HELP

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Should i be worried about my clams at all? They seem to be fine but will high level phosphates effect them too?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I think they will be fine. I know at the big clam farms they will add nutrients to the water (including phosphates and nitrates) to help the clams grow. In Daniel Knop's book he also indicates that nitrates and phosphates are necessary for a healthy clam.

I think they will be fine. I know at the big clam farms they will add nutrients to the water (including phosphates and nitrates) to help the clams grow. In Daniel Knop's book he also indicates that nitrates and phosphates are necessary for a healthy clam.

Was just going to say the same, a lot of readings I found before I bought my clam said that nitrates around 5 and phosphates are not bad, as long as they don't get out of control.

Was just going to say the same' date=' a lot of readings I found before I bought my clam said that nitrates around 5 and phosphates are not bad, as long as they don't get out of control.[/quote']

Since i haven't tested them i have no idea how bad it was or is, other then it killed off a lot of corals

Is there anyone local that I can drop off my remaining corals to before I loose them all? I'm going to take my softies up to my parents tank but the few sps pieces and chalices won't make it with their lighting. My tank somehow crashed last night. not sure what the heck happened but I don't want to loose everything..(sad)

you can bring them here i currently have open tanks

Jesse i have had problems like you are describing when my Alk was sitting around 7.5, once i started dosing and able to keep it stable at 8.25ish things have been much more under control. If life gets busy and i start to notice lack of EP or bleaching more likely then not my Alk is too low. From what i have seen with regards to your pictures, i don't see RTN but i haven't read every single post, there is a lot of hot air on this thread! I have had plenty of RTN and tissue actually peels off.

Jesse i have had problems like you are describing when my Alk was sitting around 7.5' date=' once i started dosing and able to keep it stable at 8.25ish things have been much more under control. If life gets busy and i start to notice lack of EP or bleaching more likely then not my Alk is too low. From what i have seen with regards to your pictures, i don't see RTN but i haven't read every single post, there is a lot of hot air on this thread! I have had plenty of RTN and tissue actually peels off.[/quote']

Mine is not the alk it was definitely phosphates with my algae bloom i had. I've done a few water changes and the few corals i have left look like they will pull through. If you come to the meeting don't laugh at how bad it looks right now. Pretty depressed, was looking to show off the tank and all it's glory and this had to happen to me..lol

I know there is only so much I can do about this thread and can only thank everyone so much but wanted to send out a thank you to those of you that either offered help to hold the corals (which ended up not happening, or offering support here in the thread). Contrary to "popular" belief this had absolutely nothing to do with the firefish missing. Somehow this thread got sidetracked on my negligence to pull a $100 fish away from my CUC. I am 99.9% confident that the fish had nothing to do with the phosphate issue.

As far as losses so far here is what was lost:

7 eye Oregon Mummy Eye (most of the base is gone a few eyes are still kind of there, will likely start feeding it mysis and try and save it)

Tyree Robokaki Chalice (gone)

Superman Monti (gone)

Sunset Monti (base is no longer orange but polyps are out)

4 nice colonies of Purple Digitata (gone)

1 Large colony of Blue Digitata (a few branches might make it)

1 Green Digitata (gone)

1 Orange Digitata (trying to fight back)

4 Orange Acans (still a little orange and coming back)

Nice Large Orange Monti Cap (gone)

30+ head Purple Lord Acans (making a come back, about 10 poylps died back but still have some peaking out)

2 Orange Setosta pieces (gone)

Green Birdsnest Colony (gone)

This could have been much worse as I have a lot more corals in the tank than that. It's still a huge blow to the tank but at least I don't have to start completely from scratch. At some point in the next few weeks I will likely be looking for some Digi's since they seem to grow quite fast in the tank with the leds.

How much have you been feeding the clowns? I wonder if the added bio load caused an ammonia spike that set off a chain reaction?

Once a day like I always have. Pretty sure it was not amonia. I have done 3 water changes over a few days period of time, as well as running carbon and adding prime. I'm confident that Robert nailed it on the head with phosphates, I just never got around to getting a test kit for it. I think that will one of my next investments down the road. Still not sure how it happened, guessing the wrasse kicked up the sandbed, just glad that I still might have a shot at a few of my corals making it.

so since you are thinking that it was the wrasse that caused the phos problem how could this be adverted is it cause you have a smaller tank or do you not have enough cuc to clean the sand bed just trying to understand why this doesnt happen to more people with wrasses and how this can be adverted since im wanting to add a few wrasses to my tank once its ready ok thanks and really sorry this happened ive never had a tank full or nearly full when problems happen and cant imagine with that much invested thats tough

so since you are thinking that it was the wrasse that caused the phos problem how could this be adverted is it cause you have a smaller tank or do you not have enough cuc to clean the sand bed just trying to understand why this doesnt happen to more people with wrasses and how this can be adverted since im wanting to add a few wrasses to my tank once its ready ok thanks and really sorry this happened ive never had a tank full or nearly full when problems happen and cant imagine with that much invested thats tough

The problem is that I don't know if it was the wrasse or not. That was the only difference in the tank to cause a spike so it's really just a guess. As far as CUC I have plenty of CUC in the tank to stir up the sandbed and it's not a sand dwelling wrasse as it is. I wish I had a great answer to what caused it but I still have no idea how I had a high increase of phosphates, but it was obvious that it was that due to the huge algae bloom over a half day time on Saturday.

If you have a DSB (doesn't have to be very deep just has to be anaerobic) then if it is disturbed by a wrasse, fallen powerhead, re scaping ext. you can release all kinds of nasty stuff. In a larger system this would be diluted in the water column. Filtration such as skimmers ext. could also help negate the effects. DSBs are great though, they are home to a bacteria that converts nitrate to a gas. I know of several tanks with DSBs that have zero nitrates and haven't had a water change in several years!!! The systems I know of that use this method don't typically house sps though.

Thanks for the clarification. Now would you syphon the top of a dsb? And is it more beneficial then a shallow sand bed.

HTC EVO

DSBs are home to anaerobic bacteria so in that way yes they are more beneficial. However this is an issue of great controversy amongst reefers, some love DSBs others hate them. I for one always employ them and feel they are the MOST essential part of my filtration. I have a very hands off "old school" approach to my system though. essentially if you are thinking of using one do a lot of research so that you can understand all the pros and cons. Oh and no, I would never syphon a DSB; not even the surface. I'm not really sure why you would want to though? If you are having algae issues you probably just need more flow/hermits to keep the surface clean.

ya but if you changes the water alot there wouldnt be ant fosfates feeding them twice a day isnt bad i feed all my baby clowns 3 somtimes 4 times a day with a 50 gal change once a week and there golden check the alk and ph you might need to buff it is my guess a big change in water is huge i used to get my water premixed from seahorse and my tank looked like crap now i filter my own water ro di with kent salt and all my 68 tanks love it i run jc clownfish bought it from dave in vanc and he has filled me in on alot of stuff i was missing it also sounds like somthing might be wrotting and you cant see what it is i have had that happen twice they get under a rock and stink up the whole thing