Calcium is UBER high...should I be worried?

Blue Z Reef

Alkalinity is a measure of negatively charged ions in the water which can buffer ph swings up or down . Ph is a measure of positively charged H protons which lower ph. CO2 has no effect on alkalinity.

The process is always moving as CO2 from the surrounding air plays in and creates an equilibrium :as it does , the CO2 adds H + and bicarbonate as it hydrolizes to carbonic acid in water: CO2 +H20= CH2O3 . Then almost all of it disassociates to CHO3( bicarbonate) and H+ in salt water : H2CO3 = HCO3 = H+ . The bicarbonate is one unit of alkalinity, ie one negatively charged ion. The H+ adds one unit of acidity . So, the effect of CO2 on alkalinity is zero. but the effect of CO2 additions on ph is to lower it. So you can have high alk and low ph and vice versa

Quoted from johanthon

I've been using salinity for about a year and noticed I don't need the kalk anymore. It does run a little different than other salt mixes. I mix lower than what it says because it mixes at higher levels. I also let it mix for atleast 24 hours before doing a water change.

I have a extra bottle of eighty-four I can send with thomas to bring to the meeting if you want it.

That would be excellent! I was dreading road tripping around to find the stuff. PM me if you want me to PP you some cash for it.

IME. Photosynthesis/respiration rates have much more to do with co2 concentration than atmospheric difference. I am not arguing more co2 will lower pH (respiring corals at night produce co2 instead of o2 which is the main cause of day/night pH swings) but I have never noticed anything from atmosperic differences.

But the relationship between alk/pH is linear. It seems like you are stating co2 has no effect on alk, which I never stated. I originally stated pH and alk have a relationship. There is also a carbonate/bicarbonate balance. That is why there are two 2-part recipes. More carbonate will take up that extra proton taking care of the acid part (that is why they tell you to use soda ash (carbonate) if you tend to have lower ph, as it willtake up the protons). Higher carbonate to bi carbonate ratios will help keep pH up by taking on the proton from the reaction you described. Higher bicarbonate to carbonate ratio tend to leave the proton letting it lower pH slighly or not at all, which is why the recommend bicarbonate if you PH runs high, it wont take it higher