How Many Sol's

Toby Flenderson

Do you think 2x 24 bulb units would be enough? It would be nice to go with 4 drivers enstead of 6.

You could still run 4 drivers which would be how I would run them. 1 driver on one fxture runs a parallel string of 24 RB while the other driver runs the 12 high noon. The one with the 12 high noon could even handle a few more LEDs say 1 red and 2 green.

I know they also carry cases/housings for them now to make them appealing to the eye. IMHO I think that config would blow any off the shelf unit away. You could even cut back a few RB and add a couple blues and violet.

I'm getting ready to add 2 green and 2 red on each of the 24" 60 bulb units I got.

I think rhe SOL work ok, but you need at least 3 maybe 4 to get what you could in 2 18" builds. And with the DIY, you can change the spectrum when ever ya want.

I agree' date=' I've been to the reef led site a lot and I get a bit overwhelmed with all the different types of LEDs and different packages. Premium, Phoenix, Plutus, xre...ect.... BTW I stopped by the sunlight supply sale at upscales and there are deals to be had.[/quote']

It can be overwhelming- IME the premiums are the way to go if you dont mind a little work (soldering- to keep it less$ ) the phoenix kits are nice but for the same money you can build a nice 36 bulb premium.

I almost built one more unit for my frag tank but am working a trade with someone for a chinese unit thats going to dimmable, I know but hey its for zoas so who cares LOL.

I was going to get the 18" fixture with 24 RB and 2 meanwell drivers with the carlco optics. You can get the fans at frys and a 4 pack runs like 15.00 and 2 power supplies from the goodwill for 2-4 dollars, if you have some old cell phone chargers use them.

Then from the DIY components the XP-G R5 with the Carlco ripple wide optics - again maybe grab a couple greens and reds, you could add up to 3 LEDS on the one driver that will run the R5's.

Also I thought about swapping out maybe 5 of the RB (from the intial 24 as part of the kit) for violet (3) and 2 blues-the blues and violets would be an add on on the DIY component section

Then add a meanwell 60-48D which will run the 12 R5's and the 2 greens and 1 red (if you decide to add red and green)

So when you are done you got a 39 bulb unit with 2 drivers and all using the carlco optics.

If any of that made senseDOH!

I need to open up another window and look at the post side by side with the led site but yeah it makes sense. Thanks for that. I think it's time to fill my virtual shopping cart. I think I will probably go with the rapid led controller unless reef led makes one.

I just did the same and it came in at 388.00 buy thats with adding the inventronics, Like I mentioned Bill would swap one of the meanwells and maybe charge a few extra bucks for the potentiometer. Radio shack sells adjustable wal warts you can adjust from 1.5 volts to 12 volts, instant "cheap" dimmer, and you can use it to run all the Royal Blues

Happy to chat with you about over the phone some time too-getting ready to head out to Bday party now, got a feeling the head will be hurting tomorrowDOH!

Btw your about to hit 4' date='000 posts. Crazy!(rock2)[/quote']

LMAO, I think 3700 where in my first year, I used to post much more in the past(nono)

I picked up 4 Sols yesterday. I dont really have time for the DIY, but it is very intriguing. 4 Sols probably won't be enough for my new build, but I can add more later or a few Vegas. Or maybe I will find some time to play with some custom DIY setup to supplement the Sols. Having so many options is a good and bad thing. ;)

Nice! What are your tank dimensions? My original thought with getting 4 would be that I could size up my tank.

150 gallon 30"wide x 48"long x 24" tall.

New tank will be roughly 36"x 72"x 28". I haven't finalized the size yet. Wanted to go 60"x60"x24" but wife thought that was too large.

Allright, I'm about to order and I'm going with the DIY kit. I'm getting a combination order, most from rapid led but the 18" heatsinks will be from reef led lights. Rapid has strange narrow sizes to there sinks. I was originally going to use my reefkeeper to control the lights but then I would have to get two ALC modules for $90 a pop and have to deal with digital aquatics support.(nono) So I'm going to use the rapid led controller which means I have to get the drivers from them with the kit. So I went with 2x of the 36 led premium kits (includes the 6 meanwell drivers) plus I got 4 green 4 red and 4 uv purple to play around with. I'm planning on switching hoods over the tank to a shorter one. The new lights will possibly sit on top of the canopy. Just a couple questions. I was planning on getting 60 degree optics but maybe I should get 80 for more spread? I'm a bit lost there. Also does any body have a height off the water line suggestion? 72 LED's should be a hell of a lot of light for my 90 gallon but will allow me to easily upgrade to a larger tank down the road too.:D im planning of posting pictures of the build as well, should be fun.

Allright' date=' I'm about to order and I'm going with the DIY kit. I'm getting a combination order, most from rapid led but the 18" heatsinks will be from reef led lights. Rapid has strange narrow sizes to there sinks. I was originally going to use my reefkeeper to control the lights but then I would have to get two ALC modules for $90 a pop and have to deal with digital aquatics support.(nono) So I'm going to use the rapid led controller which means I have to get the drivers from them with the kit. So I went with 2x of the 36 led premium kits (includes the 6 meanwell drivers) plus I got 4 green 4 red and 4 uv purple to play around with. I'm planning on switching hoods over the tank to a shorter one. The new lights will possibly sit on top of the canopy. Just a couple questions. I was planning on getting 60 degree optics but maybe I should get 80 for more spread? I'm a bit lost there. Also does any body have a height off the water line suggestion? 72 LED's should be a hell of a lot of light for my 90 gallon but will allow me to easily upgrade to a larger tank down the road too.:D im planning of posting pictures of the build as well, should be fun.[/quote']

You can run at least two drivers on one port on the alc. I never had three to try it though. Glad you made the decision for the diy. I'm looking at adding some red, green, and violet to my kit soon myself. Nice to be able to do that with the diy, can't do it with the others.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

I'm running 2 black sol's on my 48x24x24 and 4 on my 96x24x24 and get nearly 1000 par with fixtures 12" above water. i've had to dial them down about 25% because they are too bright and burn coral. I mount mine lengthwise and get easily 24-36" coverage. a deeper tank front to back would definitely need more than a single unit per 24" square coverage.

I'm running 2 black sol's on my 48x24x24 and 4 on my 96x24x24 and get nearly 1000 par with fixtures 12" above water. i've had to dial them down about 25% because they are too bright and burn coral. I mount mine lengthwise and get easily 24-36" coverage. a deeper tank front to back would definitely need more than a single unit per 24" square coverage.

Well look who snuck back in.... Good to see you lurking still bud

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2