Am i the only one?

PowderBlue

Agreed, every store has ich whether you see it or not. QT your fish!!! Sometimes ya get lucky, sometimes ya loose 500 dollars in fish... Juss sayin

Noob I'll shoot you those measurements once I get home in a pm. Out at dinner with the fam

Not sure what your talking about but ok... pm? Did i ask for something? (scratch)

I'm getting too old..(laugh)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just saying woody doesnt sell if your params arent right.

and i wasnt saying what he does im just saying the way his plumbing is set up he does have the best possibility to cure ich ifn he actually let it go fallow for 8 weeks.

meaning... he wouldnt have to shut his whole system down to cure.

Be careful here. No store will or can let their systems go fallow for 8 - 12 weeks. They have to have the fish in those tanks to pay the rent. Plus they may not even know if a fish has introduced the parisite in to their tanks. A fish comes in on Monday and sells on Tuesday, when did they have a chance to see if it had ICH? It can take a long time to show symptoms of a parisite.

I have been lucky and have not been doing the QT (scary). But I should be as well as every one else. You never know what your fish has been exposed to in the wild / catchers tanks / shipment tanks / whole sellers tanks / fish store tanks.

+1 for no whining about the hobby. I am so-so on bartering. These stores need the money. Personally I have always been offered discounts, I dont usually ask, but I also spend quite a bit of money. Retailers will almost never barter with wholesalers. I dont barter with mcdonalds or safeway. I dont feel comfortable using a businesses smaller, more personal enviornment, to get deals. You want mom and pop stores, not petcos, you have to support them....

I am also not down with blaming LFS for ich...You saw the fish, you bought the fish, you added it to your tank. They didnt give you ich (You doesnt mean anyone in particular, just in general) Ich happens...

thanks for the reality. lol definitly agreeing with your post.

he might have a lot of sps but i dont see anything CRAZY, also its all from his cube.

but his ORA clams that sold within the week were amazing.

Theres a legacy behind that store that you don't know about. Its not what he has at the moment it what his store has been doing for the past 15 years. Fish are fish no one cares about fish, any lfs can get any fish and some have ick and some dont, but the thing he did with sps not to many stores can say that.

Theres a legacy behind that store that you don't know about. Its not what he has at the moment it what his store has been doing for the past 15 years. Fish are fish no one cares about fish' date=' any lfs can get any fish and some have ick and some dont, but the thing he did with sps not to many stores can say that.[/quote']

Why do you keep saying I don't know.... My roommate picked up 3 sps frags today from upscales I go there all the time...

Not gonna mention names but some shops charge double what I could pay online with free shipping. I'm talking 80 bucks a bucket of salt I could get for 40 with free shipping on a 40lb box.... Kinda strange...

Things are cheaper online??? LOL sorry I couldn't resist. I guess If you don't need their advice or enjoy looking at their aquariums you don't need their salt. Personally I really appreciate having a store to spend some time in and people to ask advice, so I buy the salt. :)

Do you know any history of upscales? They have been in this hobby selling fish and corals longer then some people in this site have been alive. They have made some o the biggest advances in this hobby that 90% of the lfs you see can't say. most of the lfs in Oregon look up to Travis as he has pioneer Sps keeping in Oregon. Upscale is probably the most recognized reef store to ever come out of oregon. If any in this hobby know anythings about anything it's upscales.

They may know the hobby, but their customer service is crap and I'm sorry if they don't greet a customer with in a minute of that customer entering a store( even if it is just hi, to recognize the person who walked in) well I'm taking my money else where. I don't even care what you all think about that train of thought. I've worked many customer service jobs and it's important to do this. They are rude and in this day and age I don't need them to educate me I have google and can think for my self, so if I don't need them for knowledge and their rude why would I spend money there? Now we add high prices? I'll go to the person setting the bar for good customer service and doing the best they can to educate us w/ good prices to top it off. Thx TPA!!!

Theres a legacy behind that store that you don't know about. Its not what he has at the moment it what his store has been doing for the past 15 years. Fish are fish no one cares about fish' date=' any lfs can get any fish and some have ick and some dont, but the thing he did with sps not to many stores can say that.[/quote']

Really give me a crack at it and I'll do as good w/ sps and tell you what I'll treat every customer w/ the same curtsy I expect to be treated w/. Once they forget what customer service is they don't count as much.

Oh and so far in the 2 1/2 years I've been in this hobby the only legacy I've heard about is their rudeness!!

I know Travis is a pioneer in sps, but what's with the fish bashing? LOL. Not all LFS are created equal when it comes to coral OR fish. :)

Oh and so far in the 2 1/2 years I've been in this hobby the only legacy I've heard about is their rudeness!!

