Am i the only one?

PowderBlue

If they want my cash I'm not the one who has to prove trust. Don't care about their past business practices and I don't care how annoying other customers are I'm not them and all I did was walk in w/ a friend to see the store. If they don't want to treat me right I am more than happy to take my money else where. Wasn't planing on announcing this until it was up and running but well I am opening my own store and you can all be as annoying as you feel like being....I will treat every customer I do business w/ as a member of my family because you will be doing me the favor of bringing me your business when you could take it else where and to me that's a big thing. I'll be compelled to treat every customer as if their doing me a favor. In this economy they are. Even if I'm on the phone w/ a wholesaler I can at least say Hello!!

I'll make the road trip to see your store!!! :) My usual shop is not actually UPSCALES so I hope you don't think I'm just jumping to defend them. I have spent enough time in my usual shop and other shops to see both sides; I'm actually really happy when I get ignored because I'm usually only looking. LOL.

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the thing. They have Sps that you can't find at any retail store or online. Infact there are Sps corals they have single handily made into a house hold name.

That's not final if they can grow it and you can keep it than their not the only ones who can do it and I don't care if they don't respect who pay their bills

Oh I bet I could they are not the only smart poeple on this planet their just the ones who were in the right place at the right time. I didn't see anything special about the store when I went in except how bad their customer service was and I'm sorry I live in today not 15 years ago.

You gotta give credit to the guy who gave us the Blue Oregon Tort (drooler)

th_214580f9.jpg

P.S. Did you see the sps in the first display tank, none of the other shops have growth like that!!! You may not like him but the man knows how to grow coral, no doubt about that.

th_214580f9.jpg

P.S. Did you see the sps in the first display tank, none of the other shops have growth like that!!! You may not like him but the man knows how to grow coral, no doubt about that.

No I don't and on behalf of all the reefers out there working on a budget, I'd like to state that stupid is still stupid even w/ a big bank. We who choose to be part of this hobby have an obligation to do right by the reef. I am a big trader and I pay as well. I see many of you who have endless cash and are still the most irresponsible poeple I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Have your big bank kill what you can and believe that you are good to our planet, but your lying to yourself. You think that the cash you spend is what matters!! It's not. What does matter is what you contribute to the reef in the years to come. Oh and being in the right place in no way means he made the tort. Nature made it and you just dropped 10 IQ points trying to give that A** the credit nature deserves

th_214580f9.jpg

After reading you PS you dropped another 10 IQ points in my book. Thank god your not teaching my kids.

Just tbh Im more happy with the corals I've picked up from other forum members than any LFS. Cheaper and the best pieces. I also like online stores a lot.

Have you ever heard of the Oregon tort? Do you know why they call It the Oregon tort? It is possibly the bluest, nicest looking tort in the hobby. There's a cool story behind that coral that involves upscales.

(peace) I think maybe we could agree to disagree on upscales some love it some hate it some have never been there. But we all as a club should be striving to get along with each other and sharing information to further our hobby. I think it is time for a group hug (highfive)

(peace) I think maybe we could agree to disagree on upscales some love it some hate it some have never been there. But we all as a club should be striving to get along with each other and sharing information to further our hobby. I think it is time for a group hug (highfive)

+1 to that, this is getting out of hand.

No I don't and on behalf of all the reefers out there working on a budget' date=' I'd like to state that stupid is still stupid even w/ a big bank. We who choose to be part of this hobby have an obligation to do right by the reef. I am a big trader and I pay as well. I see many of you who have endless cash and are still the most irresponsible poeple I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. Have your big bank kill what you can and believe that you are good to our planet, but your lying to yourself. You think that the cash you spend is what matters!! It's not. What does matter is what you contribute to the reef in the years to come. Oh and being in the right place in no way means he made the tort. Nature made it and you just dropped 10 IQ points trying to give that A** the credit nature deserves[/quote']

Yup that's me the BIG spender, LOL. (crazy)

Have you noticed how ironic it is that you are complaining about how rude a successful shopkeeper is, when you are incredibly rude yourself???

Whoa!! This is not where I intended this to go guys!! I simply was saying I wish people would do more research and quit bickering and beating up shop owners on price lol. While i agree with a lot of valid points being brought up, let's try to keep it respectful. Kim makes valid points about a way a business should be run, but let's all agree to disagree!!

Have you noticed how ironic it is that you are complaining about how rude a successful shopkeeper is, when you are incredibly rude yourself???

Absolutely!

Intrigued by the name of the thread, I took a look and read it. Whatever it was that pissed Kimberlee off at Upscales, perhaps she can turn it into something positive and apply that to her own shop. However, to repetitively bash them like she has, and then to bash their customers for an opposing viewpoint, seems, at least to me, very unprofessional and reflects an underlying attitude which I personally wouldn't reward with my business. Just sayin'.

I think its fun to haggle with Garrett at TPA mostly to just give him crap, but I agree however this hobbie is not cheap and I don't think people realize this until its too late. However there is such a thing where haggling turns into someone low balling and getting angry their deal was not taken

LMAO- almost 24 hours since this thread started. Over a 1000 views and nearly 100 posts.

