Marine Velvet LR

Toby Flenderson

A couple of months ago there was a guy who was selling his tank because a marine velvet outbreak wiped his fish. Some of you will remember he was giving great deals. He gave me a bunch of his live rock and I really want to use some of it. I circulated in freshwater buckets for a week changing the water a couple times a day. Then I set it out on my deck and it has been baking there for a month. It's all white now and perfectly dry. Would I be crazy to put a couple pieces in my sump and start cycling them?(scary)

i f i didnt have a copper system to put the rock in i would try a formalin/formaldehyde treatment or a small dose of bleach to treat the rock then resoak prior ro use for peace of mind.theoreticaly the parasite should already be gone.i am with noob as i have lost a couple systems do to such diseases. safe than sorry.

just my two cents.

Do you know for sure he never used medication that contained copper with the rock he gave you? The recommended time for leaving a tank with rock and coral fallow after an outbreak is 4-6 week. If you left this dry for a month I would think it would be fine. Again, unless you know for sure about the copper I would not use it in anything other than a fowlr tank.

Mr Saltwter tank recently went through this same thing and made a few you tube posts about it sorry I dont have a link for you I am not that internets savey =)

That's funny you say that about mr. Saltwater. I watched that video and emailed him. Mark wrote me right back and had this to say. (This was after one week of drying).

"To be 100% sure, you can bleach the rock (1 cup bleach per 10g). *That will kill anything on the rock.*

What you've done already will likely kill it but bleach will be a sure thing" mark Callahan

I just have a mental block against putting bleach in my aquarium.