I was also on the same page kimberlee, until I met Tom. He is extremely nice and knowledgable. I never thought I'd say this but even Travis has been nice when I've been in there the last few times. I once said I'd never go back in there and then I met Tom. But I would fully understand why someone would not go back.

They may know the hobby' date=' but their customer service is crap and I'm sorry if they don't greet a customer with in a minute of that customer entering a store( even if it is just hi, to recognize the person who walked in) well I'm taking my money else where. I don't even care what you all think about that train of thought. I've worked many customer service jobs and it's important to do this. They are rude and in this day and age I don't need them to educate me I have google and can think for my self, so if I don't need them for knowledge and their rude why would I spend money there? Now we add high prices? I'll go to the person setting the bar for good customer service and doing the best they can to educate us w/ good prices to top it off. Thx TPA!!![/quote']

before all of these lfs got there own store, who do you think they went to buy there corals from? upscales most likely

I had a tank back in 2003 and there wasnt many lfs back then that are around still. those same cutomers that shopped at upscales in those days now have there own stores and are doing great but we all know that most of this started from about 3 main store in the portland area.

I know Travis is a pioneer in sps' date=' but what's with the fish bashing? LOL. Not all LFS are created equal when it comes to coral OR fish. :)[/quote']

I'm not bashing fish but any lfs can order in nice rare fish. Not any lfs can do what they did with corals.

Really give me a crack at it and I'll do as good w/ sps and tell you what I'll treat every customer w/ the same curtsy I expect to be treated w/. Once they forget what customer service is they don't count as much.

Honestly, if you went back in time fifteen years I doubt you could do as well with SPS as Travis did. I say this because fifteen years ago hardly anyone did well with sps. As far as not being treated well I can totally understand where you are coming from but one thing I've learned from staring at tanks overhearing customers is that they have to deal with some of the most annoying people imaginable. I am in no way implying you fall into this category, I'm only saying that you have to earn their trust before they are going to fall over themselves to help you. I really like Garret and maybe he will become the exception to the rule, but only time will tell if he too will get tired of greeting each new face like they are a valuable customer after years and years of people asking advice only to then go home and shop online.

Honestly' date=' if you went back in time fifteen years I doubt you could do as well with SPS as Travis did. I say this because fifteen years ago hardly anyone did well with sps. As far as not being treated well I can totally understand where you are coming from but one thing I've learned from staring at tanks overhearing customers is that they have to deal with some of the most annoying people imaginable. I am in no way implying you fall into this category, I'm only saying that you have to earn their trust before they are going to fall over themselves to help you. I really like Garret and maybe he will become the exception to the rule, but only time will tell if he too will get tired of greeting each new face like they are a valuable customer after years and years of people asking advice only to then go home and shop online.[/quote']

That was a really description and explaination of their service. It too bad though.

Honestly' date=' if you went back in time fifteen years I doubt you could do as well with SPS as Travis did. I say this because fifteen years ago hardly anyone did well with sps. As far as not being treated well I can totally understand where you are coming from but one thing I've learned from staring at tanks overhearing customers is that they have to deal with some of the most annoying people imaginable. I am in no way implying you fall into this category, I'm only saying that you have to earn their trust before they are going to fall over themselves to help you. I really like Garret and maybe he will become the exception to the rule, but only time will tell if he too will get tired of greeting each new face like they are a valuable customer after years and years of people asking advice only to then go home and shop online.[/quote']

There still the pinnacle of sps in oregon. I was at seamax last year all the way in seattle and I can remember a bunch of vendors from all over the west coast and they were even talking about upscales.

If they want my cash I'm not the one who has to prove trust. Don't care about their past business practices and I don't care how annoying other customers are I'm not them and all I did was walk in w/ a friend to see the store. If they don't want to treat me right I am more than happy to take my money else where. Wasn't planing on announcing this until it was up and running but well I am opening my own store and you can all be as annoying as you feel like being....I will treat every customer I do business w/ as a member of my family because you will be doing me the favor of bringing me your business when you could take it else where and to me that's a big thing. I'll be compelled to treat every customer as if their doing me a favor. In this economy they are. Even if I'm on the phone w/ a wholesaler I can at least say Hello!!

There still the pinnacle of sps in oregon. I was at seamax last year all the way in seattle and I can remember a bunch of vendors from all over the west coast and they were even talking about upscales.

I'll do better watch. I can buy a pair of shoes or anything at a hundred stores, I go to the stores I do because they recognize that it's me who puts food on their table and by no means am I asking them to fall to their knees but today I expect good service and if they can't give it like some one pointed out online is cheaper!!! Online isn't personal though. When I go to a LFS I expect to be treated like person, not a bank. If I don't care about the customer service I might as well buy online.

Oh I bet I could they are not the only smart poeple on this planet their just the ones who were in the right place at the right time. I didn't see anything special about the store when I went in except how bad their customer service was and I'm sorry I live in today not 15 years ago.