Am i the only one?

PowderBlue

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I agree on the price thing I would be more willing to buy things if they are clearly marked as to what they cost that is my biggest complaint not being able to tell how much things cost and usually if I cant tel I dont inquire I just pass it up. If i walked in and the coral I was looking at was clearly marked with a price even if it was a little steep I would buy it but as is almost never buy corals from shops because I dont know how much they are. How ever fellow reefers on this site have very clearly marked prices and is where I buy 90% of my live stock =)

And on that note I'd like to thank you for your business Jeramy :p

Fanta seas and upscales have marked prices everytime I'm In there but those are the only places I tend to go.

I've only been to Upscales once but I had to ask for quite a few prices when I was there that time. Maybe it has changed since then. Honnestly I don't gripe too much on asking a price, the only thing that's tough is when you ask and they don't know either...(scratch) Then it becomes a guessing game on the price which if it's their product they should know, not play a game of "what would you pay". I'm not saying it was that way at Upscales but other shops have definitely done that and still try to do business that way.

Yeah I agree on the price thing I would be more willing to buy things if they are clearly marked as to what they cost that is my biggest complaint not being able to tell how much things cost and usually if I cant tel I dont inquire I just pass it up. If i walked in and the coral I was looking at was clearly marked with a price even if it was a little steep I would buy it but as is almost never buy corals from shops because I dont know how much they are. How ever fellow reefers on this site have very clearly marked prices and is where I buy 90% of my live stock =)

+1 not having a price clearly marked invites haggling..which inturn can ruin the shoppong expeirance = lack of repeat business

Yeah I am +1 on bartering. Cause I know some LFS (not gonna mention who) have such high prices it's vice versa... They don't sell the fish. An I feel it's worse to have a fish stuck in a 40breeder all it's life til it dies.. (cough) (cough) upscales...

On the other hand I like their dry goods prices :)

Do you know any history of upscales? They have been in this hobby selling fish and corals longer then some people in this site have been alive. They have made some o the biggest advances in this hobby that 90% of the lfs you see can't say. most of the lfs in Oregon look up to Travis as he has pioneer Sps keeping in Oregon. Upscale is probably the most recognized reef store to ever come out of oregon. If any in this hobby know anythings about anything it's upscales.

travis is a boss, and i love coming in and talking to tom. doesnt mean they arent overpriced? lol and i know he has been up for 20+ years. him and woody have been around the longest doesnt mean he hasnt overpriced things and instead of selling them they died...... golden puffer, queen trigger, i guarentee the next is the rhino as ive seen multiple rhinopias at fantaseas and OIAB for cheaper.. and did i say they dont know anything about the hobby? did i state that they havent been a pioneer??

nope you can tell travis makes most his money off dry goods as thats where most of his sales are from.. but thanks for your opinion.

p.s. i go to upscales more than any other store... and always will as they have cut me deals. but that doesnt mean hes never overpriced fish.

They have been in this hobby selling fish and corals longer then some people in this site have been alive.
Theyre old brain was/is older then me ha the 220 was older then me too obviously. Theyre basically the only store i go to and have provided alot of help espicially tom, hes a great guy. Travis does mark up his fish though in my opinion. Most of the livestock is of quality though, and speaking on haggling someone should offer him 300 for the rhino if i had the cash itd be mine ha (nutty) i enjoy going their just to chat reef and look what they get in week to week

travis is a boss, and i love coming in and talking to tom. doesnt mean they arent overpriced? lol and i know he has been up for 20+ years. him and woody have been around the longest doesnt mean he hasnt overpriced things and instead of selling them they died...... golden puffer, queen trigger, i guarentee the next is the rhino as ive seen multiple rhinopias at fantaseas and OIAB for cheaper.. and did i say they dont know anything about the hobby? did i state that they havent been a pioneer??

nope you can tell travis makes most his money off dry goods as thats where most of his sales are from.. but thanks for your opinion.

p.s. i go to upscales more than any other store... and always will as they have cut me deals. but that doesnt mean hes never overpriced fish.

I'm sorry but woody dosen't hold a candle to what upscales has done with sps. They are in a whole other class as far is corals. Woody is a great guy and most the lfs are but they don't have what upscales has.

I'm sorry but woody dosen't hold a candle to what upscales has done with sps. They are in a whole other class as far is corals. Woody is a great guy and most the lfs are but they don't have what upscales has.

Agreed Travis has incredible coral. He has led the coral game forever in Portland.

I'm totally in agreement about posting prices. I'd love to even know the names of what I'm looking at, since I'm a relative newbie.

I think this thread has actually provided some good feedback for the local stores. If I owned a shop, I'd certainly look at this and take it to heart.

again did i say that? or are you just going to take my posts out of context??

i said woody and travis have been around the longest.. didnt say anything about either being better than eachother..

and i know one thing woody has is the best ich free system.

travis does have countless amounts of sps though. and a lot nicer corals.

I love the corals Travis has in his show tanks but I was in last week and I thought the sps selection for sale was kind of boring and ordinary. Maybe it was between orders or somthing. Just saying

thanks for the reality. lol definitly agreeing with your post.

he might have a lot of sps but i dont see anything CRAZY, also its all from his cube.

but his ORA clams that sold within the week were amazing.

I'm totally in agreement about posting prices. I'd love to even know the names of what I'm looking at, since I'm a relative newbie.

I think this thread has actually provided some good feedback for the local stores. If I owned a shop, I'd certainly look at this and take it to heart.

Yea that was difficult for me too in the beginning. I'd walk in ooooooh look at that?! Wife would ask what is it? Me... Not a clue lol looks expensive tho! In Patrick's (salt water fanta seas) coral tank

He numbers them, and then has a sheet that tells you what they are and price. Kind of nice to have for anyone. Especially ones new to the hobby.

again did i say that? or are you just going to take my posts out of context??

i said woody and travis have been around the longest.. didnt say anything about either being better than eachother..

and i know one thing woody has is the best ich free system.

travis does have countless amounts of sps though. and a lot nicer corals.

I would have to disagree with the best ich free system. Don't let his tanks fool you, he's got ich in those tanks just like everyone else in town.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

except he puts NFS, ive seen in multiple times and the reason im saying that is every couple of tanks has a sump, so in realization none of the other systems can get ich, only the two plumbed together.. unlike other systems in some stores that have one or two systems plumbed together.

how can you say that isnt more affective and easier to treat?

except he puts NFS, ive seen in multiple times and the reason im saying that is every couple of tanks has a sump, so in realization none of the other systems can get ich, only the two plumbed together.. unlike other systems in some stores that have one or two systems plumbed together.

how can you say that isnt more affective and easier to treat?

I didn't say that, just said it's not the best ich free. Kind of a silly debate at this point. He has ich in his tanks just like every other shop. Putting nfs doesn't prevent the fish from getting ich and he waits till it's not visible like all other shops and then sells it. You can't expect a lfs to hold onto a fish for 8 weeks in an ich free environment. They would go out of business way too fast

I didn't say that, just said it's not the best ich free. Kind of a silly debate at this point. He has ich in his tanks just like every other shop. Putting nfs doesn't prevent the fish from getting ich and he waits till it's not visible like all other shops and then sells it. You can't expect a lfs to hold onto a fish for 8 weeks in an ich free environment. They would go out of business way too fast

Agreed, every store has ich whether you see it or not. QT your fish!!! Sometimes ya get lucky, sometimes ya loose 500 dollars in fish... Juss sayin

Noob I'll shoot you those measurements once I get home in a pm. Out at dinner with the fam