Kessil vs. ai nano ur opinion

SteveHash-fish20

Did you make them by buyin all parts seperate?? Or doing the rapidled' date=' stevesleds etc thing?[/quote']

Sorry I never saw this post, all my builds have came from reefledlights, they are the only ones I found that carried the heatsinkUSA in the 8.5" wide, rapids were all like 4" or somethin, great for smaller tanks but my build was a little larger so I needed the wider HS.

I spent quite a bit of time searching many places that sold components but reefledlights were they only ones I found that had all the components I needed without having to go to multiple sites.

Sorry for missing the Q

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry I never saw this post, all my builds have came from reefledlights, they are the only ones I found that carried the heatsinkUSA in the 8.5" wide, rapids were all like 4" or somethin, great for smaller tanks but my build was a little larger so I needed the wider HS.

I spent quite a bit of time searching many places that sold components but reefledlights were they only ones I found that had all the components I needed without having to go to multiple sites.

Sorry for missing the Q

No problem rnj and thanks again for the feedback

Steve- ok man so I did some research and honestly, I'm liking the a350w. Those kessil lights are amazing, and the reason I'm liking the a350w is because if I decide to upgrade tanks it will do great, its completely dimmable for white and blue. It would be manually but seems worth it. Thanks for peaking my interest in kessil

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Personally I wouldn't buy a kessil because you can easily DIY one for about $100. They are just a basic LED chip, which you can buy a 100w LED hybrid blue/white chip for about $70 on ebay, a dimmable driver for about $30, then all you need is a little heat sink. I know some of them you can use two drivers and control the whites and blues seperatley. If your not into DIY I suppose Kessil is your only choice, but most of the reviews on the A150 were saying the PAR readings were pretty horrible. With a rapidled or diy kit you can add different colors too, which really makes things pop more than just blue and white can. Also there was an article floating around saying that most LED fixtures are lacking red, which they found to be an important element in growth/color or something. Not exactly sure on the details but I picked a fixture with Red in it for that reason. Thats my 2 cents :P

This is what I was reading on different colors and spectral distribution:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/3/aafeature

I've read about pendants, the Orphek's seem to be the better choice but cost a lot more. I haven't found anything that says kessil has UV and infrared...

Plus this article really turned me off from pendants:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2012/1/aafeature

the par values are just not there

Also most users with biocubes are using 2...not just 1. I would much rather buy a Sol if i'm gonna spend anywhere into the $400+ range

Yeah I'm actually gonna look into these reef breeders I truly didn't kno about these I mean they are cheaper for my tank as well. Do they come with vevrything? Like to set up? Or do you have to buy your own like wire and clips to hang up the fixture

I was just reading around and the people with 29 gal biocubes were using two or the ones using a single always had to suppliment with stunners or something to get the spread. Personally, with the biocubes, I like them with the hood on, so I wouldn't want to have it with no hood and a pendant hanging way above it to get the spread. You really should look at noobtosalt (Jessie's) before buying, the rapidled kit is sweet. Or as you said in my thread, check out the reefbreeders units lol

It's the 96w one. All their fixtures are made up with similar mixes of colors so should be able to achieve good color mix. Since a biocube isn't as deep as mine you'd probably want the one with the 120 deg optics instead of the 90 like mine. They are even cheaper too, so thats nice lol!

The Kessil A350 is a better deal than (2 )A150s. I have an A350w and it covers a 40B pretty well at only 8-9 inches over the water. If I raised it up, it would have even better coverage. I'm sure it would provide more than enough light for a Biocube. I agree that the DIY are a good way to save some cash, but I haven't seen one yet that had the fit and finish of the Kessil. The Kessils look very nice and clean mounted over a tank. If you are going to hide it in a hood, then save the money and make a custom setup.

Yeah I don't like the rapid LED as much as the reef breeders. But yeah the colors on your tank are pretty nice what fixture you get?

Dumb question but who's tank have you seen that you didn't like? Unless you see it in person I would suggest not talking down about it. Taking pictures with LED tanks isn't as easy as you would think. Do what you want but I'm curious as to who's tank you saw that didn't look good. Sure I'm a bit biased but would love to talk to the person that doesn't have them setup properly as I'm sure that's what it is.

Honestly I like the a350w And feel it would do great over my nano cube. And think it could produce great results. But feel that buying the kessil is an easier choice then moding a hood. But not cheaper by far. I've seen a kessil a350w and loved it. But honestly from more research I've done and ppl I've talked to. Diy seems to be the best option for a lot of ppl. Price, and ability to target specific colors, and being able to adjust in a many amount of spectrums. The kessil you can't. Only dimming ability.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Dumb question but who's tank have you seen that you didn't like? Unless you see it in person I would suggest not talking down about it. Taking pictures with LED tanks isn't as easy as you would think. Do what you want but I'm curious as to who's tank you saw that didn't look good. Sure I'm a bit biased but would love to talk to the person that doesn't have them setup properly as I'm sure that's what it is.

This is why I said you should go see some peoples tanks using different kits. I wasn't sure I liked the look of NoobtoSalt's in pictures...but then I saw it in person and instantly knew I wanted a similar setup. All cameras tweak out bad when you take pictures of most bright lights, definately need to see in person to appreciate. Your more than welcome to come check my fixture out, i'm sure Jessie would show you his too, definately check em out before you buy.

I don't like them as much as they are not dimmable... And if I put them in my biocube hood what do I do when I upgrade? The reef breeders are just more manageable. Don't get all mad about it cause I don't like the lights as much? (scratch)