HELP

NoobtoSalt

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt carbon caused it if its for aquarium use. The other corals may be affected in time but sps and then lps will show first signs. Zoas and many softies can live through much worse. Chloramines?

It's the same water I've been using for a long time. As far as carbon I went ahead and just put some back in the tank to help with it. The corals I feel are either going to make it from this point or die a painful death. I'm not going to move any of them as I feel that it will just stress them out even more. If I don't get many to be saved I'm pretty sure this will be my last week with reguards to reefing for awhile. I can't continue to throw this kind of money around all the time, it's just not worth it. This was one of the main reason's I was always worried about running an SPS tank this small, and well now I see why I shouldn't have done it. DOH!

I just want to say thank you to all that have offered to either house the corals or offered help here on the forum. When something like this happens the first thing that comes to mind is to just freak out!!

Have you found the helfirichi body? Or are you letting it rot in the tank? Cause since your doing so many water changes it could be unreadable if your testing after. I have no clue what the problem could be if params are in check maybe its the lights.. Idk why it could be but besides that idk what would be making your corals melt.. Especially at random when they were doing good? Weird stuff man, maybe something got in the tank that's untraceable

Here is a list of corals that I have lost so far or are on there way out:

7 eye Oregon Mummy Eye

Tyree Robokaki Chalice

Superman Monti

Sunset Monti

4 nice colonies of Purple Digitata

1 Large colony of Blue Digitata

1 Green Digitata

1 Orange Digitata

4 Orange Acans (Growout, Sorry)

Nice Large Orange Monti Cap

30+ head Purple Lord Acans

2 Orange Setosta pieces

and the list will continue the rest of the day.(sad)

The torts and milli's seem to be doing ok for the time being but I have a feeling that I will be selling them off in the next few days and breaking this tank down or just making it fish only. Too depressing loosing all of this so fast.

OH MAN, I am so sorry for your loss. If you need anything let me know. I know how difficult this is but hang in there.

If you need a few of your zoas replaced for free let me know.

Same goes for me. If you need anything just let me know!

Thanks you guys. So far my Zoas are doing ok...(knock on wood)

What about high temperature and stray voltage? Both can cause massive die-offs like this.

Temp has been steady at 78 with the reef keeper.

Jesse kinda sounds like an alk spike to me. Where do you usualy run your alk at? How often are you testing your parameters? Just trying to help find out what happened. If its is an alk spike then your superman should bounce back after keeping the tank stable.

EDIT:what is your salinity? haha nm saw what it was :-)

Alk was sitting at 7.5 when I tested this morning and I typically keep it around 8 to 8.5 As far as salinity it was at 1.025 where I normally keep it at.

Sorry for you loss Jesse! With things turning white on ya sure sound like something with alk. I had swings in my 150 and had the same thing happen. My montis hated it but bounced back after time. Hang in there bud!!!

Thanks buddy. I was really looking forward to showing the tank off to you too. Now your welcome to come over and look at the skeletons...(sad)

Guarantee it has something to do with the dead fire fish... I mean I'm pretty positive it's not good to let it rot in the tank.. And again water changes can give false readings..

If its not that it's the wrath of the fish gods or something cause it sounds unexplainable..

If my clean up crew ate the fish I don't see how it would be the fish. I also used Prime to counter act the ammonia if it were an issue. I'm game for any suggestions at this point but I don't see how it could have been the fish with as may hermits etc I have in the tank that would have devoured him in seconds.