These pop ip about every 6 months and the conclusion is always the same-we all will have a different experiance in the very same store. I frequent a store people wont shop at, others frequent a store I wont shop at. We all have different experiances and if the store is rude to you maybe they are having an off day or maybe you deserve it dont know, dont care

I will say I've spoke to all shop owners, some that are still in business and some that are out of business and the consensus is they will be around (hopefully) when most of the people here give up and move on and if you have a bad experiance or dont like them shop somwpewhere else, they will most likely appreciate not seeing your face and have their name, shop, reputation drug through the mud becuase you had a bad experiance.

Keep your money, keep your opinion (whether is justified, biased, jaded, or slanted) and piss off if you dont want to shop there.

Kimberlee I really hope you have done your homework if you are truly considering opening a reef store. I did not catch what business you are opening but if its a reef store good luck and I mean that sincerely, you'll need it in this region.

Well time to cut some frags to sell and undercut the LFS-

Just kidding but I hope you see the irony-this forum and its frag sales hurt stores that sell the same stuff

Excuse any mispellings, Ipads(puke)

I should get an award for being thread jacked lol! I started out complaining about people who jump into this hobby with no clue and kill tons of fish, ad the people who want to offer someone (lfs owner) or even people like re run and I who buy and sell stuff a lot half of what they or we are asking. But hey 1000 views in a day is pretty legit haha

I like how SWF has a sign up that says if prices are negotiated, then no 14 day guarantee. I never negotiate prices at retail shops, but I think that is a fair approach for someone who wants too.

This isn't a cheap hobby, but it is funny how people spend thousands of dollars on their equipment and want to knock $10 off a $20 fish. For me it is about the quality and health of the livestock. If a LFS or online store has nice healthy fish, then it really doesn't matter what they cost. I would absolutely pay double or triple the cost if I know the long term survival is guaranteed. (I don't want my money back if it dies, i just want to know that it will live for an extended period of time)

I think there is a big market for more Diver's Den types of stores, where the fish are properly acclimated, treated for parasites and proven eaters before they are sold. I know this isn't practical for most LFS, but there is a need for this type of business. How many of us have purchased fish that have been bagged and shipped 2-3x within the week, to only have them perish a few days or weeks later? How many have bought fish that are infested with parasites like flukes or ich and nuked the entire rest of the tank, because we didn't QT at all or didnt QT long enough? I have certainly made these mistakes. It is frustrating for me to buy new livestock because their is a high probability that the fish will not survive even if I do everything correctly.

I like how SWF has a sign up that says if prices are negotiated, then no 14 day guarantee. I never negotiate prices at retail shops, but I think that is a fair approach for someone who wants too.

This isn't a cheap hobby, but it is funny how people spend thousands of dollars on their equipment and want to knock $10 off a $20 fish. For me it is about the quality and health of the livestock. If a LFS or online store has nice healthy fish, then it really doesn't matter what they cost. I would absolutely pay double or triple the cost if I know the long term survival is guaranteed. (I don't want my money back if it dies, i just want to know that it will live for an extended period of time)

I think there is a big market for more Diver's Den types of stores, where the fish are properly acclimated, treated for parasites and proven eaters before they are sold. I know this isn't practical for most LFS, but there is a need for this type of business. How many of us have purchased fish that have been bagged and shipped 2-3x within the week, to only have them perish a few days or weeks later? How many have bought fish that are infested with parasites like flukes or ich and nuked the entire rest of the tank, because we didn't QT at all or didnt QT long enough? I have certainly made these mistakes. It is frustrating for me to buy new livestock because their is a high probability that the fish will not survive even if I do everything correctly.

Very valid about the buying of fish and it nuking our tank even if we try to qt them and don't do it long enough.

Actually I am one of the nicest poeple you'll ever meet, until some one gives credit where it's not due. I'm sorry they didn't give us the Oregon Tort mother nature did and that's who I'll give credit too. Here's there credit (hey cool name).

Have you ever heard of the Oregon tort? Do you know why they call It the Oregon tort? It is possibly the bluest' date=' nicest looking tort in the hobby. There's a cool story behind that coral that involves upscales.[/quote']

Dude you seriously annoy me.. Why do you keep quoting my posts? Have I ear of an Oregon tort? No lol I've NEVER heard of this fascinating blue thing you talk about what is it kriz2fer? Btw your name is soooo creative Travis make that for you?

Yes I've heard of a tort AND A LOT OF PPL OWN THEM, that's cool that Travis helped, AGAIN I've said NOTHING bad about the dudes coral besides his 3or 40 aren't that great and his fish are overpriced he has scopas tangs at $35 when they were at $25 the week before. Inflation? Must be from all that sps hes putting in his red sea max, but it's cool cause he grows sps right? What does that have to do with overpricing a fish?

Anything? Okay he's a pioneer so is Steve tyree. In all reality Travis can grow coral would his shop still be open in Florida? Probably not.. So get off your high horse. Do you even know Travis or do you just always talk this high about him?

And stop quoting me I'm done with this thread cause it's pointless..

I enjoy this thread cause were all angry. And now its all about how we do love or hate Upscales. Why did it come to this haha, oh and kim calm down their would never be an oppurtunity to any lfs in oregon if there wasnt 20 plus years reliability in the same brick and mortar store to build up the hobby to begin with. So you opening your own store is badically credit to them, someone HAS to be the OTHER guy