HELP

NoobtoSalt

It didn't die last night.. Lol it died before he bought his last fish. And ey 2 different opinions.. I mean I wouldn't go balls deep and reck everything but I would see if I could find him before I started' date=' idk we got two opinions no need to keep carrying it on. That's just what I'd do. I'd rather get it out and be careful with adjustments to the rock work then yeah. I'm not saying your wrong just stating what I'd do. Isn't that what the forums for? Stating opinions[/quote']

Who's to say i didn't do that? (scratch) just because i don't post my every move doesn't mean i didn't look for it. I'm pretty confident (99%) the fish was eaten by the clean up crew.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess my point was.. Would you leave a tang that died in a 150?

Comparison wise the fire fish would actually be bigger in the water volume.

I don't think thats entirely accurate. I believe this is a 29 bio cube (correct me if I'm wrong) so that means 5 of his fish in a 150. My tang could probably eat five of those fish in a go. LOL. That is an exaggeration of course but not by as much as you might think. Keep in mind also that the fish more than likely did not rot away since the CUC would easily have devoured him. Also I think that fish disappeared more than a week ago??? Could be wrong about how long he has been missing.

Jesse, I am so sorry to hear this. If there is anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.

I'm not sure I get your point?

Assuming its an excuse? What makes that okay? Cause my friend lost a baby dori that lodged itself in a rock before it died In his 150.. It to was a very small fish but he got it out.. It took time but laziness isn't a good enough reason to let a $100 fish get eatin by 50 cent hermits...

I think it's odd that ppl on this forum get mad when ppl cycle $2 fish.. But when a nice fish dies in a cycled tank it's okay to let it rot and get decomposed by scavengers... And then not find it to spike anything?

If that's not your problem then I'm wrong.. But obviously it's not good and the whole point is. WHY?

I mean it's a better chance it's that then the wrasse? If the wrasses slime coat affected anything then it wouldn't be a "reef-safe" fish.. Because its slime coat could harm your corals.

Also if it was okay to leave a dying fish in your tank there wouldn't be threads talking about a fish dying, causing an ammonia spike resulting in die off..

I don't understand how you are linking two different things here. The clean up crew does make sort work of any small fish that might die in a tank (I can vouch that Jesse has plenty of CUC) and is much less dangerous then tearing a tank apart stirring up the sand and causing a mini cycle. This is in no way like putting a fish through a cycle. Even if a fish is hardy enough to survive a cycle dosen't mean its the right way. The poor thing is subjected to toxic chemicals and goes though fishy hell when there are other ways to do this. I don't understand the connection here.

And yes I do say something if I see a tang in a tiny tank. Even if it is a nice tiny tank.

OK rant over (cussing) Sorry I'm not cussing I just always wanted to use that simley (flower)

That sucks bro. It seemed like you were trying really hard this time around. If it was my tank I would be looking for some toxic chem that maybe got into the tank. I dont think an alk swing would crash your whole system unless it was pretty harsh. I would do some large water changes, run some new crabon and sit back an see what makes it through this mess.

i didn't see a test for phosphates' date=' a spike can cause rtn pretty quickly.[/quote']

One of the few tests i don't have. I just got home from enjoying a few hours away from the house (watched the campaign, funny movie btw) and more stuff is white in the tank. I'm heading to Eugene tomorrow for the football game and will likely come home to a completely white tank. I lost my rics, and a few other corals in the past few hours but they were on their way out earlier in the day. I'm really hoping this is the end of the dying corals. Just never had this many corals die so fast, even when i had the bad batch of salt it didn't do this. Oh well part of the hobby i guess. I'm going to move over all of my zoas to my parents tank on Sunday to save them and whatever sps is left will be likely sold cheap.

that sucks. sorry that happened i couldnt even imagine, still trying to think of what happened, you do prime every time after water changes? or just after the helfrichi, is their a possibility anything is magically being leached??, i know its a stock tank other then lights, and for the mp10 i highly doubt any of those three have anything to do with it. any animals or kids that could have potentially got something in tank, this would be easier if you had a soapfish/boxfish or sea apple to figure the cause

that sucks. sorry that happened i couldnt even imagine' date=' still trying to think of what happened, you do prime every time after water changes? or just after the helfrichi, is their a possibility anything is magically being leached??, i know its a stock tank other then lights, and for the mp10 i highly doubt any of those three have anything to do with it. any animals or kids that could have potentially got something in tank, this would be easier if you had a soapfish/boxfish or sea apple to figure the cause[/quote']

The kids know better than to touch the tank without asking me. Even when I had tanks setup in the kids bedroom they never touched it so I would never expect them to, nor do I feel the need to ask them but I can understand why you would state that otherwise. I think Robert might be on to something with Phosphates. I'm not sure why all of a sudden it would start to leach but I will likely get my water tested somewhere with that test over the next few days. I'm not completely out of the hobby yet but as far as SPS goes and most corals I'm done for awhile. This was just too much too fast for me. When you put the work into a tank and see it waste away within a day or two it's way too depressing. I have had many offers to help me out with corals when I decide to get back in the swing of things and I will likely take many if not all of you up on the offer. I just need to figure this out and I have too much going on in life right now to deal with this type of catastrophe.

i wasnt trying to say your kids did it i was just making the case and in like 15 years when i have kids they better know the same and no touch tank without daddies permission. and i feel your loss 100% my big loss was fish and now i want alot but i dont trust a single one i refuse to get another fish without getting a propper qt up again

best of luck though after such a loss, and after taking a huge win with the slimer sucks to see it happen espicially after all the work. im sure itll eventually all get straightened out

Get ready for a big post again:

Jesse i got a purple haze monti frag and can frag you a superman monti if you plan to try again.

