams. You will need a system just dedicated to the clams with nothing else in there. Most spawns in home aquariums are just sperm, rarely do you get the sperm and eggs. Then there is the issue of polyspermy if you dont control the amount of sperm to eggs ratio. Anyway lol i could write a book about it. If your interested further let me know[/quote']

Just went back and read through Alex's thread. Looks like I just need to skim more when they spawn. And do water changes. I think it's worth the risk. I know Shaun has a ton of Maxima's in his solano so I can't go wrong with a few more in my tank.

Ya you will be fine Jesse, just keep your water quality up and watch the chemical uptake (you will be amazed at how fast they can go through calcium) I got baby maximas to actually settle out and grow to about 2-3mm before they would die in a dedicated system. This was back in the late 1990's. I helped alex along the way and we found out it was just to expensive and difficult to get mature adult female maximas from existing clam farms in the south pacific.