I just have to brag a little about my new 300 gallon deep dimension starphire :)

jenna

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jenna,

We will chat about the Vortechs and controller options. They are awesome. There are so many cool things we have yet to discuss in terms of equipment options. :)

K! We will probably come in on Wednesday (with only ONE kid!) That's the day our equipment is coming in too, right?

I have a starphire 250DD marineland and if I could do it all over again I would've drilled the drain holes bigger, or better yet done a closed loop. You can only get so much water through the tiny slits for the over flow and with that water volume you need flow,I cut every other one out and still not enough. just my experience. I believe the over flow part was a bad design on an otherwise awesome tank.

Hmmm. Well thank you for the head's up. How long ago did you buy your 250? I wonder if they've fixed the design flaw by now...? I know that our tank will have two large corner overflows. This is something I'll mention when I go into the shop this week and see if there's anything I can do to compensate if it's going to be a possible issue. Thanks!

Hmmm. Well thank you for the head's up. How long ago did you buy your 250? I wonder if they've fixed the design flaw by now...? I know that our tank will have two large corner overflows. This is something I'll mention when I go into the shop this week and see if there's anything I can do to compensate if it's going to be a possible issue. Thanks!

No worries here. I already have some plans in mind.

There was a group buy a few years back for mp40s. It was kinda of a mess and a lot of people ended up not paying on time and the guy who put it all together ended up paying out of pocket until people came through with the money. It is totally against ecotech policy to have a group buy but people do them secretly and if caught they will no longer be a vender.

There was a group buy a few years back for mp40s. It was kinda of a mess and a lot of people ended up not paying on time and the guy who put it all together ended up paying out of pocket until people came through with the money. It is totally against ecotech policy to have a group buy but people do them secretly and if caught they will no longer be a vender.

Oh yikes! Nevermind then...lol

Sounds good to me about the group buy!! So what is your plan to deal with the flow issue' date=' Garrett?[/quote']

I will explain it a bit better at the shop but essentially I think a focus on overall water movement in the display is the most important issue. We have some options to go over but we are definitely going to make sure that we have some cereal flow in this bad boy.

There are lots of aquascaping threads on reefcentral and even a couple of 300DD threads. I got many ideas from looking at those.

These threads are great. They will give you some nice ideas. I have a few ideas for you here as well. Aquascaping can be one of the most rewarding parts of this hobby. This is primarily why I wanted you guys to go with the DD tank so that you could really catch some demension with your rockwork.

I sense a powerful drill, a masonry bit, and some acrylic rod in Ralph and Jenna's near future ;)

These threads are great. They will give you some nice ideas. I have a few ideas for you here as well. Aquascaping can be one of the most rewarding parts of this hobby. This is primarily why I wanted you guys to go with the DD tank so that you could really catch some demension with your rockwork.

I sense a powerful drill, a masonry bit, and some acrylic rod in Ralph and Jenna's near future ;)

I've googled "bonsai reef tank" and I think those look so amazing. I'd love to be able to aquascape like that where there's plenty of open sand bed, caves, open rockwork & swimming space to help with flow & aeration. Japanese style reef tanks are beautiful as well. Equipment is hidden as much as possible & there's much attention paid to the way colors and shapes work together.

As far as metal halide vs led lights go, I hadn't really thought of it! I have known that mh is typically the go-to lighting for an sps dominant reef but I know that people (like Nate for example) are switching to led. What would be the pros/cons for either?