Thanks Randy. I think I'm going to take a bit of a back seat to SPS for a little while and see what the heck happened here. I'm close to giving up the tank completely but we will see over the next few days how I feel about it. I think alot of my anger postings are just being (sad) to see the tank die so fast. Just need time to relax and not stress about it for a few days and decide my next game plan.

by any chance did you get a new mili or acro lately? i cant remember which one but i have heard that if not acclimated properly can kill other corals

Nope, no new corals for a little while. I did have some acans in here but sold those off just recently.

I don't think thats entirely accurate. I believe this is a 29 bio cube (correct me if I'm wrong) so that means 5 of his fish in a 150. My tang could probably eat five of those fish in a go. LOL. That is an exaggeration of course but not by as much as you might think. Keep in mind also that the fish more than likely did not rot away since the CUC would easily have devoured him. Also I think that fish disappeared more than a week ago??? Could be wrong about how long he has been missing.

You are correct sir, it's a 29 biocube. (clap)

bummer ' date=' jess. good luck. but i am unsubscribing to this thread, to much politics for me[/quote']

I have no idea what your talking about Fred....(whistle)

That sucks bro. It seemed like you were trying really hard this time around. If it was my tank I would be looking for some toxic chem that maybe got into the tank. I dont think an alk swing would crash your whole system unless it was pretty harsh. I would do some large water changes' date=' run some new crabon and sit back an see what makes it through this mess.[/quote']

I thought I set this tank up to be a better setup than the rest but it obviously has it's faults too. I've done two large water changes over the past two days to try and help with it and added carbon again earlier today. I'm guessing it was just a little too late. I had carbon running until yesterday in the tank and I removed it for a day but the tank was already going downhill by then, just not as drastic as it happened today.

Jesse' date=' I am so sorry to hear this. [b']If there is anything I can do for you please don't hesitate to ask.[/b]

I don't understand how you are linking two different things here. The clean up crew does make sort work of any small fish that might die in a tank (I can vouch that Jesse has plenty of CUC) and is much less dangerous then tearing a tank apart stirring up the sand and causing a mini cycle. This is in no way like putting a fish through a cycle. Even if a fish is hardy enough to survive a cycle dosen't mean its the right way. The poor thing is subjected to toxic chemicals and goes though fishy hell when there are other ways to do this. I don't understand the connection here.

And yes I do say something if I see a tang in a tiny tank. Even if it is a nice tiny tank.

OK rant over (cussing) Sorry I'm not cussing I just always wanted to use that simley (flower)

Ok, I want you to make this all disappear and bring my corals back to life....(whistle)

You have such a potty mouth Thomas....(laugh)

Enjoy the rest of your night and give me a ring when your tank is stable. I got rics and acans with your name on them. Plus a few zoas if you want them.

Thank you again Heather. Your texts were very nice and helped me get through my stress stage earlier in the day today when I was sitting here watching my corals die..(sad)

i wasnt trying to say your kids did it i was just making the case and in like 15 years when i have kids they better know the same and no touch tank without daddies permission. and i feel your loss 100% my big loss was fish and now i want alot but i dont trust a single one i refuse to get another fish without getting a propper qt up again

best of luck though after such a loss, and after taking a huge win with the slimer sucks to see it happen espicially after all the work. im sure itll eventually all get straightened out

Oh I used to be even worse with fish. Just watch all of my build threads...(laugh)

The most expensive fish I ever lost was my achilles within 2 days in the 240. Cy was nice enough to hook me up though. and of course who could forget when I had marine velvet around Christmas time two years ago and it wiped my entire tank out (aprox. $500 worth of fish) and the only fish to survive the whole ordeal was my leopard wrasse, that now resides at Beth/Kim's place. This hobby sucks when things don't go your way, at least that's the biggest lesson I've learned over the past few years...(laugh)

On a side note, the slimmer and my red planet are both still alive, along with my superman milli, and a few other red and green millis in the tank. Not sure how those ones were able to survive whatever this was and not the rest but hey, no loss is good for me.

The sunset monti has a white base now with all of it's polyps out. the superman monti is all but gone, and two of my chalices are skeletons right now along with a bunch of white sticks. I will dig into this more tomorrow but all of the sps pieces that I have left show no sign of problems like the others did so maybe I'm at the end of this crash. I plan to do another water change tomorrow when I tear the tank apart to get the skeletons out.

The sunset monti has a white base now with all of it's polyps out. the superman monti is all but gone' date=' and two of my chalices are skeletons right now along with a bunch of white sticks. I will dig into this more tomorrow but all of the sps pieces that I have left show no sign of problems like the others did so maybe I'm at the end of this crash. I plan to do another water change tomorrow when I tear the tank apart to get the skeletons out.[/quote']

I'd hold off taking anything out if you see polyps. I've had some crazy comebacks, you just never know sometimes. I've got a sunset growing in my LED tank now, I can frag you some in a few months if it grows out nice.

Although, a super zoa dominated tank is always sweet and you do love your zoas! (dancing)

Can't see the picture on my phone but when i got home tonight my tank had a huge algea bloom so pretty confident it was a phosphate issue at this point. Nothing was added to the tank so I'm guessing the Sandbed got kicked up by the fish and caused it. Will likely be getting gfo to help with it

This is a really unfortunate thing to happen, the tank looked incredible! It's always something in this hobby, either the fish are going crazy with ich, of an algae boom, or levels go crazy over night and a ton of corals die. I tried my best with my new setup and experience from my old setups running into issues to have everything I could afford to keep things like this from happening, but with containing nature in our living rooms its hard to maintain it to near perfection.