Is my Birstletooth Tang alright?

Derbird

Hello everyone,

Tonight during feeding time I noticed some blotchy marks on my 5" Bristletooth Tang (Ctenochaetus binotatus). It looks like he has had the right side of his / her head scrapped up pretty bad but I don't want to jump to conclusions just in case it is something more serious.

Sorry for the dirty glass DOH!

100_0286.jpg

100_0265.jpg

A couple of videos so you can get different angles

th_100_0267.jpg

th_100_0268.jpg

I believe I got this Tang back in Feburary. He / she has been very active and eats like a pig. This fish is a brat baby. The last fish added to my system was a Green Mandarin Dragonet (Synchiropus splendidus) two months ago.

Tank info (tests taken two weeks ago)

125 gallon 6'

40 gallon fuge

Salinity 1.025

Temp 79

Amonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 2

Alk 8

Mag 1250

Cal 420

I really cant QT him / her. I have a 20L or a biocube I could use but that would be a death sentence for such a large tang.

Thank you for any advice or ideas(help)

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/HLLESWCauseF.htm

decided to look it up for you and the only corilation i can find with the white spots is HLLE

God I hope its not HLLE. There is no fin erosion and it is localized to the head so knock on wood (scary)

is it just on one side thomas?

Yes only the right side. The other side looks perfectly normal. That is why my first thought was a bad crash in to a rock (we both know these guys do that)

God I hope its not HLLE. There is no fin erosion and it is localized to the head so knock on wood (scary)

Yes only the right side. The other side looks perfectly normal. That is why my first thought was a bad crash in to a rock (we both know these guys do that)

yeah, im not gonna say it is HLLE but i do hope its not. such a beautiful fish. i love bristle tooths and zebramosas.

cant wait to get my 85g set up!!!!!!

dk what exactly to get as fish yet.

but back to topic.

yeah it could be a bad crash as well, if it doesnt get any worse it wouldnt be the worst assumption.

try giving it a melafix bath and see what happens.

yeah, im not gonna say it is HLLE but i do hope its not. such a beautiful fish. i love bristle tooths and zebramosas.

cant wait to get my 85g set up!!!!!!

dk what exactly to get as fish yet.

but back to topic.

yeah it could be a bad crash as well, if it doesnt get any worse it wouldnt be the worst assumption.

try giving it a melafix bath and see what happens.

Yes this fish is every bit the brat yours is. But I can't imagine not having him in the tank LOL

I'll watch him for a few days to see if it clears up. You all know the OMG moment when you see some thing wrong with a fish.

Steve. If you want a colorful peaceful fish get the yellow. If you want a charicter that will drive you up a wall while worming its way in to your heart the birstletooth is your fish.

Yes this fish is every bit the brat yours is. But I can't imagine not having him in the tank LOL

I'll watch him for a few days to see if it clears up. You all know the OMG moment when you see some thing wrong with a fish.

Steve. If you want a colorful peaceful fish get the yellow. If you want a charicter that will drive you up a wall while worming its way in to your heart the birstletooth is your fish.

yeah, im pretty sure the yellow is the pick.

as i love the purple but they roll alone in the wild, which leads them to be a lot more territorial than the yellow.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/HLLESWCauseF.htm

decided to look it up for you and the only corilation i can find with the white spots is HLLE

+1

but really hard to tell under your lights.. could you get a pic under some 10ks daylights? or some thing similar

may have gotton scratched on your rocks and got infected... how long has she been like this and did it start smal and get bigger.. few more details

also have a 40g set up as a hosp / qt tank thats empty of LS at the moment if need to house her to medicate.. no copper allow sry

my first thought was a fight or ran into something since its only on one side that would make sense but it would be good to know if it started smaller and got bigger or if that is how it originated i dont think that hlle would be spread that fast but im no expert hope all is well he/she is a beautiful fish

It just showed up. In the morining when they got breakfast the tang looked normal then when they got dinner I noticed the marks. It would be pretty quick for a infection but I'll keep an eye on the little guy. I spend a lot of time looking at the tank anyways :)

I would even suggest that it might have gotten to close to a coral and ended up getting stung. Not sure what is all in the tank but my frogspawn i am pretty sure got my blonde tang.

That is a good thought. I have had a condy in my tank for a long time and the tangs go right up to it and it dosen't seem to sting them. Maybe it tried the same thing with the new RBTA. Or the Sailfin gave him a long over due *** whopping

That is a good thought. I have had a condy in my tank for a long time and the tangs go right up to it and it dosen't seem to sting them. Maybe it tried the same thing with the new RBTA. Or the Sailfin gave him a long over due *** whopping

Im in that boat he looks fat and healthy otherwise