I know we have some hand gun people on here =)

Jeramy

I just bought my first handgun today. I have been doing a lot of research and asking around for a solid easy to learn reliable gun for a first time hand gun owner.

http://www.ruger.com/products/p95/models.html

I got this and have taken my classes but still want to do some more feild training with it before I will feel comfortable carring it. As a father with small kids I know no gun is safe but this one did have some really apealing saftey features which helped sell it to my wife. Of all the guns I looked at this one felt best in my hand and the price was right only $289 with 2 15 round clips I got off for less then I thought I would. how ever I do have to put off upgrading my tank for a while but I am ok with that. =)

Not a bad little pistol at all! I have a Ruger LCP, an LC9, and an SR40 and alternate carrying them depending on the situation. I have a couple other Ruger firearms as well and have enjoyed all of them.

Definitely spend some time at the range and blow through some rounds. Make sure and shoot the type of round you intend to have in your gun when you carry. Also, I like to blow through all the rounds I carry, about every 4-6 months. This way I know I am replacing the magazines with fresh carry rounds. Primers can get gunked up if you carry often and you definitely want to make sure and have fresh, clean, reliable ammunition when it's needed most.

Shoot, shoot, and shoot more. Get real familiar with your new tool :)

Yes! Guns were my first hobby. My list is too long, i think it just passed 2 dozen...even split of handguns, shotguns and rifles.

I highly recommend the steyr m9-a1. My favorite next to sigs (for handguns). I love revolvers for carry, stealth, accuracy and reliability.

I do plan to get as much practice as I can before I even think about carring a gun because it wont do any good if I cant shoot it. I really liked the sigs but they were a little out of budget maybe my next one cause lord knows you cant just have one =)

Big fan of the Sig myself. I carry the 229 and love it. I have owned the Ruger handguns in the past and have nothing bad to say about them. They really are a solid firearm and very economical. My suggestion,since you have young'ns, would be to invest in a simple gun lock or other device to keep curious hands away. I may be stating the obvious though.

Have fun and happy plinking!

My fiance brought up a discussion about guns the other night. She wanted my opinions about having a gun in the house. She was interested in target shooting. We got to talking about what we would want in a gun. Hands down, the only thing I would be interested in owning would be a long barrel revolver. It was funny she mentioned that the obvious advantage of a revolver is that it doesn't leave behind eviden... er... shell casings. She's from Philly.

Take your kids to the range/shooting with ya-I was raised around guns and was taught at a VERY young age the dangers- no gun locks on any of my guns-last year when the psycho *** **** came to my house trying to kill someone in my house I was glad my sig 220 was at my side ready to unload 9 safety slugs into him had he decided to further his pursuit into my home, lucky for him, as stupid as he was, he was smart not to.

I have almost as money guns as corals-(scary)

Jeremy check out Tri County the are close and hands down the best place to shoot of all the ranges I have been a member of.

For your next pistol my advise is to get a .45, it'll stop any meth head dead, at least thats what my LE shooting friends say.

Nice 1st gun-what a proud moment(clap)

My fiance brought up a discussion about guns the other night. She wanted my opinions about having a gun in the house. She was interested in target shooting. We got to talking about what we would want in a gun. Hands down' date=' the only thing I would be interested in owning would be a long barrel revolver. It was funny she mentioned that the obvious advantage of a revolver is that it doesn't leave behind eviden... er... shell casings. She's from Philly.[/quote']

That ones a keeper and since there seems to be so many experts right now..... questions....hows the kick on that gun Jeramy? My hubby wants me to learn to shoot and is recommending a glock 9 (not sure if that's said or spelled right) because he says there's almost no kick and my little 95lb self would be able to handle it easily, any one able to confirm this? You said yours had a lot of safety features though Jeramy and I'd be interested to know more about those?

Great past time - guns especially reloading them - comes out less $$ going down the barrel and as many as I have and use to shoot competition as well saves a lot of $$ for coral (laugh) (laugh)

First wildcat - 30 Herrett Thompson Contender 10", used for metallic silhouette

The safety also acts as a de-cocker to safely drop the hammer also when the safty is on the trigger will still pull but nothing happens, also it is a double action trigger which has a pretty stiff pull which would make it very hard for little hands to achieve. (its not a hair trigger by any means) as for the kick I have not taken it to the range yet but it is only a 9mm so I dont think it will be bad at all.

