Frag Tank Algae

Toby Flenderson

So my frag tank has been going for a couple weeks now and I've got some crazy brown algae going on. I was just wondering if this is normal and will pass or if I need to start getting serious. Today I changed the light from 8 to 6 hours, added a herd of snails, checked phos level (0.0), coral in display and frag tank are doing great. This tank is plumbed in a loop with my 60 gallon sump and the display is a 90 gallon.

149A8F36-FE84-4034-AB78-666C4CABAA0B-14542-00000A9077B22050.jpg

F20306C2-502D-4EA9-8517-2E375EAE8404-14542-00000A9053051B70.jpg

It looks like your frag tank is doing exactly what it should be at this stage of the cycle. Just like with any aquarium, your frag tank is cycling. If it is plumbed in to your display, then you are just cycling the tank and equipment surfaces of the newly added frag tank. After the multiple types of bactia establish themselves, then you should start to move through the brown phase into the green phase, and then continue on through the cycle. I added sand to some of my tanks in the shop and sure enough, even though the tanks were all cycled, the sand still need to establish itself in the system and build up bacteria. It now has a nice brown diatom layer that should disapear shortly.

By the way, that tank looks mighty familiar ;)

I agree it looks like just part of the normal cycle process. You don't really even need to clean it off it should die off. I had problems with algae growth even with the black egg crate. MattV made me this nice custom made acrylic frag rack and I love it and it is much more resitant to algae growth.

DSC00725ARW.jpg