That ones a keeper and since there seems to be so many experts right now..... questions....hows the kick on that gun Jeramy? My hubby wants me to learn to shoot and is recommending a glock 9 (not sure if that's said or spelled right) because he says there's almost no kick and my little 95lb self would be able to handle it easily' date=' any one able to confirm this? You said yours had a lot of safety features though Jeramy and I'd be interested to know more about those?[/quote']

Prtty much any 9mm will be good-go to the stores and see what feels good, all depends on the size of your hand-I just love sigs after owning most others

The safety also acts as a de-cocker to safely drop the hammer also when the safty is on the trigger will still pull but nothing happens' date=' also it is a double action trigger which has a pretty stiff pull which would make it very hard for little hands to achieve. (its not a hair trigger by any means) as for the kick I have not taken it to the range yet but it is only a 9mm so I dont think it will be bad at all.[/quote']

Very similar to the sigs-you got big hands you'll be able to shoot that all day long-I'll say after a day at the range shooting my 1911 .45 my palm is SORE-that things punches back, could be worse you could be on the receiving end-(scary)

+1 for reloading-after Yomama was elected (I mean Obama)it took close to 4 months before a person could even find reloading components, so being the hoarder I am I bought enough to reload about THOUSANDS of rounds for all my toys

Safety is everything with kids. Mine started shooting at 4 to 6 and I would have it no other way. They need to learn to respect guns and understand how dangerous they can be, even if you don't like guns and don't want one in your home. Someday that child will go to some gun owners house when they are not home and a child will pull out a gun to show your kid.... you fill in the blanks. Educate and lock them up.

i have a couple pistols but my all time fav is my 1911 if i was going to go witha concealed weapon there is a lot of good ones to choose from but me personally i would get a glock gen3 or gen4 doesnt matter if its 9mm,40mm, the reason i say the glock for conceal is because it has the fewest moving parts out of any handgun made i think its around 215 or something and the ruger has over 300 but it just boils down to personal preference. but i personally dont own a glock but for someone new to the hobby they are great guns a very reliable cops all across america dont use them because there bad guns, but dont let someone sell you the gun saying oh it holds 14+1 rounds cause my opinion is if you cant do it with 2 you shouldnt be carring a gun in the first place IMO. now others might completly disagree with what i have said.

Safety is everything with kids. Mine started shooting at 4 to 6 and I would have it no other way. They need to learn to respect guns and understand how dangerous they can be' date=' even if you don't like guns and don't want one in your home. Someday that child will go to some gun owners house when they are not home and a child will pull out a gun to show your kid.... you fill in the blanks. Educate and lock them up.[/quote']

X2. If everyone was educated properly there would be far fewer accidents.

cause my opinion is if you cant do it with 2 you shouldnt be carring a gun in the first place IMO. now others might completly disagree with what i have said.

There is no substitution for range time and training to prepare yourself. I have a gun range on my property and have shot tens of thousands of rounds. I'm very confident in my ability to hit what I aim for in just about any situation. But I know if the time ever comes to actually pull the trigger, that is a whole new game. You can't replicate that kind of stress. I would rather have 14+1 because I'm not going to stop until the threat is stopped.

i agree with you nate never hurts to have more bullets but being in the infantry and being deployed to afganistan has its advantages to stressful situations all im sayin is if you are not confident that you can neutralize the threat in 2 shots then you should not worry about shooting 15 cause at the point you are putting other people in danger IMO.

Jeramy,

Welcome to another highly addictive and expensive hobby(laugh) With little ones around, you might want to give the Gunvault safes a look. If my carry piece isn't on my person, it's in a gunvault multivault. It's not strong enough to keep a determined thief out for long, but it is more than enough to keep curious little hands away, and still allow you to get to your pistol in a couple of seconds if you need it.

Now go shoot the heck out of that thing, so you are comfortable with it. If you are going to carry it, take a look at Crossbreed holsters. Handmade in the US, lifetime warranty, comfortable as heck, and they also have a blems/seconds website that you can sometimes save a few bucks. I have Crossbreeds for both of my carry pistols and will never buy anything else again.

Warms my heart to see all the 2A friendly people out there(clap)

And Hatcher2014....Thank you for your service!

i agree with you nate never hurts to have more bullets but being in the infantry and being deployed to afganistan has its advantages to stressful situations all im sayin is if you are not confident that you can neutralize the threat in 2 shots then you should not worry about shooting 15 cause at the point you are putting other people in danger IMO.

That is very good point. Obviously you have been in the type of situations the rest of us pray to never be in. My post probably came across different than I intended. I don't think the high cap is necessary (my standard carry gun is not), but if all else being equal, size, weight concealment, ect. I will pick the extra rounds.

I am also firm believer that people shouldn't own / carry, unless they practice, train and continue to practice. Shooting half a box at the range after buying the weapon is not adequate. Those are the type of people that could potentially injure innocent bystanders.

Thank you all for the great advice , I do take gun ownership very seriously and will practice and train with my weapon an a regular basis to not only develope the skills needed but to also keep them honed and fresh over the years =)